OK, didn't see this coming

Sloughfoot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the log looks wet or has something around the edge when the husky gets its turn, not sure what is going on there, but does seem strange.
Logs in the background look the same, wet on the top half. Rain between cuts, perhaps.

Reactions: Lnk

JCMLAS0000

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wonder what the cost difference is , a clean 281 vs. a Stihl 500i. Fuel usage as well. My 281 actually isn't a fuel hog. And the value of having a saw fixable w/o dealer intervention. Think cookies are cool , but the cost of ownership/living with it vs. tree's on the landing over time type analysis would be interesting to me. Has to be value in having a saw that is supportable & part available. :) And HOW come the comparisons are always with smaller saws? Like 572. This is the first cookie comparison with a saw it's size, an OLD one but still one in it's displacement class. To do a similar thing if a 500i to 572 is a good comparison, then so is a equal cost 592 to 500i right?
I've seen a good number of YouTube videos comparing the 500 to the 572.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My neighbor works at the local sawmill. Since they purchased a 500i a couple years ago the 660s mostly collect dust.....next to the ms880 they got last year. I ran the 500 for a bit. Nice saw...but way to damn expensive for me.
Might have see how it stacks up against this 288xp when finished.

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice, that 281 cut well, I really like the ported 81 cc saws. The 52 mm bore x 38 mm stroke is an old-school engine size used in many different chainsaws. They run differently than the 70 cc saws.

They're not "peaky". They hit a big flat plateau of torque lower in the rpms and hold that power up top. I've noticed the torque bore cutting large saw logs, where the 28" bar/full comp chain is buried in a tree larger than the bar. Then too, cutting down stumps. They're good on fuel cutting large saw logs to multiple 16-18 ft sticks, and even cutting down the stump, all on a single tank of fuel.

Yep, they're heavy. I'm sure the shorter stroke in the 500i cuts down overall weight. I dunno how much work could be done with the 500i on a single tank of fuel, nor how balanced the saw would be with 28"-32" bars.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 281's cut nice but I cannot even sell one........hmmm too many guys stuck on hype

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice, that 281 cut well, I really like the ported 81 cc saws. The 52 mm bore x 38 mm stroke is an old-school engine size used in many different chainsaws. They run differently than the 70 cc saws.

They're not "peaky". They hit a big flat plateau of torque lower in the rpms and hold that power up top. I've noticed the torque bore cutting large saw logs, where the 28" bar/full comp chain is buried in a tree larger than the bar. Then too, cutting down stumps. They're good on fuel cutting large saw logs to multiple 16-18 ft sticks, and even cutting down the stump, all on a single tank of fuel.

Yep, they're heavy. I'm sure the shorter stroke in the 500i cuts down overall weight. I dunno how much work could be done with the 500i on a single tank of fuel, nor how balanced the saw would be with 28"-32" bars.
They were running a 32" power match bar and skip chain with the rakers taken down. Definitely nose heavy. No idea why they're running skip for mostly beatle kill spruce.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 281 no one wants

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 288 was like $300-350? Ish and it’s ugly but it runs excellent and has already paid for itself atleast twice after already seeing a lifetime of what I assume wasn’t an easy life.
Could a 500I do that?
Speed and being lighter is nice but a longer service life means more money in my pocket which is what interests me

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 288 was like $300-350? Ish and it’s ugly but it runs excellent and has already paid for itself atleast twice after already seeing a lifetime of what I assume wasn’t an easy life.
Could a 500I do that?
Speed and being lighter is nice but a longer service life means more money in my pocket which is what interests me

I've watched a 500 be part of our fleet and regularly used make almost a million dollars...so..yes..it can.

These conversations get so stupid I need to put my velcro shoes on and my helmet to make it through sometimes.

Guys buy what they like, it's that simple. The stupid comes on when they try to stick the reason they bought it up other people's asses. Chainsaws are tools for 95% of the people that buy them, I'm not in to tools that have obsolete parts that are 30 years old..some people are...good for them.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've watched a 500 be part of our fleet and regularly used make almost a million dollars...so..yes..it can.

These conversations get so stupid I need to put my velcro shoes on and my helmet to make it through sometimes.

Guys buy what they like, it's that simple. The stupid comes on when they try to stick the reason they bought it up other people's asses. Chainsaws are tools for 95% of the people that buy them, I'm not in to tools that have obsolete parts that are 30 years old..some people are...good for them.

That said..

I'm not a 500 fan for what it costs, that's 90cc money to me.. and contrary to what the internet says a 500 isn't some super power from another world, it's just a 79cc saw and cuts accordingly.

Actually..the 462 and 572 cut right along with it with 24-28" bars.

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was genuinely asking about the longevity.
The reason I bought an old saw was money, my saws don’t make a million
Same reason beef farmers had old internationals and masseys, cash croppers had deeres with a/c

Sloughfoot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That said..

I'm not a 500 fan for what it costs, that's 90cc money to me.. and contrary to what the internet says a 500 isn't some super power from another world, it's just a 79cc saw and cuts accordingly.

Actually..the 462 and 572 cut right along with it with 24-28" bars.
Yeh but a 462 sounds like a weedeater. 500i sounds like a Ducati.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeh but a 462 sounds like a weedeater. 500i sounds like a Ducati.

I don't pay attention to those things, they're both loud with the muffler opened up.. just like any other chainsaw.