High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Progressive depth gauge tool for Stihl 3/8" picco LP?

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
10:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey gang,
Looking for suggestions here. Not sure if it makes a difference using the Stihl picco chain vs the Husqvarna, but regardless, I need a progressive tool to set my rakers.
I understand Carlton has a file-o-plate, but have heard it is for their chains, which have different angles? Husqvarna doesn't seem to have one for the 3/8" LP. I see standard 3/8" and 3/8" mini.
Anyway, any suggestions appreciated.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure if there is a tool that will set your depth gauges progressively. Some have soft/hardwood settings, some simply measure .020" but I am yet to see anything that will correctly set height no matter how far a cutter has been worn. I just maintain the 6-8° 'angle of attack' and don't get to scientific about it. Not sure how a tool maker would go about making something to adjust raker height in a progressive manner for all makes of chain, it would be kinda tricky. My answer is not what you wanna hear but that's how I see it.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for replying @CR888 I appreciate it. I guess I was hoping for something along the lines of the husqvarna style, that lets you keep lowering the depth gauge as the cutter gets filed down. O see one for the standard 3/8", and others, but nothing for the 3/8" LP.

Looks like this;

depth_gauge_1_1.jpg

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
9:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
set them at 0.25 or 0.30 i use just the standard oregon set up.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FYI, that part number is not a progressive tool. I just got it, it's the type that lays flat on top of two cutters, so no change as they wear.
The search continues.
IMG_20160422_104026703.jpg

Last edited:

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bump.

I just bought the Husqvarna depth gauges for 3/8, 325, and 3/8 lo pro. The first two are progressive, the 3rd is not.

WTF? Why would they make them differently? Maybe the lo pro cutters are so tiny that you don't need any variation as they wear?

Does no one make a progressive 3/8 lo pro gauge?

Last edited:

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Was thinking how the file o plate works. Lp and .325 cutters are both short. There is about 1/8 difference from the bottom of the raker and back of cutter - .325 less. Wonder if you can modify .325 plate by slowly taking material out where the plate hits the back of the cutter while progressively checking the 6-8 degree angle of the cutter to raker. Rational- Regular 3/8 plate would drop too low due to the shorter lp cutter. .325 would not drop low enough due to the shorter distance between cutter. I'm not sure on where the .325 slot would drop over the lp cutter. It may need side to side adjustment. Just an idea.

Edit : adjustments would need to be done on a new lp chain. There's an angle meter app that works pretty good on a smartphone that I've used for checking my rakers.

Last edited: