STIHL MS461 problems

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
9:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
His sig shows mobil 40:1. It does sound lean on the low. It is probably lean up top too. Congrats on the new saw... Do us a favor and take a quick pic of the piston in a few places in the exhaust port. If its getting that hot it may have some damage to the topend already well unless the mobil is so good it saved the saw. To hot to touch the top cover is a very very hot topend

took the muff cover off today and all good my son got some HP ultra and some fuel today
so tomorrow or Thursday I will take it out as I have the rest of the tree to cut up should take
around 3 tanks so that will give it a run .
I will be taking my 460 as well and my laser temp thingy and see how it go's if it gets up around
500F I will pack it up and take it back and tell them to fix it .

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
6:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took the muffler cover off today and all is well. My son got some HP ultra and some fuel today, so tomorrow or Thursday I will take it out because I have the rest of the tree to cut up. It should take around 3 tanks, so that will give it a run.

I will be taking my Stihl 460 there as well and my laser temp thingy and see how it goes if it gets up to around 500 F. If it gets that hot, I will pack it up and take it back and tell them to fix it.
I trust your saw will eventually run at least as well as your avatar delivers. Did I do OK editing your post to make it readable in the USA? Good luck, mate.

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I trust your saw will eventually run at least as well as your avatar delivers. Did I do OK editing your post to make it readable in the USA? Good luck, mate.

Hot dang mofo I dun gone out today and ran that sumabitch :drive: and shoot it run like a good coon hound more later . :thumbsup:

thought I would try sumfin different howed I do . :borra2::godsdrink0nw:

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok so I went out the other day and took fuel of 91 RON and stihl ultra mixed at 50:1
and the saw was a lot cooler as in the engine cover didn't even get hot and I took the
laser thingy as well and it never got over 373* even in the cut so until I can convince
my son we can do better things stay the same .

tune is still crap here is a vid of the flat spot on transition
well stuff it i'm done again it wont let me embed media ......

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
12:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to up load to YouTube, then when it’s on YouTube, you share the link, ie.. copy and paste the address here:);)
Edit..
Exactly what’s been done in post 9 and 18..

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to up load to YouTube, then when it’s on YouTube, you share the link, ie.. copy and paste the address here:);)
Edit..
Exactly what’s been done in post 9 and 18..

um well yep I'm not new to this ....... plus I have already posted several vids on this forum.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Change the limited coil to a 460 to make it unlimited
It will make it easier to tune when getting close to max rpm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that's an unnecessary expense for a stock saw, the 461s on our trailer have a muffler mod and just tuned under the limiter and they run great...stihl wants too much money for those coils.

Last edited:

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yep that's them but it wont let me embed them .
this what pops up every time I try .
!cs17.jpg

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yes its way lean and yes its all the way ..... I want to pull the caps and give it a MM
but my son wants to keep the warranty , I don't know why as in au it ain't worth the
paper its written on .....

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yes its way lean and yes its all the way ..... I want to pull the caps and give it a MM
but my son wants to keep the warranty , I don't know why as in au it ain't worth the
paper its written on .....
Have you talked to your dealer about it?

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
12:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What I did was look at a typical YouTube url address and look at the 3 you posted, which only showed my YouTube?
The Typical Is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxxxxxxxxxx
Yours were/are
https://www.youtube.com/edit?ar=1&o=U&video_id=Xxxxxxxxxxx

So somehow your posting this bit (edit?ar=1&o=U&video_id=) instead of (watch?v=) oh and the xxxxxxxxx is the vid Id.
So I changed the edit bit to watch bit for you,:)
Btw. I looked at your YouTube channel be for i played with the change of address, and I could not see those vids, I don’t know why, maybe a tick box thing (public)

Anyways, happy to help you with posting vids.....and that wood is like stone :eek:

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
hey wonky please don't take any of my reply's as aggression as it's not meant that way
thanks for posting the vids I think my comp is stuffted as its 8 years old and just a acer
aspire that should have been shot about 6 years ago .

anyway I will try and just poke along as I always do .