Raffle For 3rd Annual MMWS GTG You Don't Have To Be Present To Win

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are they trolling this post or is there a glitch on where this metal working convo should be, but is showing up here.

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
6:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@blacksmith or any other blacksmiths. I tried quenching tonight and they didn’t turn out as hard as I thought they should. I used files and a farriers rasp quenched in vegetable oil. I ussually have good luck heating to none magnetic then quenching in oil and then tempering in the oven. Usually they will shatter if dropped before tempering they get so hard not sure what happen? I normalized them and let them cool for the night. Should I try cooling the oil in the fridge. I’m afraid of water on this type steel. I only use it for soft steel like railroad spikes. Any ideas?

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are they trolling this post or is there a glitch on where this metal working convo should be, but is showing up here.

I was wondering how blacksmithing questions got dragged onto this thread as well! Hahahaha. I guess I should take sometime to go back through and see.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
6:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Blacksmithing was pertinent as one if going to be a prize for the raffle.

I was hoping to forge something by then but its been hot in the shop for forging. If I dont get done with the project I had in mind I will come up with something to donate.

View attachment 140443
Got started tonight. Hopefully I can finish one of these in time. I’m not exactly a master blade smith so hopefully at least one of them will turn out right.

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is a subject that interests me.....
Me too...
I was able to purchase this fine piece of blacksmithing history.photo0405.jpg 100# Little Giant trip hammer.Ser #37 delivered to Earl Automobile Company in Los Angeles in Oct 1908upload_2018-9-16_0-19-5.jpeg
That is the Earl,Grandfather of Harley Earl that went on to become one of GM lead designers in the 40's and on,being a GM guy that is super cool knowing i have a tool that Harley J Earl worked with.
It requires a 3ft thick concrete base,and i have to sell my shop so i haven't poured a base for it yet. I was going to build one but this one fell into my lap,weighs in at just under 4000 lbs.Now i am going to gather the pieces needed to build a propane forge.

Attachments

• photo0403.jpg
    photo0403.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 27

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
0C286BCF-043C-4AB9-A798-EE43C6486530.jpeg image.jpg
Hope to be done tomorrow got to let the handle dry. Not the hardest edge I’ve made but It will punch a hole in heavy tin, chop maple, and shave. So I believe it’s the winner.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 141578 View attachment 141577
Hope to be done tomorrow got to let the handle dry. Not the hardest edge I’ve made but It will punch a hole in heavy tin, chop maple, and shave. So I believe it’s the winner.

Looks pretty awesome @longleaf. Do you do an edge quench when making your blades? If you do an edge quench you normally don't have to temper, depending on how hard of steel that you are using. The reason being is that you're quenched and hardening the edge while the rest remains hot (slowly cooling and annealing, although it's not a full annealing) allows it to have what's called a soft drawback. The edge will remain hard while the rest of the knife remains springy.

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Looks pretty awesome @longleaf. Do you do an edge quench when making your blades? If you do an edge quench you normally don't have to temper, depending on how hard of steel that you are using. The reason being is that you're quenched and hardening the edge while the rest remains hot (slowly cooling and annealing, although it's not a full annealing) allows it to have what's called a soft drawback. The edge will remain hard while the rest of the knife remains springy.
Thanks I will try the edge quench on the next one I do. Never thought about that but makes perfect sense.