Stihl 261 mtronic air filter options

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
8:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear that adding Frog Skins on the filter covers helps. More air comes in from the sides instead of from the front.

Note: My comments apply to the 440/460/660 saws, etc.. I think the 261/362 saws already stay pretty clean.
Yeah I think if you were to add holes to a air injection saw cover it would not be a benefit. Probably let more fines in. The air coming off the flywheel is pressurized and putting a hole in cover would just defeat the system I’d think?

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With no other changes to the saw the pressurized air would tend to exit the holes/ frog skins.
Is the air injection a method of getting enough air to the carb due to the close fitting cover or is it trying to supply slightly pressurized air to the carb ?
I don't see Stihl trying to supercharge the motor with this but more of a large supply of cooler air for the carb.

If you redirected the forced air out the side of the saw then put a tube thru the airbox opening, cut the end at an angle so the forced air would induce a vacuum in the tube.
This vacuum could draw air thru holes/ frog skins on the cover supplying carb with clean air.

Seems like the air injection and any mods to it are just creating turbulence around the filter.
Smooth airflow to anf thru the carb puts more air into the motor.

What is Stihl's thinking on what this air injection is supposed to do?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 261 with outerwear cover.
This cover is brand new. I only used less than a tank putzing around and already a hole. [emoji52]
054af6a1b881f8fbe7b2662b7930d3e5.jpg
3c0e33688ad3794edf72204b5c002ee3.jpg
3b3aa932bb56f89608b28f08f03e9313.jpg

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup. I noticed that a fellow member posted a pic a while back that looked exactly the same.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup. I noticed that a fellow member posted a pic a while back that looked exactly the same.

Mine has a hole now too :( but I'm gonna do some shaving with a dremel to remedy that.

Or maybe it's been there for a while and I just didn't notice it, last time I checked it over good when we were talking about it it didn't..idk..

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got done sanding the spot down that I think was rubbing on it.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With no other changes to the saw the pressurized air would tend to exit the holes/ frog skins.
Is the air injection a method of getting enough air to the carb due to the close fitting cover or is it trying to supply slightly pressurized air to the carb ?
I don't see Stihl trying to supercharge the motor with this but more of a large supply of cooler air for the carb.

If you redirected the forced air out the side of the saw then put a tube thru the airbox opening, cut the end at an angle so the forced air would induce a vacuum in the tube.
This vacuum could draw air thru holes/ frog skins on the cover supplying carb with clean air.

Seems like the air injection and any mods to it are just creating turbulence around the filter.
Smooth airflow to anf thru the carb puts more air into the motor.

What is Stihl's thinking on what this air injection is supposed to do?
I’m sure there engineers spend a lot of $ and time in R/D. They also have computer created designs. I don’t think we should try to be smarter than the engineers. Improve what’s there...not rewrite the book imho. I also think they have to consider the epa regulations in designs.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes they know why they have this air injection.
Now what is their main reason for doing this?

Just trying to understand the design.
Because the old non air injection filter setup gets dirtier faster. The flywheel flings the heavier chips away by centrifugal force. The injection tube pickup the cleaner air nearest to flywheel fins then routes to airbox. Simple really. Filter stays cleaner for longer.

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My air injection port is plugged closed. I am still only getting fines in the filter pleats. Not much has changed. Although things may when I put some 1/2" holes in the shroud above the rear handle.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got done sanding the spot down that I think was rubbing on it.

Here's a weird one...

My OE 261 which I've used the most with the outerwear has no holes.

My new 261 does...figure that out.

My 241 has no holes, I use it a good bit.

I'm sitting at my bench looking at this *s-word as I type this.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder if the air inlet to the carb box from the flywheel supplies enough air To the filter area.

The felt filter can be gutted and covered with Uni foam, they sell it in sheets.

That's why I put a Frogzskin on Jeffs cover.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ryan, are your 261s both the same version? Or is 1 a version 1 and 1 a version 2?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which one cut the outerwear?