Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FYI - I received a reply from a representative of STIHL in Europe that these depth gauge tools have been available there since 2016.
Guess it takes some chainsaw nerds to get the word out?

Philbert
Out of curiosity I just zoomed through Stihl catalogues 2017, 2018 & 2019 - these depth gauges are not listed nor pictured.

Now, how can someone order something not knowing it exists? o_O

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
2:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Philbert did You get any info about availability/distribution in the US?
No.

STIHL moves in mysterious ways!

I don't understand their marketing strategies sometimes, but the Stihl family is a lot richer than me!

I have heard speculation that these might confuse customers trained to use their standard roll sharpening kit or 2-in-1 products (?).

I have heard speculation that their chains were tested for ANSI kickback ratings using the fixed offset method, and progressive guides might open up some liability exposure somehow (?).

But these are all speculations. They don't explain flippy caps. Or why .325 chains come OEM in .063 gauge and 3/8 chains come OEM in .050 gauge. Or why they won't sell heated handle saws available in Canada in the northern US states. Etc.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now, how can someone order something not knowing it exists?
At some restaurants, the best food is 'off the menu'! And some things shown in some catalogs are not necessarily 'available' for purchase.

I can't be certain when they were introduced. It is interesting to hear that they appear to be unfamiliar to folks in these threads, even those outside of the US.

Maybe we are just 'ahead of the curve'?

Philbert

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
3:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
c2210174e8faa2ad43d9ced5ab3c15dc.jpg
bcab85b303593cdd47e535ae5be030c9.jpg

Here is an example of using a Husqvarna guide which butts up against the back of the next tooth and the steel which seems to use the middle of the tie strap between them in this chain is a 33 RS buy stihl

Fair warning this is just my first time putting it on the chain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These are in no perticular order,,, but I know I need to spend more time on taking lots of pics,View attachment 208536
Great photos. Thanks!

In the last photo, I am assuming that the gauge is upside down - and that is why it is hitting the next depth gauge? That would limit the '2-sided' idea that someone suggested in one of these threads.

Philbert

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah, the Carlton file-o-plate used the back of the cutter like your Husqvarna gauge does. A positive-stop method that eliminates 1 plane of motion and angle from the user (me). That makes sense in my pea brain as it is a consistent point of reference with very little variation in the process. It works excellent on the full comp chain but works horrible on semi-skip or full-skip.

I have 1 of each size of the Stihl gauges on the way as I like the progressive depth gauge theory, but I am not sure I like the possible variability in mounting the gauge to the chain. It appears from the pictures that the user can place the gauge incorrectly on the chain (fore and aft as it relates to the cutter) and cause incorrect depth gauge angles and cutting depth. It does look like it will work much better for semi-skip and full-skip chain though.

Thanks for the pics!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the hole in the tool is set flush with the back of the depth gauge, and the sides of the slot are resting on the tie strap, it is only the height/position of the top plate cutter edge that varies - this is what controls the angle of the tool, and the height of the depth gauge which stands proud of it.

Philbert

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
8:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great photos. Thanks!

In the last photo, I am assuming that the gauge is upside down - and that is why it is hitting the next depth gauge? That would limit the '2-sided' idea that someone suggested in one of these threads.

Philbert

I was just seeing if it could be used both sides. By flipping it over .. yes it was on the next tooth. But I don’t think it made a difference.
This was a new ish chain and over time all the other teefs will get filed back..,, more experiments are needed..and Would have to be with new chains, this would be a good starting point.
At the time It was just really a thought of,,, i womder if this would change the height. Therefore to have more than 2 settings. Hard or soft... maybe little hard (more aggressive) or extra hard (less aggressive) Idk.
But the same goes with the soft setting

I just thought worth a try and see.. but I was short of time...and needed to take more detailed pics and measurements.
I think this would be where one of those angle finder things would hopefully tell the same as what the eye was seeing..
Edit: I guess they are made reasonably accurately, but all gauges would be a bit different..

Friday I will have more time and take pics un stuffs

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The directions on the packaging show that the top part of the guide should be up off the other tooth. (so it's upside down in the pics above). And that's good because I wouldn't want the other cutters to impact the depth of this raker.

What the directions do *not* show is where exactly you are supposed to position the raker within that square box. You can put it near the bottom, middle or top. And the box is pretty huge so it makes a big difference to the raker depth. You can even get the raker into that centered crown area up out of the box.

In some sense this is nice because you can adjust the height by choosing a different spot. After all, the difference between hard and soft settings on the gauge is just how high up the box is. And it's not that hard to eyeball an area and use it (or always rest the raker on the top of the box for consistency). But it would have been nicer if they put 2-3 stepped locations in each box so you can be perfectly mechanical and consistent about what you're doing.

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
8:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Out of curiosity I just zoomed through Stihl catalogues 2017, 2018 & 2019 - these depth gauges are not listed nor pictured.

Now, how can someone order something not knowing it exists? o_O

Thanks for looking for me... I thought I’d not seen them.. and as I said Fr Jones said they were new to them..

c2210174e8faa2ad43d9ced5ab3c15dc.jpg
bcab85b303593cdd47e535ae5be030c9.jpg

Here is an example of using a Husqvarna guide which butts up against the back of the next tooth and the steel which seems to use the middle of the tie strap between them in this chain is a 33 RS buy stihl

Fair warning this is just my first time putting it on the chain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your time and pics.. it saved a lot of explaining from me... it seems simple when you have the gauge in hand.

To everyone, ;)
Remember, this is a new tool to our box from stihl,, so we have to learn... and how to make the most of it, or tweek it for its uses :D

I do see this as a good tool. But if it’s not a stihl chain, you may find it will need a little filing for it to fit it ..
I say this because I have other chains, and I know not all chains are the same thickness ( gauge of steel).
Someone else can say what gauge variations that exists between manufacturers steel.

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just did a quick test on a 3/8 chain and confirmed that the Stihl's hard setting is a little more aggressive than Husqvarna's.

With the husqvarna gauge on hard, the file did not touch the raker.

With the Stihl gauge hard setting, I did manage to take a bit off the raker.

However, on the Husqvarna, if I move the gauge so the raker is lower in the box, particularly in the little bottom cut out, then it does indeed get it with the Husqvarna as well.

26de63783eb03bac77200148ef6b27e6.jpg
ae7f88dbe557f0ee3d86774880d0df10.jpg

0934887373b1d5c794941e59818d3e23.jpg

Last edited:

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also - I assume that tucking the raker into the top left or right corner, alternating for left and right cutters, is the way it's designed to be used. It's nice that the opening in the Stihl gauge is wide enough that you can keep the gauge straight while handling both left and right side cutters.

In these pics you can see the gauge is straight but the raker (marked red) move to a different corner of the box.
804d2c4a6ada7dc7ccabc5fa882cb96a.jpg

75528e13b5b9d2078e20d960024c001e.jpg

Last edited:

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just did a test on the soft setting. The Sithl is again slightly more aggressive than the Husqvarna, but only by a hair. The difference is smaller than the hard setting.

You also have the option of putting the raker into the little crown thingy at the top of the box. This makes the Stihl guide behave more like the Husqvarna. It doesn't feel like it's designed this way intentionally, but if it works, it works.

ee6e6d558169890fd67385ccba2b742f.jpg
2d996d3c82e1771c0aa8df5346a7fbf9.jpg

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, I'm convinced that center crown is *not* intended to be used.

1. For the 3/8 P size, you cannot even get the raker into the crown while the base of the gauge is on the chain straps. (Pic below of it fitting perfectly into the corner)

2. For the 325 and 3/8 P, the crown in the soft setting is actually higher up on the gauge than the box of the hard setting. So clearly the crown is not mean as a micro adjustment for both hard and soft.

However for 3/8's it slightly lower than Hard's box, but barely.

b52d5907cdb80e037de36f50337fd391.jpg