So what did you do today?

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Painting the ceiling in living room while everyone is asleep. That’s a hard task with toddlers running the house!

Processed an axis deer over the last two days

Put high flow piston and control bolt in 461 oil pump during quiet time it keeps up with cutting hard dry stuff now.
Was the axis deer from a game ranch or are those running around loose now? I know Texas has had some "exotics" that have developed populations outside their enclosures.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got out the plasma cutter and made a steel plate smaller. Made a 5 foot long cut in the 1/4" steel. Sure like that tool. Also serviced some saws, installed a ceiling fan and did some paperwork. Groundi made french toast for supper so my belly is full and I'm sitting in my recliner resting.

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was the axis deer from a game ranch or are those running around loose now? I know Texas has had some "exotics" that have developed populations outside their enclosures.
Free range axis there are tons of them around my folks place. I can’t afford hunting them on a game ranch and wouldn’t even if I could. The free range axis I took in the winter would have been about a $3000 animal if I had paid for a hunt + regular hunt fees. Took him and the 3 white tails stocked the freezer quite nicely. All for less than $200. Sure cheaper than the supermarket or butcher shop especially since I process my own.

Folks place is very overgrown cedar brush. The deer and axis use it for great cover. So good in fact that I lost the meat of the axis I shot in winter could find him until 3 days later. I was belly crawling to find him when I did find him. Lows in 30’s day time high in 70’s though he was spoiled before I could find him. Crawled into the deepest darkest brush pit he could find. Looked back over the shot about 45 min after shooting and realized I hit a 1” oak branch about 10’ from the muzzle and horribly gut shot. Very disappointed in that loss, but there was no salvaging it.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hunting in no snow areas definitely has tracking challenges. I usually use enough gun so the deer don't go far. The past couple of years I hunted with a .300 Weatherby but also use a .270 sometimes. Shot 8 deer this past year. We also process our own and it's our primary source of meat. I share with the kids and my sisters.

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hunting in no snow areas definitely has tracking challenges. I usually use enough gun so the deer don't go far. The past couple of years I hunted with a .300 Weatherby but also use a .270 sometimes. Shot 8 deer this past year. We also process our own and it's our primary source of meat. I share with the kids and my sisters.
I figured a 308 @ 48yds 185 grain should have put him down quick and it did with everything else that it has hit. Massive damage normally. My backup on that hunt was a 35 Whelen. That’ll barrel roll them into the next county though. 250 gr speer hotcor @2625 FPS is a bit hard on most game around here.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This portion of Ohio most likely has the largest white tail deer in the country .My lady friends deceased husband and one my best friend scored a buck that tipped the scales at over 400 pounds and was as large as the muley I have on the wall .It made the Ohio "big Bucks " .Taken with a 12 gauge rifled slug .The muley was in 1974, 30: 30 at 80 yards down hill ,near Vale Colorado .

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doing that thing nobody wants to be doing... it's 95° out and busy moving into a new place.

I swear its either the hottest or coldest day of the year when ya gotta move. I helped a friend move 2 years ago and it was 1 for the high. Bs I tell ya.

NYH1

Tactical Chainsaw Operator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Took my kids for their road test this afternoon.

My 16 year old son did great, he's part of the motoring public now! :campeon:

My 25 year old daughter didn't do so great, her motoring public status is hold a tad longer! :rolleyes:

Still love 'em the same.

NYH1.
Welp….she passed her road test today! :aplastao:

NYH1.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have tried my 20" .404" B&C setup on my PS-7310, not very impresssive cutting vise. The saw performed admirably.

I sharpened my worn Dolmar 099 loop and decided to promote it to "play chain" status.

I altered/customized my Dolmar 496 loop, and sharpened it. It cuts great without the peened over racker section. Needless to say it is no longer a Vanguard loop.
This is the new work chain for my PS-7310.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have tried my 20" .404" B&C setup on my PS-7310, not very impresssive cutting vise. The saw performed admirably.

I sharpened my worn Dolmar 099 loop and decided to promote it to "play chain" status.

I altered/customized my Dolmar 496 loop, and sharpened it. It cuts great without the peened over racker section. Needless to say it is no longer a Vanguard loop.
This is the new work chain for my PS-7310.

Was the .404 slow ?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was the .404 slow ?
To me .404" felt much slower than chisel 3/8".

But:
- the .404" is a round tooth, didn't even realize they make round tooth for large pitches
- the Dolmar 496 Vanguard 3/8" has been "tweaked", it no longer has the "Vanguard" feature and cuts quite well
- I only made one cut to see how it feels like, I'll be making a video running that .404" in oak on my PS-7310

I'll set up my PS-7900 with .404".
My PS-7300 will keep running the one 3/8" Archer chisel I have.
My PS-7310 will run the tweaked 3/8" Dolmar 496.
My PS-6400 will continue being on 3/8" Stihl Rapid Duro 3 (Carbide) duty.
The .404" is round tooth, the Archer and Dolmar 496 are chisel tooth, the Stihl Rapid Duro 3 is semi chisel - all are round ground/filed.
Only the Archer setup is 18", all others are 20".

Those poorly cutting TriLink chains will from now on only serve as backup loops and for bucking very dirty logs.