Saw video thread

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
4:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@huskyboy how do you like your 6100? One is on my very short list of saws to buy as soon as I sell my 034s.
Best I can sum it up is it was 95 degrees and no shade and a miserable day to cut wood yesterday. I cut from 8:30-3:00 and the 6100 did not let me down. No vapor locking sitting in 90 degree sun. Smooth, entertaining saw to run. Gonna run it some more today, another 90 degree day. The saw can work longer and harder than I can. Only negligible thing I noticed on it is the L screw seems to be fussy and don't like to be set fat. Mines about 3/4 turn out on L and seems to be getting better and better as I run it more.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems like some with lightened pistons are better than others.
And, it seems, that some with heavier pistons, are worse.
288 piston in an 066 vibrates much worse than the stock piston does, (even if the stock piston saw has bad AV buffers)

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I noticed when I had my 365 closed port top end on my 372 it vibrated lot less than the big bore kit. A ported 365 topend going back on it, makes more power than the bb anyway.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al ... Re: ported saws ... I think it mostly just changes the frequency of the vibs, which some may like and some not.

A well balanced saw will vibrate less, but a single piston engine will never really be smooth.

Smoothest engines, in order, V-12, Straight 6, V-8. A 4 Cyl & V-6 typically need counter balancing shafts to make them seem smoother than they are. The V-6 is only common because it is easier to "package".

Last edited:

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al ... Re: ported saws ... I think i mostly just changes the frequency of the vibs, which some may like and some not.

A well balanced saw will vibrate less, but a single piston engine will never really be smooth.

Smoothest engines, in order, V-12, Straight 6, V-8. A 4 Cyl & V-6 typically need counter balancing shafts to make them seem smoother than they are. The V-6 is only common because it is easier to "package".

Opposed engines are the smoothest... no need for a counter balance on the crank. The only ones I can think of are the BMW motorcycle, VW and Porsche.

Single cylinders are by far the worst, you have to compromise the balance of the piston with the imbalance in the perpendicular direction that is created by the counterweight. Therefor most single cylinder engines are around 1/2 balanced.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The downside of opposing engines (in addition to the added width) is keeping the pistons out of the oil (unless it is a dry sump). For those 2 reasons, V engines have always been more popular.

Heffalump

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Mark running his Solo Twin...

.. and Dave trying to get a reading with his tachometer.

Those two plugs are so close to each other in the head that the reading pegs back and forth from about 3k to 6k. I should have hooked up the cable input.

Thanks for bringing it Mark!

X 66 stang347 X

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Don't forget a flat 4 no counter balance. You Wanna run that mustang [emoji846]

X 66 stang347 X

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes, the Subaru's are famous for oil consumption

True. Most of the engine failures is due to lack of oil. And the oil pickup cracking on the earlier models. But most want to use Mobil 1 and it sucks as a oil when it comes to consumption and protection.
Rotella 5w-40. 1/2qt between changes. That's with forged internals and 22psi.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
True. Most of the engine failures is due to lack of oil. And the oil pickup cracking on the earlier models. But most want to use Mobil 1 and it sucks as a oil when it comes to consumption and protection.
Rotella 5w-40. 1/2qt between changes. That's with forged internals and 22psi.
I use Rotella in some of my motorcycles, some folks laugh, some follow suit.

X 66 stang347 X

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Messing with ya. Lol. your running a supercharger right? My Stangs down needing universal joints And rear tires again. I'm tired of nos so I'm going with boost. I'm back and forth on going with a supercharger or turbo which is going to change my whole setup.