Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
8:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's true...I've driven many a mile with a 60-Series and many with a 3406e, both ten speeds, no idea the gears...just a company driver. Also have a fair amount of time with a new DD-13. The truck above just has a C-12. Of all of them, the 3406 is my favorite. For some reason I just like Cats although the DD-13 really does lug down and still pull like a 60-series could only ever dream of

3406 Spacer? Set at what 425, 475? The Cat is a great engine no doubt, but if a 60 Series is set up the way the engineers designed it to be it will eat the Cat or the Volvo. Trouble is most trucking companies have them governed down out of their power band, leaves many to believe they are gutless wonders.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Don't know if the 3406 was spacer or not, been over 16 years since I drove that truck. I do remember it was 475hp though and electronic. I believe it was the last of he 3406 before they went to C-xx models

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't know if the 3406 was spacer or not, been over 16 years since I drove that truck. I do remember it was 475hp though and electronic. I believe it was the last of he 3406 before they went to C-xx models

Probably a Spacer then, great engines, basically the same thing used in a D8 and D9 dozer.

bplust

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yep, it's out in the worst of the worst, and no matter how diligent you may be with the pressure washer, the salt eventually wins

Fluid Film FTW. My 1988 Toyota Pickup is cleaner underneath than the majority the 10+ year old cars on the road around here. I've had incredible results with the stuff; spray it on and do NOT wash the undercarriage all Winter until Spring. I live in Northeast Vermont, 30 miles from Canada, and 5 year old vehicles failing state inspection due to rust/rot is not uncommon.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stainless Steel boxes work. We have them on a few flow boys that also did plow duty. Actually they have already ridden three chassis each. The two new trucks for this year have stainless steel boxes.. And we plaster fluid film everywhere on our trucks. Especially on the wing slides/posts.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fluid Film FTW. My 1988 Toyota Pickup is cleaner underneath than the majority the 10+ year old cars on the road around here. I've had incredible results with the stuff; spray it on and do NOT wash the undercarriage all Winter until Spring. I live in Northeast Vermont, 30 miles from Canada, and 5 year old vehicles failing state inspection due to rust/rot is not uncommon.
+1 on fluid film FTW! I bought the undercoating Gun and extensions a couple years ago and have been very pleased with the results. My old 99 Dodge is a native N.Y. truck with pre existing rust but the fluid film has dramatically slowed down the rot. I’ve seen 10 year old vehicles that have had fluid film treatments since new and they look new underneath, great stuff.

Since we’re talking diesels here’s my little 5.9 Dodge, not a 13 liter snow beater but a good running truck. My 14 year old got a twinkle in his eye when he was goosing the throttle so I had to get a video. I think I’m in trouble when he starts driving...lol!

Last edited:

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m jealous of your guys trucks! I work for the county and we just started buying tandems with wings. They are Allison but quite under powered with the 350hp 8.3 Cummalong in them. Before those we had mostly single Axle Sterling’s with the 215hp 3126 CAT in them and 9 speed tranny’s. Talk about dogs, they were it! The Binders with 466’s would run circles around them

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Spike60 With a $50.00 rebate from Husqvarna on the 365 and 372xp and 372xpg, do I take this as clearing the way for the new 572xp and that a "G" model will be offered?
https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/offers/pro-handheld-rebates/

No Steve; just being aggressive on the pricing. The 372 will continue to be made through 2019. They want to run it concurrently for a year as the 572 gains acceptance. (doesn't look like it will take very long).

There will be a 572XPG. Unlike the 372G or the prototype 572G that I had, they are sticking with the same top and air filter on the 572G and not going to the 565 filter set up.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now I don' know if this can be addressed or not @Spike60 but when you had them prototype 572s how often did they come back in to you? Was their any problems with the AT system ?

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Amazing how many people are not concerned with the actual weight of this saw when they thought it was a big deal when the weight of the 362 Ver I was erroneously listed as being heavier than a 562.

Is there really any value in dredging up that debate about 2 different saws from 7 years ago that have both seen significant changes since then? That's how these threads go off the rails.

Mike, I think the point here is that with the published weight being a half pound more that the 372XT, there was naturally some concern that the saw was going to be too heavy. But they did such a good job distributing that weight and balancing the saw that guys pick it up and really like the way it feels. So, what they've given us is a saw with a beefed up bottom that still feels and handles real good. So, we're pretty happy to have it come out that way......................... even if we have to buy another air filter. :)

And we're not getting the snow this time up here! Hope you don't get clobbered over your way.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now I don' know if this can be addressed or not @Spike60 but when you had them prototype 572s how often did they come back in to you? Was their any problems with the AT system ?

None. In fact the AT steered me to a problem that would have taken a while to find otherwise. One of the saws just wouldn't run. Start and quickly stall. Plugged it in and the CST told me the problem was with the "red wire between the coil and the AT module". Sure enough, the insulation was worn where the wire passed through the case and was shorting out.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
None. In fact the AT steered me to a problem that would have taken a while to find otherwise. One of the saws just wouldn't run. Start and quickly stall. Plugged it in and the CST told me the problem was with the "red wire between the coil and the AT module". Sure enough, the insulation was worn where the wire passed through the case and was shorting out.

That's awesome!