$1000 to spend on a new saw.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you go to https://www.stihlusa.com/ and click Professional - Chainsaws the MS 400 won't be listed there.

If you go instead to Products - Chainsaws - MS 400 you'll find it, and the link is:
professional-saws/ms400/
which is why I said they like to call it a professional saw but don't list it as one.

If you look at the STIHL Chain Saw Comparison Chart (attached) it's listed under Larger Woodcutting Jobs, not in the Professional section.

This is the reason I keep hearing. The muffler is pretty much uncorked and it's loud, like a race saw. The light magnesium piston allows it to rev high with less stress on be bearings due to less weight, and it goes like stink. Whether or not STIHL beefed up the internals and bearings to support the larger piston and higher revs is a question for the builders.

In Engineer School there's a saying: Speed kills. Maybe that applies here, it shortens the lifespan of the saw. Maybe--I do not know. I would guess STIHL had the saw prototype on the dyno and tested the snot out of it until it broke, made changes, then re-tested until STIHL made "the best saw for the money, within reason," according to their internal set of goals/guidelines (whatever those are).

That's my thinking, though the real people to ask work at STIHL--so I just sent them an e-mail asking them.

It's listed under Professional saws when I just looked, right along side the other pro saws.

They even call it a Professional saw.

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 07-57-56 Professional Chainsaws - Heavy Duty Chainsaws.png

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 08-00-49 MS 400 C-M Chainsaws.png

Last edited:

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Attachments

• 2023 Pro Saw Pricing.pdf
    950.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 2023 All Saw Pricing.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you go to https://www.stihlusa.com/ and click Professional - Chainsaws the MS 400 won't be listed there.

If you go instead to Products - Chainsaws - MS 400 you'll find it, and the link is:
professional-saws/ms400/
which is why I said they like to call it a professional saw but don't list it as one.

If you look at the STIHL Chain Saw Comparison Chart (attached) it's listed under Larger Woodcutting Jobs, not in the Professional section.

This is the reason I keep hearing. The muffler is pretty much uncorked and it's loud, like a race saw. The light magnesium piston allows it to rev high with less stress on be bearings due to less weight, and it goes like stink. Whether or not STIHL beefed up the internals and bearings to support the larger piston and higher revs is a question for the builders.

In Engineer School there's a saying: Speed kills. Maybe that applies here, it shortens the lifespan of the saw. Maybe--I do not know. I would guess STIHL had the saw prototype on the dyno and tested the snot out of it until it broke, made changes, then re-tested until STIHL made "the best saw for the money, within reason," according to their internal set of goals/guidelines (whatever those are).

That's my thinking, though the real people to ask work at STIHL--so I just sent them an e-mail asking them.
It is 100% a pro saw, based off the 362 but you can’t put a 400 cylinder on the 362 because they changed the case and cylinder transfers. The crank and bearings are the same but the 400 piston is lighter than the 362.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
5:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keeping an eye out for those Tears for Fears/INXS tickets in Portland you might have for sale is one of the only reasons I come back on the internet.

I read things that just make me stare at the screen and think to myself all the times I thought I was retarded it wasn't really that bad after all.

I've got a set of vintage "Matt Houston: Private Eye" X-ray Spex with your name on them as well.

With the HLS current sale you can get a 395 to your door for about $1k.

That's some real fun factor right there...

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it possible in Milwaukee, Wisconsin sawyers are held to different standards?

Fixed to a more than likely probability. Lol

You’ll be able to port him a 400 later too though it that’s what he decides.

I'd do it.

I've got a set of vintage "Matt Houston: Private Eye" X-ray Spex with your name on them as well.

Would go good with his Stihl decoder ring.

Looks to me like the winner is the 372xp being secure in its identity along with the complete lack of pronoun gratification required. :campeon:

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you’re going for fun:
500i

If you’re going for best power/weight
501p
500i

All ported of course.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I worked full time in forestry I would own me a ported 500i. 13.9 pounds dry weight of the powerhead at 6.7 hp is very good power to weight. Ported, well it would be the cats whiskers.

Also my dcs 7901 would not go anywhere.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
8:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have a good lineup already, like others have said.

Id go echo 2511 top handle for trimming and/or 90+cc for the big stuff if it were me. A 395 is how I’d go, especially at $1k. They are simple hard to beat, and I am a Stihl guy through and through.

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
....the real people to ask work at STIHL--so I just sent them an e-mail asking them.

Good day,

Several of us are discussing the MS 400 and wondering what STIHL targets as the estimated lifespan of different saw classes as delineated by the “STIHL Chain-Saw Comparison Chart” (homeowner, farm, firewood business, professional).

1.) What saw classes does STIHL use? Traditionally we've thought of Homeowner, Farm/Firewood, and Professional.

For Professional saws I’m under the impression targeted lifespan is 3,000 to 3,500 hours of professional use, 3,500 to 4,000 if well cared for.

2.) What is STIHL’s targeted lifespan for each class of saw.

Regarding the MS 400, the saw is referred to as a Professional saw in STIHL marketing literature, however it is not listed under:
https://www.stihlusa.com/ - Professional – Chainsaws

It is listed under:
https://www.stihlusa.com/ - Products – Chainsaws

and the link suggests it is in the “professional-saws” category:

however in the “STIHL Chain-Saw Comparison Chart” it is listed under the “Larger Woodcutting” section, not the “Professional” section, leading to the question.

3.) What is STIHL’s targeted lifespan for the MS 400?

The MS 400 is often referred to as “an over-bored 362 with magnesium piston.”

4.) What was the inspiration behind the MS 400? Is the MS 400 a “racing version of the MS 362 C-M?”

Brad Krause

References:

STIHL Chain-Saw Comparison Chart:

Hello Brad,

We do not have target lifespan data for our chainsaws. Many variables can play a factor. There are still STHIL professional chainsaws from the 70's and 80's still running strong.

Kind Regards,

[redacted]
Technical Service Representative

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is about what to expect for a response, they’ll never give an hour of use rating on anything and will always be vague on anything you ask. Figured this was what you were going to get for an answer or similar.

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

EastKYMike

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback. I'm sort of leaning towards the Redmax GZ7100, Further reading I learn it's really a Jonsered 2172. Something about this saw intrigues me, no M Tronic/Auto Tune, but I think it does have the X torq feature.
I have some other Redmax trimmers, and a pole saw that are really good quality.
I'm just a DIY user on my property and helping neighbors, so I don't cut professionally or anything, but I enjoy working outdoors, I mix my fuel using VP 4 cycle/ Amsoil Saber at 45.1. Seems to do good so far, expensive yes, probably overkill but I accept the added cost in hopes for cleaner carbs, and internals over long term.
I'll let ya know when I make the purchase........hopefully tomorrow.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback. I'm sort of leaning towards the Redmax GZ7100, Further reading I learn it's really a Jonsered 2172. Something about this saw intrigues me, no M Tronic/Auto Tune, but I think it does have the X torq feature.
I have some other Redmax trimmers, and a pole saw that are really good quality.
I'm just a DIY user on my property and helping neighbors, so I don't cut professionally or anything, but I enjoy working outdoors, I mix my fuel using VP 4 cycle/ Amsoil Saber at 45.1. Seems to do good so far, expensive yes, probably overkill but I accept the added cost in hopes for cleaner carbs, and internals over long term.
I'll let ya know when I make the purchase........hopefully tomorrow.
To a lot of people the x-torq isn’t a benefit, it
Is the stratto version of the 372 with the heavy piston that’s harder on the crank and bearings

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To a lot of people the x-torq isn’t a benefit, it
Is the stratto version of the 372 with the heavy piston that’s harder on the crank and bearings
As a lover of the 362, 365 and 371/2 saws, my least favorite saw of all time is the xtorq version. I've ran plenty of old single ring 371xp with black coil and muff mod at 14,500 full time and they held up well with nice limbing speed. The xtorq even with unlimited coil just stinks at 14,500, even when ported. The bearing just don't hold up at all

EastKYMike

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Didn’t know that about the x torq. Am considering one other option though. Selling my Redmax gz5000 since I already have a 50Cc in the 550 and getting a Stihl ms 462. It’s just a few ounces heavier than the 400C and should handle a 25” bar better than the 400.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Didn’t know that about the x torq. Am considering one other option though. Selling my Redmax gz5000 since I already have a 50Cc in the 550 and getting a Stihl ms 462. It’s just a few ounces heavier than the 400C and should handle a 25” bar better than the 400.
You're really going to notice those few ounces after a long day of cutting.

One more thing to consider: sideways balance. the Husqvarna family of saws has always had a leg up on other brands in this department.

Best to consider ALL of the variables.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Port that 400 and have best of both worlds. Buy what you like or want and forget what we have to say, just saying a ported 400 is a nice saw. For all those concerned about a magnesium piston, just google melting points of magnesium and aluminum. Also own a ported 372oe and it throws chips very well. Sharp chains are the best!

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're really going to notice those few ounces after a long day of cutting.

One more thing to consider: sideways balance. the Husqvarna family of saws has always had a leg up on other brands in this department.

Best to consider ALL of the variables.
Hehe, is better sideways balance responsible for 350's always being on their side?
FullSizeRender.jpeg