Part Three: The Transfer Ports

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
9:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy, I'm interested in your theory that quads need more blowdown than duals. Can you elaborate on this idea??

My thought and not to get back on the subject of exhaust that has already been covered, but I think that maximizing exhaust flow reduces the amount of minimum blowdown for good transfer action. However, my 394 is running 18 degrees of blowdown and it seems to run quite strong. Being dual port, I wonder if that is proof that your theory is sound??
I just think dual ports are lazy by nature, and need a head start at moving their stuffs to the combustion chamber.
Give em more case capacity, and they get even lazier..

Like hogs..

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Years ago a guy brought me a pair of heads to put on his engine and they had been ported with a machine that flowed an abrasive slurry through them. One of the nicest port jobs I'd ever seen (before CNC) and I've always wanted to try that with a saw especially in the transfers, I forgot the name of the process but it wasn't cheap.

Extrude honed?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good subject with a lot of opinions .In my way of thinking the transfers can assume to be like HVAC ducting .Quads would seem to distribute the mixture more evenly .Possibly help sweep the area above the intake port better . McCulloch on old reeders as well as some Homelites used three port per side transfers .Some models of kart engines had two extra ports above the intake .
Blow down,the faster it goes the longer it takes open which is why I like a long blow down,some don't though .
My way,right or wrong is using a raised dome piston which doesn't do a bloody thing for compression but is to help sweep the chamber of spent exhaust gasses above the intake combined with sweep upper transfers as opposed finger ports .Those I always worried about snagging a ring .

Sectioned transfers quad or like the open type on a Stihl 200T do not have a great rush hitting the end of the tunnel because they are sectioned .At the end remember it has to change direction by about 90 degrees .The normal Stihl design is one large tunnel .Which although they work well IMO not as good as the Husqvarna design or the 200T for that matter .
It's all a matter of opinion ,what works--works .

Longer blow downs would seem to blow some unused fuel out the exhaust port .If it were an over bored and stroked 454 Chevy I'd be concerned about but not on a chainsaw engine .

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think that with transfers, we should definitely be careful not to hog things out too much in the interest of maintaining transfer velocity. If velocity drops too much, fuel doesn't stay atomized well. Flow is obviously good too, but only to that point where displacement and case volume/compression can adequately support it. I have no idea how to calculate case volume to make an informed decision on how much or even if the transfers would benefit from being enlarged. So I'll stay tuned for more folks to chime in on that subject.

One thing I have an idea on is this: I think in my mind that most saws would probably benefit from matching the lowers to the case (talking about cylinders with lowers like a 346, 357, 372 here) but I'm not sure if it would always work to significantly enlarge them all the way up through to the port windows themselves. I think of it like creating something of a venturi effect as the transfer tunnel comes around to the transfer port window itself. Low restriction from the case to the lowers and as they taper down I would think that might accelerate the transfer charge as it reaches the transfer window. We gain area by raising them if we do so, but so far on my saws I have ported I stopped at just raising them and did not widen them at all. I could very well be off in my thinking on this theory, but my saws came out well doing it that way.

Umm, did you look at the transfers on the 394 cylinder I did for you? They are HUGE!

I like big transfers, they work for me.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Years ago a guy brought me a pair of heads to put on his engine and they had been ported with a machine that flowed an abrasive slurry through them. One of the nicest port jobs I'd ever seen (before CNC) and I've always wanted to try that with a saw especially in the transfers, I forgot the name of the process but it wasn't cheap.
Extrude honed?
that's what I'm thinking. Back in 1997 the newly built LT4 camaro SS wasn't making the advertised horsepower. SLP decided to extrude honed the stainless steel exhaust manifolds and found their power. Unfortunately, they didn't continue the process for the entire run.

Point of the story, when I looked in to having it done on my car it was really pricey and it was cheaper to just buy a quality stainless header. Not sure how it would work in a saw though. Cool idea.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Can't remember the name either, worked on manifolds as well. Was pretty neat, haven't seen it in ages, wonder if anyone is still doing it?

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
So how about the ..Open and Closed ..transfer situation . Open transfers the poor relation ? Dolmar 421 ..Still ms 200 ... use them amongst others .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think open transfers are a thing to sneeze about .Homelite for example used then for years as did the knock offs like Lombard .Some Poulans and lest we forget the Stihl 020/200T .

Anybody who has operated those little Jack Russel terriers of chainsawdom knows how they run .Can you imagine that kind of performance from say a Stihl 084 ? I'd be scared to run it .

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So how about the ..Open and Closed ..transfer situation . Open transfers the poor relation ? Dolmar 421 ..Still ms 200 ... use them amongst others .
I think they work fine. But all things being equal, the closed transfers eliminate one characteristic that keeps the open port saws from being the desired design.