Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Might need some umbrullas for the cows if this storm keeps going.
Ya'll be safe out there.

Already got fuel and sharp chains ready if needed here.

My brother.....3 - 5 miles from the sound on the NC coast lost power about an hour ago. Said it took 20 seconds for his generator to kick in. Oh the horror.

morewood

Mr. Awesome
Local time
2:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ha!! I lost a large portion of our bridge/culvert in May's floods.....and will likely do it again once these rains hit the slopes here in WNC. Saw that locally we expect 6-10" and higher in some locations. I live in one of those 'locations' that hits those higher numbers. Those that could've evacuated and didn't, I just can't find a lot of sympathy for them. Either way, I should be at the gtg with the cook trailer unless it all goes to heck in a hand basket.

Mr Awesome

morewood

Mr. Awesome
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My brother.....3 - 5 miles from the sound on the NC coast lost power about an hour ago. Said it took 20 seconds for his generator to kick in. Oh the horror.

A retired friend put a camper out on the outer banks this summer. Called last week to see if he would need help going to get it. His reply "Shea, it's paid for, and fully insured." His heart rate didn't even go up worrying about it. Sounds like your brother isn't that worried either.

Mr. Awesome

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A retired friend put a camper out on the outer banks this summer. Called last week to see if he would need help going to get it. His reply "Shea, it's paid for, and fully insured." His heart rate didn't even go up worrying about it. Sounds like your brother isn't that worried either.

Mr. Awesome

He's lived on the coast all of his adult life. He understands the risks......and plans accordingly.

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@blacksmith or any other blacksmiths. I tried quenching tonight and they didn’t turn out as hard as I thought they should. I used files and a farriers rasp quenched in vegetable oil. I ussually have good luck heating to none magnetic then quenching in oil and then tempering in the oven. Usually they will shatter if dropped before tempering they get so hard not sure what happen? I normalized them and let them cool for the night. Should I try cooling the oil in the fridge. I’m afraid of water on this type steel. I only use it for soft steel like railroad spikes. Any ideas?

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So I read that the warmer the oil the faster the quench which surprised me. All i had was an aluminum pan so the preheated oil may have cooled off too much.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know what you mfers are thinking. A raffle for a GTG? It's not a big deal like many raffles we've done in the past. Just something simple. One of our amazing members sent me a brand new 550XP to raffle off to help fund this year's GTG. So......I did what I do. I ported the little bastard !!!!!

If anyone else wants to add anything to this raffle......that's cool, but I think it would be best if the item was here to be presented to the winner at the GTG.

So....without more BS from me.....here's the 550XP in question. Setup for .325......

LINK FOR DONATIONS

Prize 1...

View attachment 140245 View attachment 140246 View attachment 140247 View attachment 140248

Prize 2...

View attachment 140329

Prize 3...

Stihl 044

Prize 4....

200.00 gift certificate from CCC
Wow prize one I would love to test drive.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@blacksmith or any other blacksmiths. I tried quenching tonight and they didn’t turn out as hard as I thought they should. I used files and a farriers rasp quenched in vegetable oil. I ussually have good luck heating to none magnetic then quenching in oil and then tempering in the oven. Usually they will shatter if dropped before tempering they get so hard not sure what happen? I normalized them and let them cool for the night. Should I try cooling the oil in the fridge. I’m afraid of water on this type steel. I only use it for soft steel like railroad spikes. Any ideas?

This is a subject that interests me.....

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
8:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I read that the warmer the oil the faster the quench which surprised me. All i had was an aluminum pan so the preheated oil may have cooled off too much.

Do what the Green Beetle does...

EDIT: oops! Quoted the wrong post. Fixed...

Last edited:

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I figured a few things out. 1 the files are crap. They must be case hardened. The unheated stock I cut off would bend some before breaking meaning the meat of it is mild steel. The rasp would snap without effort. My second quench was better just not quite what I expected. Some rasp may be a little different than others I guess. So the files are out and the rasp it is.

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm tempering it in the oven at the moment. That is one step they leave out on the tv shows and videos. If they really went from quench to chopping pig heads the knife would shatter. Some people can do it with a torch but I don't have the experience. All I know to do is see if it holds an edge and don't break. It may not pass the bolt cut test but who does that any way LOL. The best way to get a great knife is to buy knife steel that you know what it is. Old tools is more of a crap shoot but they have more character to me.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I was reading through some of the posts before my reply here. I was going to say that you probably have some crap files, and it sounds like you do. Yes if you would quench a good file in water you risk cracking it. If you are unsure of the grade of steel you could preform the spark test by using a grinder to see what kind of sparks that it is putting off. There is a chart to show you online if you look for it I don't have the link.

You were spot on with your process of hardening. Heating to non magnetic, quenching and tempering to desired hardness. Now your quenching liquid needs to match the steel that you are quenching. Water for mild steel and oil of some sort for higher carbon steels.
There is actually specific quenching fluid to be used depending on what type of steel that you are quenching that will give you varying degrees of hardness. They are different grades of thicknesses and have different flash points. But for a do it yourselfer used motor oil will suffice for hight carbon steels. If you are quenching specifically in water I forget what the technical term is but when you put hot steel (glowing enough to see) it actually creates a steam jacket between the steel and the water and doesn't coolit off as fast as it should. This is why when you see people quenching steel in water they move it vigorously to keep the steam jacket from forming.

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was reading through some of the posts before my reply here. I was going to say that you probably have some crap files, and it sounds like you do. Yes if you would quench a good file in water you risk cracking it. If you are unsure of the grade of steel you could preform the spark test by using a grinder to see what kind of sparks that it is putting off. There is a chart to show you online if you look for it I don't have the link.

You were spot on with your process of hardening. Heating to non magnetic, quenching and tempering to desired hardness. Now your quenching liquid needs to match the steel that you are quenching. Water for mild steel and oil of some sort for higher carbon steels.
There is actually specific quenching fluid to be used depending on what type of steel that you are quenching that will give you varying degrees of hardness. They are different grades of thicknesses and have different flash points. But for a do it yourselfer used motor oil will suffice for hight carbon steels. If you are quenching specifically in water I forget what the technical term is but when you put hot steel (glowing enough to see) it actually creates a steam jacket between the steel and the water and doesn't coolit off as fast as it should. This is why when you see people quenching steel in water they move it vigorously to keep the steam jacket from forming.
Thanks your right it can get technical. Hopefully this one work out decent. It’s not as hard as some of the ones I’ve made out of 1095 or bandsawblades but much better than a mild steel or railroad spike knives. I will stay away from anything other than Nicholson files from now on.