ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
12:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I got the red coil on this thing. This is the new P&C. I gave it more intake and exhaust. I dunno why. I just read crap here and it affected me. Anywho, I started it up and it ran great. Then it died and wouldn't restart. I was like, 'Oh no. Nononono.' Then I start to check it over and make sure it's not leaking nuttin or stuff's not come unattached, no gaps in the intake, etc etc. When I realise it felt a little light. I never thought to myself before 'Hey, this Dolmar feels a little light'. So, yeah, I filled the tank and she started right up :)

Sounding good how much difference do you think this one will be from the 1st one you done

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice.
The hills we have here I call Michigan mountains, they are basically just decent sized hills coming out of the river valleys, really makes a truck hauling 100k on a 50k setup work hard although they are only a few mile pulls at the most and the grade isn't that bad.
This morning at the house. This is how much sun we get today lol.
View attachment 219834 View attachment 219835
Some of the 70cc saws resting up for spring(and one 65cc iirc), they cuddle together when it's cold in the basement
View attachment 219836

You got everything in this photo didn’t realise you had so many saws begging to be used

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
She's a bit lean there. It's the same carb tuning on the old P&C I ported. Maybe her second heat cycle. I richened her up a bit for break in since. My tach does not like this coil. It maxes my tach at 12490 exactly then the tach loses it's mind. SO I dunno if it is actually going all the way to 13,5. I brought it up to the limiter on the H screw and gave her just a touch more leaner for now. Se is responding very well to carb adjustments. Not acting at all like she wants more air or juice than the carb can give(which prolly means my porting sux). Just 5* of timing advance gives this saw a different attitude from stock. Sounds much more aggressive. Flywheel is 12 grams lighter than stock as well. No balancing issues. She idles smooth compared to the old cylinder(but that coulda been due to the other coil) shrug.
It sounds angry, but compared to this little guy, the 288xp I did recently is deafening.
Thats how I adjust the limited coils out of wood, then dial them in once I get them cutting.
If the 288 was a twin, the 4300 would be one cylinder lol.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You got everything in this photo didn’t realise you had so many saws begging to be used
I don't know where they all come from lol.
I try to get them all out running at least every other month, I have to cut cookies or that would never happen, cookies burn well though :).

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounding good how much difference do you think this one will be from the 1st one you done
I used a different bit for the modified xfers. I was able to get a much sharper edge on it. It should run better this time. I ran some water through them and they swirl much better than stock.

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Tuned up the work bench. 1/2 MDF - had Lowe's cut it for nothing on their giant upright saw. Almost did not fit in the Jeep. LOL. Had a 4x3 ft copper sheet sitting in the garage for 5 years. It was part of an auction lot that I grabbed for something like 25 bucks. Couple pieces of copper, 3-4 1/2 sheets if plexy 1/8 - 1/2 " and some other stuff. Now I have to go through all the *s-worde that was sitting in top , organize and toss. How many random jars of nuts and bolts does someone need.... I'm a frickin hoarded with that junk. Lol
KIMG2799.JPG KIMG2800.JPG KIMG2801.JPG KIMG2802.JPG

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I just realised you might have meant the one you have right now?
Well, the intake and exhaust are much more aggressive. I made the exhaust sort of like a horn - like the exhaust you see on KART engines. So much of an angle that the gasket only fits one way on it. It also has more timing on both ends. I sloped the intake more downwards than the 420 you have, and went with more intake timing and less width. It seems to allow the saws to run richer from my experience. I've also done the same to my 044 and 288. Also ventilated the cover quite a bit. My 044 and 288 are stupidly loud, tho. They have huge exhaust openings. It not only helps with power, but it keeps the saws cooler. I have two outlets on this 4300. I think your 420 just has the one.

Your 420:

159686492.fA17O8WT.420ported2.jpg

Your 4300:

170249380.75g8qrh8.420_exhaust_4.JPG

159686707.XDCXFd7R.dolmar420c.jpg

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There saying we will get another 4" by Friday night. I thought for sure the precipitation that was coming was going to be rain with the temps they forecasted till next week. Don't get me wrong though, I'd much rather have the snow than rain.

Tbrown

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There saying we will get another 4" by Friday night. I thought for sure the precipitation that was coming was going to be rain with the temps they forecasted till next week. Don't get me wrong though, I'd much rather have the snow than rain.
At least it's looking ok after tomorrow for awhile.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just realised you might have meant the one you have right now?
Well, the intake and exhaust are much more aggressive. I made the exhaust sort of like a horn - like the exhaust you see on KART engines. So much of an angle that the gasket only fits one way on it. It also has more timing on both ends. I sloped the intake more downwards than the 420 you have, and went with more intake timing and less width. It seems to allow the saws to run richer from my experience. I've also done the same to my 044 and 288. Also ventilated the cover quite a bit. My 044 and 288 are stupidly loud, tho. They have huge exhaust openings. It not only helps with power, but it keeps the saws cooler. I have two outlets on this 4300. I think your 420 just has the one.

Your 420:

159686492.fA17O8WT.420ported2.jpg

Your 4300:

170249380.75g8qrh8.420_exhaust_4.JPG

159686707.XDCXFd7R.dolmar420c.jpg

Here's a pic of the modified primaries on the Donormar cylinder. On the Makita cylinder, I used a trapezoidal bit, so got a much sharper edge on the xfer, which allowed me to make it a bit smaller mod than you see in the pic(shorter with less slope needed in the primary) - so more velocity/pressure and less intrusive for the rings. But it looks similar to this pic, just a subtle difference. Randy always says to keep the top of the xfers tight. So I decided to go with that. I also added about 1.5* of timing to it(mostly to preserve the ring, really), and massaged the bottom of the cylinder a bit differently. I did not touch the other xfers. Yet. I wanted to see how the primary transfer modification would affect the operating characteristics first.
So the primary xfer modification/finger opens at 17* ish after the exhaust down to 19* for the main xfers. It is a smaller amount of timing even than it sounds because the finger is basically a tiny triangle pointing at the intake side. The tip opens at 17*. So it just starts the swirl and helps the exhaust scoot while the main part of the primary and xfers bursts open at 19* and floods the chamber. Exhaust at 110.5* ish with a roof to it, and intake at 75 - but it is a markedly different intake mod than in this pic(which is 73*). It is not as wide, flatter sides, and sloped downwards so the charge doesn't have to change direction so soon after it leaves the manifold. It all is going one direction now - directed more towards the crank. The exhaust opens conservatively at first because I didn't want to flatten the roof any over stock, but over all the exhaust on this jug is nearly half again the width what it was stock at the exit port. So the flow should be much faster. It definitely sounds like it.
I'd also like to note that the plating on the makita was much harder or thicker than on the donormar. Also, the compression is slightly higher. Dunno why. Maybe more squish. This jug is def a slightly diff design than the old 420 was, including a different(smaller) plug as well.
159686491.2K2uzNlD.jpg

170249379.YKRfilYG.jpg

Last edited: