Simington / Silvey Square Chain Grinders Tips/Tricks/Secrets

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dress with the wheel turning clockwise when viewed from above. This keeps the dresser in tension and reduces chatter.
Also dress from the working corner out.

Not the end all be all, just how I was told to do it.
So much more to learn. For example; write down when the depot is open! :confundio1: brain said 11- - - sign says 9 til 11:error:now the library is allowing me hours of viewing time with headphones to better learn:icon_pc:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I watched that video and was not impressed, it was certainly a simplified version. he showed nothing about dressing the wheel and his was dirty after he did the first side of the chain.
I did like running the cord down the pipe tho.
Because I cannot stand for the time it takes to do a chain I sit on a stool to grind chain, so I didn't lock the grinder to the pipe with the setscrew, when changing sides on the chain I just spin the grinder on the top of the pipe so I do not have to move physicaly , I did grease the top of the pipe.
You have to watch that corner carefully, as you grind and dress the wheel that corner keeps changing, you have to stay on top it.
It seems every chain is different, I've done lo-pro, .325, & 3.8, . I've only had this grinder for 4 days, I'm sure there is so much more to learn in the days to come.
Nice. Any pics of the teeth?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You need a new dentist. Lol
Just funnin

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing, in the video he used the stops for the swing arm to rest his hands on, I thought they were there to keep the cutters the same length, but maybe when I get more time on it I'll learn better.
As far as dressing the wheel, I think I read in this thread to turn it in the same direction you'll be grinding, so when you change sides, redress the wheel.

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing, in the video he used the stops for the swing arm to rest his hands on, I thought they were there to keep the cutters the same length, but maybe when I get more time on it I'll learn better.
As far as dressing the wheel, I think I read in this thread to turn it in the same direction you'll be grinding, so when you change sides, redress the wheel.
I know the stops can be debated. Hedgerow uses the stops to keep them the same length which is true but if you get one dinged up myself and AWOL both flew the arm down to make the corner. Neither me or alan use the stops. For a work chain I dont think it's as big a deal. Maybe for a race chain. Ymmv.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

junkman

Crush it
Local time
12:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know the stops can be debated. Hedgerow uses the stops to keep them the same length which is true but if you get one dinged up myself and AWOL both flew the arm down to make the corner. Neither me or alan use the stops. For a work chain I dont think it's as big a deal. Maybe for a race chain. Ymmv.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I use the stops ,mainly to keep raker height quick when doing them,as long as the rakers are set per tooth all the same ,the teeth can be all different sizes and cut strait .

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Dress with it running clockwise. You can damage the dressers running counter.

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 139066 Guess what I picked up at the ups depot? Somebody could have told me they put a little more foam mix than needed that glues the bottom half of the boxes five sides together PITA removing the box
Yeah, mine was like that too. I see you'r just 10# newer than mine.

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally got an opportunity to place a loop in place to see if I could see what I was doing. 32" loop that has been hanging around untouched for almost two years. Part of Mr. Klemp's estate that was included with an 066, a couple bars and seven loops which is what drew me to that auction.
Could choose a cutter or two that came out right, but it is not the same around the circumference as it should be. Doctor visit tomorrow afternoon, mechanic visit in the morning. What bothered me was not that I picked the wrong side for the bearing needing replacement. What troubled my wallet is that after the worse bearing was replaced the mechanic told me I had been half right, but the other bearing will be here in the morning.
There are some fat logs that wanna be noodled in between the rain Friday to see what my first time does in practice. And then take a closer look to start making notes