New builder Husqvarna 42 Black top..

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
10:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn. Well I don’t think it’s the pin causing me issues. It looks like the rollers on the bearing are worn on the sides. So the upper bearing has the same sort of properties as the big end crank bearing, no play up and down but play side to side. So weirdly it’s kinda kicking the piston round the bearing a tad when you rotate at tdc and bdc. I think a new bearing will sort it.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good thread Adam ;) I’ve enjoyed the readin

I hope your well.. have you heard from Matt or know why he not been around.:(

I put it down to one of life’s mysteries when chatting to peeps on Internet forums.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I put it down to one of life’s mysteries when chatting to peeps on Internet forums.

Ta. This saw is quite a nice saw to work on. They are tiny really and quite well made. Still haven’t had it properly running, ain’t had the time. I have not heard from Matt in well over two years now. It’s strange as in our convos he was thinking of having a Small GTG with is lot if I remember correctly.

Ahh well.

This is very true of our internet age a proper mystery of sorts

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Anyway Sean, how are things lately? Finally climbing those trees?

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeh a few trees here and there,, I wish I did it 20yrs ago, I need to go to the gym and build up my stamina . I was out early this morning, I had to mill a yew tree in Croydon, I just got back and need to get I. The bath.. so here’s a pic or two I don’t know why to pics are completely diff colours when I took the 30sec apart
9C12FB9F-157E-4D30-8403-49703277F790.jpeg
8908AAF6-2388-4EB9-8D49-3459DACBD8C4.jpeg
8075BB3C-19AF-4DF7-88BE-A855ADC845D1.jpeg
It’s customer spec's 2x 3inch and what ever the rest 2inch
I got a time lapse vid to post somewhere
Oh and I got a 044 on the way.. so I will do and unboxing and a test, I’ve no idea if it’s a 10mm or 12.. I’ll tag you so you can find them.

Cheers

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeh a few trees here and there,, I wish I did it 20yrs ago, I need to go to the gym and build up my stamina . I was out early this morning, I had to mill a yew tree in Croydon, I just got back and need to get I. The bath.. so here’s a pic or two I don’t know why to pics are completely diff colours when I took the 30sec apart
View attachment 206281
View attachment 206282
View attachment 206280
It’s customer spec's 2x 3inch and what ever the rest 2inch
I got a time lapse vid to post somewhere
Oh and I got a 044 on the way.. so I will do and unboxing and a test, I’ve no idea if it’s a 10mm or 12.. I’ll tag you so you can find them.

Cheers

Well I am glad you are up them trees. What are you milling with? Yew is a nice wood ain’t it. Lovely colouring!! 044 Huztl or a clapped out project?

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Adam,
Milling with Stihl 660 it’s got a hyway big bore.. 25” & 36” bars and China mill

And have a look at my new thread
http://opeforum.com/threads/whats-saw-is-in-the-package.18349/

Spoiler alert.
It’s a similar story, as in what happen to matts saw that he made into a hybrid

Those Hyway big bores rip. I had one on my Huztl 660. It squashed my uncles genuine owned from new stock 660.. I sold that Huztl with a few Stihl parts swapped in for a profit and no conning from my side, everything stated. I was tempted to do more of them.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How mild a mild port job? [emoji106][emoji106]

She was a bit ill when she came in to me as u can see in the frst part of the vid. So half of that is just fixing things. Yeah, its super gunky cherry she's in tho.
I don't advance the timing or open the ports to max on a mild job. I mostly clean it up and change the port timing or shape a bit if I think it could use it and reset the squish(remove the gasket). Oh, and there's another hole in that exhaust now. The special, at least this one, was an open port affair. So I doubt I could have gotten much more top end without a lot of work. It was done as a favour for a mate more than anything else because I felt so sad seeing that saw struggle while we were in work. That was nearly 9 years ago.

Last edited:

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have life in the 42. All back together. Sounds ace for 42cc. It idles revs and come back down nicely. Carb kit did the trick. I think there is a flat spot on a bearing somewhere probably from years of sitting doing nothing. Hadn’t managed to figure out which bearing. Ruled out the small end as it’s new. Can you even get the pto crank bearing? Are there even cranks around if it turns out to be the big end? It’s not too bad atm I can just hear the slightest on rotation of the crank. Can’t feel a thing though.

I’ll post coke pics when it’s dry outside.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We have life in the 42. All back together. Sounds ace for 42cc. It idles revs and come back down nicely. Carb kit did the trick. I think there is a flat spot on a bearing somewhere probably from years of sitting doing nothing. Hadn’t managed to figure out which bearing. Ruled out the small end as it’s new. Can you even get the pto crank bearing? Are there even cranks around if it turns out to be the big end? It’s not too bad atm I can just hear the slightest on rotation of the crank. Can’t feel a thing though.

I’ll post coke pics when it’s dry outside.
From memory as its been a yr or two....No in general ..... to most of what you asked , unless its on a shelf somewhere as old stock.
This group of saws is "Mostly" going to come down to using scrounged spares and spares from other saws.

Last edited:

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would double check with @Tor R but I believe it was the Stihl 020 AV PTO bearing that will work?
As in a ms200 series? They are roller bearings if I remember not the usual ball bearings? What do you do about the integral seal that you get on the 42? Something is still knocking on the 42, it runs amazing with a 13" bar the ok though. I think it may be piston slap at BDC and tbc. I need to look into it more. Apart from that it runs ace. I cut a 1 tonne builders bag quantity of apple yesterday around 4" max and it was as fast as anything in that sized wood.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cleaned it and put a new spring on the chain brake. It's definitely not the pto or flywheel bearings. No play on those. I think it's definitely piston slap.
d90a0abf6a58023e1a56257024b2c552.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

82f100swb

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been tempted to get a 13 to try, Dad told me he had tried them but found the 15 worked better for him.
I just got the heated handles working on his 242 last night, now I need to figure out why it won't rev past 12.4K.

As for your knock, how did your piston skirts look? I have ran into a few worn intake side skirts that were still nice and smooth, but significantly thinner than the exhaust side. One 026 was so worn the piston was rocking enough at TDC to hit the squish band...

Last edited: