Opinions on pole saws!!!

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
10:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use a 6 foot orchard ladder and will likely get a 10 foot one. I used to like the 250 better but have grown to like, or notice the weight less, the 131.
Ya the telescopers r heavy!! I do more work clearing to about 8ft than higher, so when I have the occassional higher limb I just use the ladder

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I am about to order the silky hyauchi fornkike $268...it's a manual saw that goes to 21' max....I have heard alotnof tree guys like them...any thoughts guys....

It's an aluminum telescoping pole saw..
One thing to consider regarding a telescoping saw vs one with sections is if the telescoping saw gets bent at all, you're done for. Many people have experienced this and it can also occur with the HT101, 131 etc. (very expensive to remedy.)

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not as much an issue for a pro, with a truck. but some of the telescoping, powered, pole pruners are also long, even when collapsed. Makes it harder to transport and store than the sectional (e.g. 'Kombi' units), which can also power other stuff (a big plus for a non-professional who might use these tools on a more limited basis). In use though, I like the adjustable length of the telescoping saws.

Philbert

Last edited:

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not as much an issue for a pro, with a truck. but some of the telescoping, powered, pole pruners are long, even when collapsed. Makes it harder to transport and store than the sectional (e.g. 'Kombi' units), which can also power other stuff (a big plus for a non-professional who might use these tools on a more limited basis). In use though, I like the adjustable length of the telescoping saws.

Philbert
Just to clarify, my primary concern with the telescoping saws was regarding manual pole saws, not the powered ones. I have hung up (pinched) both the manual saws and the powered ones so that's always a fun situation as well...

2manyhounds

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The jameson pruner poles and a hook head, put a decent saw blade on that and it will get used a lot. I have 6 poles, usually don't go past 4 unless it's just 1 cut, easier to climb it after that. My 131 doesn't get used near as often but it does have it's place, massive amounts of 10 foot or less cutting, its power, anything little it's jameson sticks and a pruner head and saw head.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got me this thing last year, generic Chinese supermarket product - 3 years warranty, ~200$.

PH is 42.7cc/1.35kW/1.85HP - it has got decent power, just turning a little bit slow at ~7-8k rpm.

I haven't used it much so far, but it cuts acacia/locust quite well.
The chain tension adjuster is a weak spot, it gets loose from vibrations, the clutch cover nut is merely a single M6 nut.

DSC03401.JPG DSC03404.JPG DSC04563.JPG

14" bar on my little Sachs-Dolmar 108.

It will surely serve my limited needs without me having dropped too much cash into it. :)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I once attempted to straighten the bent shafts on a Stihl HT 75 which was no small feat . Partially successful ,all but about the last one foot but better than what it was .

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is what I have, it is a fantastic tool and I love it!
Do you have any issues with the silky....does it cut ok fully extended....I see a few reviews about guys saying they bend easy at full length, but I also know the average tree guy LOL....

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
but I also know the average tree guy LOL....

Exactly, you know most of these idiots are cavemen wearing neon. They don't understand light pressure and the curvature of the blade makes them cut. If you are pushing super hard you have no business using a pole saw lol

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly, you know most of these idiots are cavemen wearing neon. They don't understand light pressure and the curvature of the blade makes them cut. If you are pushing super hard you have no business using a pole saw lol
Do you think the Jameson poles saws are good ones, they are fiberglass

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are good poles, I just find them to be too heavy @ 3 pieces and greater. If you need more than 3 pipes/sections you need a climber or a bucket...

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you think the Jameson poles saws are good ones, they are fiberglass
They are good poles, I just find them to be so heavy @ 3 pieces and greater.
Jameson makes several different styles of poles - giving you a range of weight, value/cost; stiffness, durability, etc. o choose from.

http://www.jamesonllc.com/PDF/product_sheets/Poles_Overview.pdf

They are great tools. A sharp saw blade, with a hook end, is important, IMO, as you do not want to be holding that pole longer than you have to!

Philbert

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well guys I oredered a 3-piece 18' Jameson set...comes with pruner and saw blade assembly....it is fiberglass which has its obvious benefits...

Who knows I may still get a pole saw....I do know that this manual pole saw will always be used however....