Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice. Is it stock or ported?
@CR888
One of each....1 is a strato-gutted ported by Snelerized saws made at Virgina Beach and the other is a stock Aussie delivered made in Germany saw. The ported saw really breathes air with an unloaded rpm just under 16k. Masdens has an interesting 'fact sheet' I read years ago on their site & it said something like a 90cc saw breathes in more air in an hour of operation than a human does in a year. Its something like that anyways. So hopped up saws have a serious amount of air moving through them, its pretty amazing really.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best air filter I’ve seen on a saw is the 20 year old design, high top filter setup that’s on a 394/395xp.
I would not contest this statement. While I have no experience with the 6100 Dolmar filter other than running my mates saw for a bit, they appear to 'look' good but not sure how that translates in the real world. But them 395xp filters are a damn good setup for such an old design. I am on the fence about this air injection stuff, the theory is great but it relies on the flywheel fan which is not the best location to draw air to the filter. Cooling the cylinder.....different story. We're a fussy bunch when it comes to picking on saws!

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Big mining truck use an awesome particle separation system for an air filter....but its like $20k worth of super high tech. Never needs cleaning the sand just falls out the bottom. Clever cookie designed them.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I've got this......

man-boobs.jpg
You bassturd

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
...1602 is the Winter Filter.
Unfortunately they don't have them here in the USA.
Is the winter filter metal mesh?
Dealer only had filters ending in 1600 and 1604.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The filter that ended in 1600 looked like yellow fleece. $13.90. Clear plastic skeleton inside.

Finnrpm

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
661 with max flow, was perfect for a few big logging sessions then started leaking chips through the middle, it had the black cover so changed for backing plate and it did it again, used grease, the little foam washer looks grotty as hell, caught it before it got to the carb

Put the hd2 back on for now till I can knock up a fix, got a backlog of things and the hd2 worked fine, it just needed cleaning constantlyView attachment 115125

Looks that you are missing the backing plate, that's the reason why you have a leakage.
If you have this kind of kit.....
661_kit.jpg
That black backing plate has to be there, if not it will not seal properly. With the kit which i got, the was a note that clearly notified how to position this plate. It has notches which goes up, you can even see the gap in your posted picture of the oil imprint in the foamfilter.....

@RI Chevy

In all seriousness, I've used the hd2 with the outer wears and its been great.
Fines never get past the outer wear.

I used outerwears also until noticed that it was binding between top cover and filter. After couple of tanks, there was a hole......

RV

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@RI Chevy

In all seriousness, I've used the hd2 with the outer wears and its been great.
Fines never get past the outer wear.

On which saw ?..I think outerwears ride the high hard one on the 440/460/461/660 saws with the stock cover.

Finnrpm

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I only have run outewears on my 261, that was the one rubbing on top cover and ending up making a hole on the outerwear. No experiences on other outerwear models......

RV

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I only have run outewears on my 261, that was the one rubbing on top cover and ending up making a hole on the outerwear. No experiences on other outerwear models......

RV

I've done it for about 5 months on 2 saws and dont have any holes...

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Looks that you are missing the backing plate, that's the reason why you have a leakage.
If you have this kind of kit.....
View attachment 115450
That black backing plate has to be there, if not it will not seal properly. With the kit which i got, the was a note that clearly notified how to position this plate. It has notches which goes up, you can even see the gap in your posted picture of the oil imprint in the foamfilter.....

I used outerwears also until noticed that it was binding between top cover and filter. After couple of tanks, there was a hole......

RV

Thank you, completely my mistake!!

Had been watching a redbull vid when it clicked!

Doh

Finnrpm

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, it was ok when i put it over the filter. One possible reason is that i messed up when installing it. When i noticed tear on the outerwear, i noticed that space between airfilter and top cover is small but inside the top cover are rather sharp edges or corners. Just might be that old saw ( 2010 ) has sloppy av-springs.
Anyway, that tear can and will be fixed with some glue. I have a spare outerwear, but i have to find the corner which is rubbing on the outerwear....:(

RV

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let me know how you make out with those frogskinz Ryan.

Last edited: