New year chainsaw vows

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
9:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well this year is a new start for me. I now prefer the minimalist approach when it comes to owning stuff. Run what I know and get rid of the rest. I know other folks dont live like this, and that's perfectly fine!
How many other folks make vows about chainsaws and guns at the start of a new year?
My vows are,
No more automatic tune computer saws, no more than a 3 saw plan, slow down when limbing (had some near misses last year) and no more new saws, just used saws. Last and ultimately, appreciate life and every moment it has to offer, and hold dearly those times spent in the woods with a saw.

Manofstihl661

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well this year is a new start for me. I now prefer the minimalist approach when it comes to owning stuff. Run what I know and get rid of the rest. I know other folks dont live like this, and that's perfectly fine!
How many other folks make vows about chainsaws and guns at the start of a new year?
My vows are,
No more automatic tune computer saws, no more than a 3 saw plan, slow down when limbing (had some near misses last year) and no more new saws, just used saws. Last and ultimately, appreciate life and every moment it has to offer, and hold dearly those times spent in the woods with a saw.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I don’t like to make resolutions or stuff because I break em lol. Buttt I have made it a more recent goal to dive into saws more and actually start knocking out projects better with my boys. Instead of finding high speed saws I have been picking up some easier and older projects that my boys 6 and 5 can work on with me so they can learn early.

I also have been thinking guns would be a better investment instead of a crap ton of saws that sit on a shelf but both are fun :).

I definitely agree with slowing down. I think that’s something I need to do in every aspect of life is to slow down to enjoy and appreciate all ive been given and the time I have with those I love.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
9:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like a good plan to me. I don’t like to make resolutions or stuff because I break em lol. Buttt I have made it a more recent goal to dive into saws more and actually start knocking out projects better with my boys. Instead of finding high speed saws I have been picking up some easier and older projects that my boys 6 and 5 can work on with me so they can learn early.

I also have been thinking guns would be a better investment instead of a crap ton of saws that sit on a shelf but both are fun :).

I definitely agree with slowing down. I think that’s something I need to do in every aspect of life is to slow down to enjoy and appreciate all ive been given and the time I have with those I love.
Well said....well said. I'd have to agree about spending time with the kids, builds memory and fine motor skills when fixing and rebuilding saws. It also teaches history when working with units from decades ago

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Warning uncool safety dude making an entrance...

be a good time to make a commitment to ppe. I think chaps and hard hats are the most likely to be missing. We all are vulnerable!

Manofstihl661

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

be a good time to make a commitment to ppe. I think chaps and hard hats are the most likely to be missing. We all are vulnerable!

I’ve never been in the cool group. My wife will start yelling at me if i try to make a cut without it though. Not worth the hospital visit. Can’t afford the visit or to be off work. I’m with you. I’m actually wanting to upgrade my stuff

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Made a effort this past year to wear chaps when cutting all the time. I’d say it was totally worth it. My vow for this year is to not screw up as many bars as I did this year lol. Bars take a lot of abuse logging...

Last edited:

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
10:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1. I will not make one handed cuts within 2ft of my body or rope.
2. I will attach my lanyard before I turn on my saw.
3. I will not do in-tree plunge cuts over 24”.
4. I will not stand on the bucket to make cuts.
5. I will repair my saws instead of putting them in a box and buying another.
6. I will talk less crap about Stihl.
7. I will get better porting tools.
8. I will spend more time with my chainsaw friends.
9. I will mill more logs than last year.
10. I will sell saws if I buy different ones.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m gonna continue filling gaps in my 2-series line up, not for need but because I can and want to.

I also want to get my kids in the woods with me more. They come out sometimes but usually under protest, gotta try to find a way to make it more fun for them so they can find satisfaction in a days work.