STIHL Progressive Depth Gauge Tools

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For 325 the Stihl's Hard setting is still definitely more aggressive than Husqvarna's. The picture below shows a raker that was

1. Filed with Husqvarna in the hard setting
2. Marked red
3. Filed (just two swipes) with Stihl in hard setting.

You can see that a lot comes off, and it's a steeper angle - the bottom portion came off first.

878f6c699ac06095de0798e3e99ea6d7.jpg

Last edited:

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need to spend more time with each, but from first impressions I like the Stihl a lot.

1. It fits on the chain much better than the Husqvarna. The opening on the Husqvarna isn't wide enough for the gauge to stay parallel to the chain, so the bottom never quite sits nicely on the straps. It's also inconsistent whether the position should be based on where the base hits the next cutter or not, because sometimes the raker isn't in the hole when you do that.

2. I always wanted somewhere in between Husqvarna's Hard and Soft setting. Stihl's Hard seems to be exactly this.

I need more time with the stihl, but I think I'm going to like it.

One thing I'm not crazy about is that the markings on the Stihl are going to wear off as you use it. What were they thinking there?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would be interesting to learn more about the design intent, including the 'crown' area. But it has been hard enough getting STIHL to acknowledge that these even exist!!!

One thing I'm not crazy about is that the markings on the Stihl are going to wear off as you use it. What were they thinking there?
Label Maker Tape is your friend!

Roller Guides 2.jpg Roller Guides.jpg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just had a scoot through a German or Dutch 2017 catalogue. They are there :rolleyes:

:BangHead:
View attachment 208636
Not German, most likely Dutch or similar Scandinavian language.

Now I have to take a second look at my Croatian catalogues, maybe I missed them not knowing what to look for.

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, are the Stihl gauges made out of hard stainless or just soft mild steel like the Husqvarna gauges?
I have no idea, but I filed a grand total of 3-4 cutters and you can see mine are scratched badly already (in the pics above). I'm not optimistic about how long they'll last.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, are the Stihl gauges made out of hard stainless or just soft mild steel like the Husqvarna gauges?
I have no idea, but I filed a grand total of 3-4 cutters and you can see mine are scratched badly already (in the pics above). I'm not optimistic about how long they'll last.
I have always been reluctant to file hard against any type of depth gauge guide.

If the guide is soft, you will file it away / change the setting. If the guide is hard, you will wear the file teeth unnecessarily.

I typically place the guide, eyeball what needs to be removed, remove the guide, take a few file strokes, re-check, etc.

Replacing the guides is not a big expense, but in this case, they are not easy to obtain.

Philbert

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
. . . Replacing the guides is not a big expense, but in this case, they are not easy to obtain.

Philbert
Just negotiate a standing monthly or so order with anyone whom can get them, problem solved. ;)
Or get a bunch at once and order more once Your stock runs low. :)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
25 HRK (Croatian Kuna) a piece.

Google currency conversion translates that to 3.72$, but PayPal currency conversion is less favorable and it'd be about 4$ or so.

Croatia has 25% VAT, so usually everything is more expensive here than in other European countries.
The sellers added profit margins don't help either.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
10:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I thought about the laser etching being filed away, maybe as Philbert says. mark on the underside. Why stihl only marked them where they did. Made me wonder what that dumbfuker disigner didn’t see coming.:rolleyes:
.Also thought about the scratching/filing it thinner.. what about measuring the thickness of the guides. It would give you an idea of the life of the tool

Surely it should take some time before it makes some difference and you got measurements ;)

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
12:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Okay, I've got everyone sorted that had contacted me initially about these raker guides. I've got some leftovers.

3x FL1 1/4p
2x FL2 3/8p
2x FL3 .325
4x FL5 .404

Come and get 'em. I have more FL4 3/8"'s regulars on order.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
12:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Okay, I've got everyone sorted that had contacted me initially about these raker guides. I've got some leftovers.

3x FL1 1/4p
2x FL2 3/8p
2x FL3 .325
4x FL5 .404

Come and get 'em. I have more FL4 3/8"'s regulars on order.

Some fellas have contacted me and claimed some of these, so updating below.

Quantity update (available):
3x FL1 1/4p
3x FL5 .404

On order (available):
2x FL4 3/8