New builder Husqvarna 42 Black top..

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
3:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve taken a break over the last year of building something for myself.

But alas I couldn’t turn this down.

I just bought a 42 black top. It really enticed me as it seems like a dinky 254 design.

I have since bought a clean 42 special recoil from a Lithuanian chap and am now looking for parts.

This is what the saw looks like. Full rebuild ahoy, repaint, down to every nit and bolt hopefully.

IMG_8734.jpgIMG_8736.jpg

Piston and cylinder have compression.. that is all I know..

This is the recoil. I want to keep it all oem, but am not bothered what age 42/242/246/xp variant it comes from as long as it all matches in style.

IMG_8739.jpg

I also believe some parts are shared between 254’s and 346’s. I am talking about bearings, seals, bolts, roll pins, dead mans triggers etc.

So here me wondering from you guys what parts are cross compatible to aid me finding all the bits..

Cheers in advance.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve taken a break over the last year of building something for myself.

But alas I couldn’t turn this down.

I just bought a 42 black top. It really enticed me as it seems like a dinky 254 design.

I have since bought a clean 42 special recoil from a Lithuanian chap and am now looking for parts.

This is what the saw looks like. Full rebuild ahoy, repaint, down to every nit and bolt hopefully.

View attachment 195209View attachment 195210

Piston and cylinder have compression.. that is all I know..

This is the recoil. I want to keep it all oem, but am not bothered what age 42/242/246/xp variant it comes from as long as it all matches in style.

View attachment 195211

I also believe some parts are shared between 254’s and 346’s. I am talking about bearings, seals, bolts, roll pins, dead mans triggers etc.

So here me wondering from you guys what parts are cross compatible to aid me finding all the bits..

Cheers in advance.
Tors your boy on the baby huskys

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
if its like 242, that pto bearing is real hard to find. im sure there are other parts getting hard to come by, but that ones in nice shape, hopefully doesnt need much

I have just looked at a parts book and the pto bearing is one of those types. Like the ones found on 346’s. Hope this one is ok. Else I’ll be hunting for a NOS bearing [emoji2955]

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
if its like 242, that pto bearing is real hard to find. im sure there are other parts getting hard to come by, but that ones in nice shape, hopefully doesnt need much

I have just looked at a parts book and the pto bearing is one of those types. Like the ones found on 346’s. Hope this one is ok. Else I’ll be hunting for a NOS bearing [emoji2955]

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great little saw chassis and easy to work on.

As far as matching style goes, however, the large decal starter is a mis-match with the black top cover. 42 Special had the same orange top as the 242/246. The black top 42's had the small, 266 size starter decal.

Shares very little with the 254. Carb bolts and filter holder about the only thing. I can think of. Pretty much zero with the 346. Gasket sets are NLA here in the US at least. I understand the total restoration concept, but I usually look at it from the "don't fix what isn't broken" angle. If the bottom end is solid, I'd at least hold off on tearing it down until I had the parts in hand.

Parts are no longer being produced for these saws, so it all comes down to what's laying around in various inventories. It's often surprising what they do or do not have. Sometimes there's some little part you'd never expect them to have, but it's still there. :) Finding parts saws, no matter how trashed they look is a good idea. There's always something there to be used.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

As far as matching style goes, however, the large decal starter is a mis-match with the black top cover. 42 Special had the same orange top as the 242/246. The black top 42's had the small, 266 size starter decal.

Shares very little with the 254. Carb bolts and filter holder about the only thing. I can think of. Pretty much zero with the 346. Gasket sets are NLA here in the US at least. I understand the total restoration concept, but I usually look at it from the "don't fix what isn't broken" angle. If the bottom end is solid, I'd at least hold off on tearing it down until I had the parts in hand.

Parts are no longer being produced for these saws, so it all comes down to what's laying around in various inventories. It's often surprising what they do or do not have. Sometimes there's some little part you'd never expect them to have, but it's still there. :) Finding parts saws, no matter how trashed they look is a good idea. There's always something there to be used.

Brilliant info as always there! I will be getting rid of the black cover. There is a spares place in the uk that has new top covers for the 42 special and 242xp. I don’t know why I just like a fully orange husky. Weirdly I was thinking about the bottom end and it’s condition. Mainly after seeing that the pto bearing is one of those odd ones. I can’t find one of those in the uk. And since you mentioned the gaskets becoming unobtainable I may just leave it alone if it passes a vac and pressure test. I may do what I did on an 038 mag which was mask the life out of the built up case and repaint it bolted together. Now are the old 42 cylinders open or closed?
Cheers as always.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Brilliant info as always there! I will be getting rid of the black cover. There is a spares place in the uk that has new top covers for the 42 special and 242xp. I don’t know why I just like a fully orange husky. Weirdly I was thinking about the bottom end and it’s condition. Mainly after seeing that the pto bearing is one of those odd ones. I can’t find one of those in the uk. And since you mentioned the gaskets becoming unobtainable I may just leave it alone if it passes a vac and pressure test. I may do what I did on an 038 mag which was mask the life out of the built up case and repaint it bolted together. Now are the old 42 cylinders open or closed?
Cheers as always.

If you getting rid of that grey top cover I will have it if you wanna part with it
Sorry @Simondo I know you like em

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
42 is open port as is the 246. 242 is the closed port and best runner of them all. (earlier 234 and 238SE were also closed port saws)

On many saws where you have different top ends that share a common chassis, the performance difference between models isn't all that dramatic. 372 is an example of that. Most guys won't even consider the 48mm 365 or the 47mm 362/2163 top ends, but they are all good runners, and superior overall to most AM big bore kits.

But on this chassis a 242XP runs significantly better than a 42. Noticeably more power and a bigger jump in RPM's than with any other shared chassis models. Tecomec made some very nice 242xp top ends and there should still be plenty out there. As far as I know it's the only top end option available for this chassis from anyone.

They respond well to a muff mod and gasket delete also. :)

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

It happened a lot over here they might have done it in the factory

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
42 is open port as is the 246. 242 is the closed port and best runner of them all. (earlier 234 and 238SE were also closed port saws)

On many saws where you have different top ends that share a common chassis, the performance difference between models isn't all that dramatic. 372 is an example of that. Most guys won't even consider the 48mm 365 or the 47mm 362/2163 top ends, but they are all good runners, and superior overall to most AM big bore kits.

But on this chassis a 242XP runs significantly better than a 42. Noticeably more power and a bigger jump in RPM's than with any other shared chassis models. Tecomec made some very nice 242xp top ends and there should still be plenty out there. As far as I know it's the only top end option available for this chassis from anyone.

They respond well to a muff mod and gasket delete also. :)

Cheers for all this info. I am actually more stoaked for this build than the Military 281xp.

This for me is a useful little saw! And they look cool as.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool little saw to bring back to life Adam. If I had any parts to help you I would but sadly I have nothing for that chassis. My brother Joe @RIDE-RED 350r got his 242XP running a while back, he might have some incite on parts acquisition. Good luck!

As always Josh you are a very helpful guy. Any incitefulness from your bro is most welcome.

This Lithuanian I have come across has a fair few used good 242 and 42/special parts. I have also seen today a fair few NOS parts in the uk. Once I tear this down I will de doing a shopping list!!

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hey Adam,
Yeah, parts are becoming hens teeth for these little saws. I did a 242 about a year and a half ago. I ended up re-using the pto bearing and so far it's been good. I managed to save my cylinder and used a piston from Lil Red Barn that is VERY close to OEM in terms of dimensions and that too has worked well. I scored a nearly new OEM cylinder from a member here to put on my shelf for a rainy day.

My advice: grab up any parts you can now, they will only get harder to find as time marches on. They are great little pro grade saws and I think Husky has stepped in it by not offering anything on the same level in their current lineup, and no, I don't feel the 543xp fits the bill. I'd like to grab a Stihl 241 before they are gone too. Something about a pro grade sub-45cc that appeals to me. Maybe it's because there are so few options in that category these days.