The Hell with August!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
4:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I popped the cherry on the 572. Ran the first tank through it on Friday afternoon. Just a boring cut after cut on a 28" dirty, frozen ash log. to get some time on it. Like the 2 prototypes I had, the "oh wow!" isn't there out of the box. Wasn't ready to pick a fight with XP Slinger's ported XPW. :)

Yesterday we ran a couple more work tanks through it and she's starting to wake up pretty good now. Halfway the third tank you could feel it gaining power. Call it a tie with the XPW that Walt brought down, and it's not all there yet. The 572 doesn't mind being pushed on at all. Not much vibration as we'd expect. Feels like running a big 562, so if you like the feel of that you'll love this one.

Hot start: Temp was only 45 yesterday; not exactly mid summer. But the saw restarted on one pull all but two times, and one of those was after I refilled it. To me, and most of the market, this is more important than whether or not it can beat ported 372's. The hot start thing was what made the 562, especially the early ones, frustrating to a lot of guys. The problem seems to be licked with this saw. We took it back to the shop and plugged it into the CST, and the carb temp never went higher than 84 degrees. 562's would typically see 120-130 degrees. Walt's 560 "old man saw" also had low carb temps, but it's muff modded to get some heat out, and it was used lightly on smaller wood yesterday. The 572 made all of the bigger cuts and saw the most run time. So, I'm actually thrilled with that whole deal.

There is a video going to show up on Walt's channel, probably later today. We took the covers off to have a look inside, and we showed where hooked it up to the CST.
Really good to hear the hot start issue seems to be non-existent on the 572. Love the big bearings and full circle crank, that’s a little extra weight I’ll gladly carry around.

Did you get a chance to check compression yet Bob?

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
4:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have to admit I have used Stihl saws for a lot of years and only the 395 and the 3120 if the 572 is cheaper in price to the 462 I will definitely be buying a 572 on release both of the leading brands have produced an excellent saw this time around and I feel it will come down to a $$ value just my 2 cents worth

Last edited:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have to admit I nave used Stihl saws for a lot of years and only the 395 and the 3120 if the 572 is cheaper in price to to the 462 I will definitely be buying a 572 on release both of the leading brands have produced an excellent saw this time around and I feel it will come down to a $$ value just my 2 cents worth
100% agreed. They both seem to be great products, I’d be proud to own either of them...or both:)

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't disagree with any one's comments, but for myself, in this size saw I would likely go with the lighter one, all else being equal. If I'm gonna mill, I'll use a larger saw.

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't disagree with any one's comments, but for myself, in this size saw I would likely go with the lighter one, all else being equal. If I'm gonna mill, I'll use a larger saw.
I wouldn’t expect any other comment from you unless of course the Stihl would be heavier then I’d suspect you’d rather have the heavier more robust built saw

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn’t expect any other comment from you unless of course the Stihl would be heavier then I’d suspect you’d rather have the heavier more robust built saw

Amazing how many people are not concerned with the actual weight of this saw when they thought it was a big deal when the weight of the 362 Ver I was erroneously listed as being heavier than a 562.

I think this is going to be a good saw, and I'm not knocking it at all. In fact, looking forward to running it at the NY GTG.

I mostly have stuck with Stihls for bar compatibility, etc. Not that I don't like other saws, but I try to keep my life less complicated.

I also like that I can use the same filter on the 261 + 362, and the same with 044/440, 460, 066/660. Only having to stock 2 types also keeps it simple.

Wish a 462 would show up also, but I guess we will just have to wait.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meanwhile, Bob is prepping Snow Blowers!!! The prediction for us just recently changed from 1-3 to 10+!!!

Plus, more high winds and downed power lines. It is very rare that we still have snow on the ground going into April ... stay tuned! Lots of people around here have lost power for several days. Crews from Canada and all over the country have been coming here to fix things ... cause we sent our crews to Puerto Rico!!! You just can't make this stuff up!

Happy Spring!