Do you have another carb to try?

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
1:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It sheared because the nut wasn't tight enough. All the key does is serve as a guide for assembly. It does nothing to hold the flywheel in place. Lacking a torque wrench, add a pipe extender to your wrench when installing the flywheel.

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It sheared because the nut wasn't tight enough. All the key does is serve as a guide for assembly. It does nothing to hold the flywheel in place. Lacking a torque wrench, add a pipe extender to your wrench when installing the flywheel.
I'm sure it wasn't tight enough then. I lined it up and made it really tight and it started right up . :)

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sheared flywheel key. Found the problem. That's why the saw sounded "funny". Don't worry, you don't need the key to assemble the saw. Get yourself a sharpie and extend the groove line in the flywheel up and out of the flywheel so it will be visible when you put the nut on it. Degrease the crankshaft stub and mark a line up that groove as well. Essentially what you need to do is ensure everything is staying lined up when you assemble it. As suggested, once everything is where you want it, tap down (lightly) on the flywheel with a socket or piece of pipe to help it engage the taper of the crankshaft. Then install the nut and carefully tighten it down. Your extended lines will ensure nothing moved during the process. If it did, loosen it back up and give it another go.
This is your chance to slightly advance the timing if you want. (maybe 1/3 the width of the keyway). Make sure you move the flyheel in the right direction (counterclockwise in relationship to the crank)
Once you have it all torqued down, you're good to go. As indicated, the flywheel key is for alignment, it doesn't hold it into position, friction of the taper does that.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe I misunderstood post #205. You already have it going? If so, yea!

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the flywheel in the factory position now. I wanna run it a few times then advance the timing. Just to see of i can notice any difference. Lol .

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't advance the timing on the ones I refurb. But some people do.

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My 039 did not get any faster with a timing advance but I might test it again and see if I get different results.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have the flywheel in the factory position now. I wanna run it a few times then advance the timing. Just to see of i can notice any difference. Lol .
Make a video of it when you get a chance. I'm anxious to see how it runs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still waiting for crank seals for my 039 conversion so I decided to call the local Stihl dealer to see if he had them and how much they cost. Only $36 plus sales tax for the pair. I'll wait for my AM seals to get here...

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still waiting for crank seals for my 039 conversion so I decided to call the local Stihl dealer to see if he had them and how much they cost. Only $36 plus sales tax for the pair. I'll wait for my AM seals to get here...
wow!