Simington / Silvey Square Chain Grinders Tips/Tricks/Secrets

Douglas Ostrander

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can do an advanced search on a computer with ebay. To the right of the search button it say Advanced. Then click on search including " sold listings".

In the app it is in the under the search filter under the more button. Sold items. Handy to determine what others have paid when listing an item.

Last edited:

Icepick69

Fart knocker extraordinaire.
Local time
11:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to tell, he could have a dummy account that "buys" it, the he just resists it. Ebay has no way of knowing.
He Must have. I tried selling a sdm-4 here. Maybe my price was to high.
Kinda hard to let it go for 500. But people looking sometimes will pay, I know I have for a few things I needed.

A100HVA

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi guy's
i've been reading this thread since it started with great interest. i just bought a simington from sven johnson. here's a couple of pics of my first try at grinding. this grinder is really hard to set up. i can see once i get the set-up right it will be good to go. i'm wonder'in if you guys tap the aluminium piece lightly to change postion of cutter?INTERNET POST PIC NO.475 Large Web view.jpg INTERNET POST PIC NO.476 Large Web view.jpg

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What model Simington is that? Some have a vertical adjustment in the arm. With those you adjust for/aft of the chain holder to get the correct angle of attack on the chain holder arc. Then adjust the vertical and lateral to hit the corner.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you go to the Simington web site, you will find links to video tutorials that will answer some of your questions. You have a 450 which is not quite as adjustable as the current model, but is still a nice grinder, especially if you don't have too much variety in chain types. The shape of the wheel is of utmost importance.

Last edited:

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
10:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
How does one go about re-profiling the wheel to maintain correct shape? How often might it need to happen, given chains that aren't throwing great chips, but aren't rocked and trashed?

I'm leaning towards a MAXX round grinder for wider application, as I also do some chains for my neighbors/friends, but with some exception (semi- for crap woods) I mainly run round chisel currently on my 50cc+ saws and mainly 3/8" which would have a square grinder doing the majority of my work. I do VERY much like how smoothly a good square chain goes through wood. I' just torn on spending the $$$ on a Simington, given I only do 10-20 cords/year. I guess it may be similar to investing in the REALLY nice progressive press.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How does one go about re-profiling the wheel to maintain correct shape? How often might it need to happen, given chains that aren't throwing great chips, but aren't rocked and trashed?

I'm leaning towards a MAXX round grinder for wider application, as I also do some chains for my neighbors/friends, but with some exception (semi- for crap woods) I mainly run round chisel currently on my 50cc+ saws and mainly 3/8" which would have a square grinder doing the majority of my work. I do VERY much like how smoothly a good square chain goes through wood. I' just torn on spending the $$$ on a Simington, given I only do 10-20 cords/year. I guess it may be similar to investing in the REALLY nice progressive press.
Depends on the stone but most of the time once per side on a 84 dl full comp

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can usually get one side of two loops 20-24" before dressing. Regardless you have to do a light dress when you change the direction sides of the chain and the direction of the wheel. The wheel gets smeared in one direction and when it's reversed it won't cut anything without dressing to a new surface.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, the time has come...I think I have finally found a decent grinder that someone is willing to part with. From what I can tell, a SDM-4. I have not seen it person yet, but I had a buddy snap a few photos for me. Upon checking it out for the first time....what are some things I should be aware of, and look for?

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good quiet motor, tight smooth movements, nothing missing
Shaun carr makes some replacement upgrade parts for the swing arm model and i think stuff is available for sdm4

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
SDM manual is vague at best.

RS is a similar unit and has more informative manual

Attachments

• SDM-4_Manual.pdf
    705.7 KB · Views: 6
  • R2_Manual.pdf
    886.6 KB · Views: 7

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the photos today...she looks a bit rough. Buddies grandpa owns it, and has barely used it in the last 15 years..had it rebuilt by silvey at that time. Looks like a razursharp and not a sdm-4.
FF7601AC-D2E1-4B3B-93D0-69E89001186C.jpeg

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't spend crazy money, but get it. Nothing that TLC won't fix and you know how hard they are to find in any condition...