Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
10:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One thing that all these threads have in common is that we haven't came to any conclusions, just more options. Everybody does it a little different, take from here what you can as a baseline and do what works for you.
100% on the $$$ !!!!

I'll add that although some of the guys porting saws here have stated that their opinion(s) don't matter, or only matter to them .................... NOTHING could be further from the truth
@drf256
@Mastermind

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One thing that all these threads have in common is that we haven't came to any conclusions, just more options. Everybody does it a little different, take from here what you can as a baseline and do what works for you.
Yup

If we figured it out, it would be boring.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How about inside the transfers where the charge turns toward the window? Radius a nice smooth arc or keep it more abrupt? I'm a fan of making it a smooth turn for less drag where possible. My problem is equipment limitation being a dremel warrior. If the saw has transfer covers I'm good, but put a traditional quad port on my bench and I can't get in there.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
100% on the $$$ !!!!

I'll add that although some of the guys porting saws here have stated that their opinion(s) don't matter, or only matter to them .................... NOTHING could be further from the truth
@drf256
@Mastermind
Exactly. This is like an online apprenticeship . Builders sharing years of accumulated knowledge that they earned through hours of trial and error on the bench is invaluable. Hats off to all them for taking the time to give us rookies something to chew on.:beer-toast1:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Air doesn't flow like a big arrow. It flows like a bunch of small parallel ones.

If you just bevel the uppers to the degrees you want and don't shape what's behind it, it's not gonna flow much different than before you touched it. Except for possibly lazier and more diffused.

Gotta remember it's flowing on all the walls and in the center differently.

You could cut a dual transfer jug's uppers in 10 minutes or 10 hours. It could be explained till the cows come hone, but until you are in there, you can't see it.

One can create a flat entry on one side of a port and angled on the other, on the same port. Just add a six pack, a right angle head piece, and a few hours.

Some jugs, like the 262 husky, bless you with a big fin over the top of their uppers. There a mile before daylight there.

4 strokes are different, but airflow dynamics are the same. The small radius and not the large matters more. So theoretically, the floor of the lower matters also.

I used to think bridge ports worked by siphoning flow. I think they work now by forcing the grinder to pay attention to the floor of the entry of the upper. After you cut your bridge, you can't help but want to clean up the area behind it.

Quads maintain the speed of a small port but the volume of a larger port. All at the same time.

That's my unibomber manifesto.

Last edited:

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
9:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
As an entry level (see someone who has never ground on a cyl. but is seriously considering investing in a grinder,degree wheel etc. Anyone got any used equipment?) I can see that there is a lot of excellent information in these threads but I also feel like it is more appropriate/geared for the well established Porter who can see the valuable information and take the rest with a grain of salt. It is an excellent opportunity for said experienced Porter to learn from each other's trials and tribulations,but for me (someone in the early and hopefully the only stages of CTE due to head injuries it is by good medicine to keep the brain operational with small technical task and fine motor skill building projects)I need a straight up build thread,someone to walk me through it. To avoid the cost of multiple cylinders in the garbage,but none the less still, A. Entertaining. B. Good information to be stored/used at a future date C.helps pass the time when you can't sleep D. All of the above

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As an entry level (see someone who has never ground on a cyl. but is seriously considering investing in a grinder,degree wheel etc. Anyone got any used equipment?) I can see that there is a lot of excellent information in these threads but I also feel like it is more appropriate/geared for the well established Porter who can see the valuable information and take the rest with a grain of salt. It is an excellent opportunity for said experienced Porter to learn from each other's trials and tribulations,but for me (someone in the early and hopefully the only stages of CTE due to head injuries it is by good medicine to keep the brain operational with small technical task and fine motor skill building projects)I need a straight up build thread,someone to walk me through it. To avoid the cost of multiple cylinders in the garbage,but none the less still, A. Entertaining. B. Good information to be stored/used at a future date C.helps pass the time when you can't sleep D. All of the above
http://opeforum.com/threads/real-talk-about-saw-porting-theory-no-arguments.6644/

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Air doesn't flow like a big arrow. It flows like a bunch of small parallel ones.

If you just bevel the uppers to the degrees you want and don't shape what's behind it, it's not gonna flow much different than before you touched it. Except for possibly lazier and more diffused.

You could cut a dual transfer jug's uppers in 10 minutes or 10 hours. It could be explained till the cows come hone, but until you are in there, you can't see it.

One can create a flat entry on one side of a port and angled on the other, on the same port. Just add a six pack, a right angle head piece, and a few hours.

Some jugs, like the 262 husky, bless you with a big fin over the top of their uppers. There a mile before daylight there.

4 strokes are different, but airflow dynamics are the same. The small radius and not the large matters more. So theoretically, the floor of the lower matters also.

I used to think bridge ports worked by siphoning flow. I think they work now by forcing the grinder to pay attention to the floor of the entry of the upper. After you cut your bridge, you can't help but want to clean up the area behind it.

Quads maintain the speed of a small port but the volume of a larger port. All at the same time.

The Ted Kaczynski of 2 strokes....

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Look at all the old McCulloch's for example that people still ooh and ahh at yet today.
On that if you really look at the transfers on the 10 series they are staggered with regards to timing and direction by way of their length and using a windowed piston . I've toyed with the idea of improving them but really don't see any method of improvement .

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you very much for the link, feels better to know that I am not alone!
Also if you could provide me with that step by step heart surgery thread it would be much appreciated, I feel as though it to would be an excellent opportunity for a new hobby...
Thanks, Matt....
You speak Hindi?

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ever study a plane's wing? How bout a birds? How bout the cross section of an upper transfer?

What happens when the same amount of flow happens over a large and small radius at the same time?

LIFT

This phenomenon has me thinking lately how I can incorporate it into a cylinder...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubercle_effect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk