Simington / Silvey Square Chain Grinders Tips/Tricks/Secrets

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
5:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just told UPS to hold it off the truck so I will pick it up around 11 AM instead of by eight in the evening. Coincidentally right after I posted that my order was in a "your getting better" award was provided by this site. I will have to see if mine is #1859?
Mine is #1858, did you somehow know that?:shocked:

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine is #1858, did you somehow know that?:shocked:
Sure I have esp (extra smelly persperation) look at the picture you posted! SN # on outside of the squarish box (-;
Sposed to be here Tuesday...but a package that was going to be delivered 5 July was stuck ninety miles away according to the tracking number. Amazon charged UPS for the replacement which came twelve days late.

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a pic of first chips from a chain off this grinder, it's a stihl ps chain on a husky 335t in dry pineView attachment 138786
The second pic is the same chain after 3 tanks of fuel thru it in some pretty dirty white oak, was still cuttin pretty fair.

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The second pic is the same chain after 3 tanks of fuel thru it in some pretty dirty white oak, was still cuttin pretty fair.
I find that encouraging OG. Mine passed thru Kansas City earlier today, hope it isn't lost in Earth City depot, Post office supervisor I know ckecked on a late package at the depot for a couple days on a pallet of packages all coming to his office for final delivery. All to save a few cents a package times several million boxes a year
Edit: Made it across the state
This afternoon mine is trying to clear Earth City depot for pickup tomorrow

Last edited:

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now they claim it is in Farmington where I plan to pick it up. They never indicated it had left Earth City depot, so I'm going to sleep to wait till 11am to see if my grinder awaits me where the tracking info states they are

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I watched that video and was not impressed, it was certainly a simplified version. he showed nothing about dressing the wheel and his was dirty after he did the first side of the chain.
I did like running the cord down the pipe tho.
Because I cannot stand for the time it takes to do a chain I sit on a stool to grind chain, so I didn't lock the grinder to the pipe with the setscrew, when changing sides on the chain I just spin the grinder on the top of the pipe so I do not have to move physicaly , I did grease the top of the pipe.
You have to watch that corner carefully, as you grind and dress the wheel that corner keeps changing, you have to stay on top it.
It seems every chain is different, I've done lo-pro, .325, & 3.8, . I've only had this grinder for 4 days, I'm sure there is so much more to learn in the days to come.

brshephard

Stihl saws, Husky women
Local time
4:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I watched that video and was not impressed, it was certainly a simplified version. he showed nothing about dressing the wheel and his was dirty after he did the first side of the chain.

Dress with the wheel turning clockwise when viewed from above. This keeps the dresser in tension and reduces chatter.
Also dress from the working corner out.

Not the end all be all, just how I was told to do it.