Part Three: The Transfer Ports

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
5:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No...stihl...project I'm working on..I usually stick with about 28-30* blowndown...but it's missing something...I think I need to raise the trans....just wondering if 40*is way to much?
I'd have to say, I've never run A saw with 40° of blow down. 33 maybe, but not 40.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will say one thing for open ports, they are easier to work on, especially for a beginner like myself. Kinda why I picked that to start with. Also after working with them, seems that they can make good usable power, even if not the same power as its closed port cousins. Look at all the old McCulloch's for example that people still ooh and ahh at yet today.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
6:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a popular belief that chainsaw engineers are all knowing gods, but they actually have several people telling them how to do their job... including the epa. They also need to make the design in a way so high scale production casting can replicate it without a considerable amount of additional machine work.

None of those obstacles apply to us. Most of those engineers are building race saws on the side for fun and that's where you'll see how they compare to our end of this industry. I've noticed some pretty mixed reviews in the past over some of the examples.
I agree with what you said Jim but will add that these engineers also have to consider "tunability" for the average consumer.

Edit: or lack of tuning on the part of the end user.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes they are widened all the way. If you saw them next to stock ones you'd be really surprised.
Well there goes my theory!! Lol! :D

Seriously though, that saw impresses the hell out of me every time I run it. Couldn't have done it without your help. :)

Last edited:

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Transfers...... depends a lot on the saw. On duals I'm not gunna open the lowers at all. That lip you speak of on the bottom.

IMG_1116.JPG

I like to fill it in and smooth out that transition instead of grind it off

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Transfers...... depends a lot on the saw. On duals I'm not gunna open the lowers at all. That lip you speak of on the bottom.

View attachment 68614

And.......Deets hybrid is the best one I've ever ran.

I think you are onto something.

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 68614

What are you using to fill that ledge?

t4driller

Daddy Day Care
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The first husky 350 i did I hogged out the lowers and it had alot of rpm but not much torque. The second one I filled the riser with jb weld and you could really lean on it.
9e6b6ea4752a0e598868a61c7183a6c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk