Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked up my parts orders today.
1. Thank you Dan for helping your fellow OPE members out.

2. They look so P-R-E-T-T-Y and shiny! They would make nice holiday decorations IMO.

Look forward to hearing what people think about them after trying them - positive or negative. They look very straightforward and practical; a successor to the famed Carlton File-O-Plate? And surprisingly affordable for something with the STIHL brand!

3. Maybe (?) we can be the 'nose of the camel under the tent' in getting STIHL to offer these in the US / Nort America?

Philbert

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
6:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
:)
Please let me know if you have any extras or get anymore sir.:)

I'm getting sorted with the guys that had initially asked for these then it's open season on the rest. I can order more once this round is exhausted.

Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
1. Thank you Dan for helping your fellow OPE members out.

2. They look so P-R-E-T-T-Y and shiny! They would make nice holiday decorations IMO.

Look forward to hearing what people think about them after trying them - positive or negative. They look very straightforward and practical; a successor to the famed Carlton File-O-Plate? And surprisingly affordable for something with the STIHL brand!

3. Maybe (?) we can be the 'nose of the camel under the tent' in getting STIHL to offer these in the US / Nort America?

Philbert
Should I get a few extras for the tree :elboinas:

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Wonkydonkey thanks Sean. Got them today in the mail. I’ll try them out soon. I’ll see how they compare to the husky ones
f8fc6c2b9423e52168a91bf334bc8b41.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, thanks Wonkydonkey!!!

I want to compare them to the Husqvarna gauges to see how the heights of the high and low compare. I often wanted somewhere between the Husqvarna Hard and Soft, so I'm hoping maybe the Stihl gets me there.

I don't know if I can get to it tonight though... I'll report back when I can.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FYI - I received a reply from a representative of STIHL in Europe that these depth gauge tools have been available there since 2016.
Guess it takes some chainsaw nerds to get the word out?

Philbert

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
4:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I spoke to Fr Jones, it was a new item for them.

I wonder if you look at an older stihl catalog are they in there ... I think I will try and hunt one down.

In the meantime, I had a 3\8 lopro out on a friends 170\1 today. It had an almost new chain on it. And I thought I’d try out these thingys..

Well we know a new out the box chain can need a filing, and this did, i took some pics but was a bit pressed for time. And pics are not from the best angles. I also checked out the soft wood setting after I filed the hard setting..

I also tried flipping the guide over, just to see if you can use it twice so to speak, anyways here’s a few pics.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Philbert did You get any info about availability/distribution in the US?

I set rakers by the feel of the chain.
Since I utilize 18-20" as my main B&C setups on nearly all saws I set the rakers to the capabilities of the specific PH - no Stihl depth gauge will get me what I am aiming for.