So what did you do today?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ripped down my Asian 440 BB #2 today and replace the New West piston with an OEM Stihl 460 piston, which is lighter.

As a result, I think I got rid of the excessive vibration problem. OEM 460 is only 12% heavier than 440 piston, a Meteor 460 or New West BB is 20% heavier, and they just over load the little crank.

I'll save the heavier pistons for 460 builds, the heavier crank handles them just fine.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ripped down my Asian 440 BB #2 today and replace the New West piston with an OEM Stihl 460 piston, which is lighter.

As a result, I think I got rid of the excessive vibration problem. OEM 460 is only 12% heavier than 440 piston, a Meteor 460 or New West BB is 20% heavier, and they just over load the little crank.

I'll save the heavier pistons for 460 builds, the heavier crank handles them just fine.
Nice! It is what I noticed switching around different top ends, on my ms460 the big bore pistons were heavy and vibrative! Is the skirt length the same from the BB to meteor?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The New West BB pistons seem to have dimensions identical to OEM. The Meteor have slightly wider skirts. All 3 seem to have the same crown height and readily inter change, but the OEM are lighter than the other two (as are the OEM wrist pins, but I was already using one of them).

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, very nice Z!!! Back in the day, when I had my first Mustang (a Black 67 Fastback with a 289) one of my best friends had a Blue 69 Z-28.

We paled around all over together, and did insane stuff. One time we were coming up on a slow moving car like it was standing still and he passes on the left (in the wrong way lane) and I pass on the right (on the shoulder). We were young, crazy, and had a lot of fun.

Another guy I know bought it, restored it, and it is still in pristine condition (and he has 3 of them).

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
6:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, very nice Z!!! Back in the day, when I had my first Mustang (a Black 67 Fastback with a 289) on of my best friends had a Blue 69 Z-28.

We paled around all over together, and did insane stuff. One time we were coming up on a slow moving car like it was standing still and he passes on the left (in the wrong way lane) and I pass on the right (on the shoulder). We were young, crazy, and had a lot of fun.

Another guy I know bought it, restored it, and it is still in pristine condition (and he has 3 of them).

Now that guy with the 3 Camaros is a hoarder!

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Watched the northern lights from 0100 to 0300 this morning and then slept a few hours (not enough). It's thunderstorming here in Yellowknife, NT so we're in a McDonalds catching up on internet stuff. We've been car camping on this trip as all our funds are going into the gas tank. (gas about $5 per gallon here in this part of Canada.) The last few days visibility has been obscured by smoke from BC fires. (we're headed to BC later in the trip. I think we're north of most of the smoke now. Probably be in the Yukon before the week is out.