Stihl 029 super to 039 conversion

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
you can take the carb completely off and get the same as if the carb is on the idle position
Yep this one was measured with carb on and off same both times .

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah it does.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
You've got saws, go try it and report back. About 8 pulls with throttle wide open. About 8 pulls with throttle closed, choke closed or whatever, doesn't matter. It doesn't need to pull air through the carb.

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I usually just check compression without opening throttle. They seem to read about the same. If I feel the need to check the compression it's usually low.

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You've got saws, go try it and report back. About 8 pulls with throttle wide open. About 8 pulls with throttle closed, choke closed or whatever, doesn't matter. It doesn't need to pull air through the carb.
Right. It comes in the exhaust port if the intake is closed.

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a 390 P/C kit from machinesdoctoronline on ebay and noticed how little it takes to put the piston in the cylinder. I oiled it up like always, aligned the rings and lined the piston to the cylinder. I messed with it a little with the screwdriver to compress the ring a little but I think all I would have had to do is push it down. Maybe they've streamlined the ridges a little to enable you, like the MS250. A bit different than the first ones I did..

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok. It's rainy day so I'm getting some time in om this saw .I have a question . If the wires to the coil were on the wrong screw could that cause it not to run?

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok . I was looking at a diagram and it shows the ground wires coming from the top screw . I had them on the bottom .I was Just curious if that may have been part of my problem .

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, not your problem.

The later versions had a ground screw going to the coil mount and then has another wire coming off that going to the base of the cylinder. On the Farmertec cylinders, I use a #10 screw as the original screw is too loose and a larger screw won't fit through the hole in it terminal.

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, not your problem.

The later versions had a ground screw going to the coil mount and then has another wire coming off that going to the base of the cylinder. On the Farmertec cylinders, I use a #10 screw as the original screw is too loose and a larger screw won't fit through the hole in it terminal.
ok. I was just looking over the saw making sure nothing obvious was wrong and that caught my eye.

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well got it all back together now. Still ain't starting . Every time I crank it sounds like it wants to start. Screws are 1 turn out fresh 40.1 mix in it. I've cranked about 50 times . Spark plug had fuel on the tip .

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took it apart and put cabers in . That's the only think I did different that I know of.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check your ignition coil gap, spark plug gap and also spark plug boot, those will give you a problem from time to time.

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That all seems good I put a bussiness card between that coil and flywheel . The last time I tried it backfired back out of the carb .