OilLeak

fredx

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New bee here. I had a stihl 009 for over 20 years and it served me well for what I needed its' entire life, but I decided last year I wanted a new saw (not needed )
The only thing I didnt like @ the time was the saw ALWAYS leaked when in the storage case-- ALWAYS. Went to the local dealer about getting it fixed and was to that " they all leak ", which I did not believe, mainly because I found it impossible to believe every manufacturer of chain saws have a built in design flaw where they leak.
So when I went to buy a new one I told them I wanted one that didnt leak-- then they said that " it SHOULDNT leak " Well low and behold the new one leaks and they went back to the " well they all leak " line again. For reference the new one is an Echo. I told them @ the time of purchase that if this one leaks I'm bringing it back., so when they started with that line again they said the only way to stop a saw from leaking oil is to adjust the oiler to the chain down to next to nothing but then I would have insufficient oil to lubricate the chain. So I have a couple ?'s for those in the know
#1- Do they ALL leak as they say?
#2- Is there a fix for mine leaking other that what they said?
Thanks fellas

Last edited:

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well it should not leak if the saw is stored at a constand temperature. If the temperature goes up and down during storage, it is possible due to the design of the oil pump that they leak. The oil pumps are not that thight. Leaking can be possible because of slight pressure in the oil tank if the temperature rises.

If you want to be save against leaking, you have to empty the oil tank.

Maxchaos

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the floor covered with cardboards and old shirts because 5 of my 13 husky leak bar oil,usually they leak only what's in the oil passage,so they will stop after some time,but I have a 372 and a 346 that constantly leak,not much to do as rubber seal get old.
For a new saw I will say see if It only leak a bit and then stop, that's normal.

Brad Button

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I worked at a Stihl dealer for 18 years, and I have owned a ton of saws, and every single one leaks, new or used. The oil tank builds pressure even if it is just sitting, like someone else mentioned temp change. Some just leak worse than others.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
2:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the floor covered with cardboards and old shirts because 5 of my 13 husky leak bar oil,usually they leak only what's in the oil passage,so they will stop after some time,but I have a 372 and a 346 that constantly leak,not much to do as rubber seal get old.
For a new saw I will say see if It only leak a bit and then stop, that's normal.
RTV would stop the 372 leak. The oil pump is not very good at putting pressure on the oil hose seal flange. They leak from where the oil hose and the pump meets.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
#1- Do they ALL leak as they say?
#2- Is there a fix for mine leaking other that what they said?
Yes, they all leak, to one degree or another. Worn out parts will cause more leakage, but pressure in the B/C oil tank (weather change...etc) can also force oil out. To minimize the amount of oil leaking (or oil mess) is after use, open the b/c oil cap and relieve any built up pressure from usage. Take off the b/c cover, bar and chain and give everything a good wipe down. Some people mistake their saw for leaking when it is just the residual oil still under there dripping out.

If you want to try and see where the oil is coming from to see if it might need a new o-ring or another part, clean up the saw as described and put it on a piece of cardboard. Check it out every day or so and see if there is any oil dripping. This may point out more directly where the oil is coming from and help you determine if there is a part that needs to be replaced or if this is something this saw just does.

If you store your saw on a shelf or in a case, you can take a puppy-pee-pad and put it under the saw. It will absorb any dripping oil and help keep the area a little tidier and are relatively inexpensive.

41FanForLife

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't necessarily say an unpopular statement as I hear it and read quite often from many who've never thrown a leg over one.
I'm sure @41FanForLife has a similar experience.
I know plenty of people with old scoots that had a marked driveway. 85,000 on my twin cam and 15,000 on the Milwaukee 8 and my driveway is clear. Except where the 2 yr old F250 power steering pissed on the new blacktop

fredx

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As infrequently as I use a saw, I am going to just drain the oil from the reservoir and see how that goes -I might just try cracking the cap first,
I always do that with the fuel unless I am going to use it again in a short time then run it dry. Never did it with the oil cause of the thicknees

Thanks for all of the comments fellas!!!

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As infrequently as I use a saw, I am going to just drain the oil from the reservoir and see how that goes -I might just try cracking the cap first,
I always do that with the fuel unless I am going to use it again in a short time then run it dry. Never did it with the oil cause of the thicknees

Thanks for all of the comments fellas!!!
The oil that is in the bar groove and that is slung around in the clutch cover will drain back and down too....drip....drip....drip