MS461 CFB style

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
12:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive read red and silver can cross but not sugar with the other two. Not sure about norway. Oaks can cross I believe as well.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In one place I just saw that Maples can cross (was not specific), and another place said Sugar and Black Maple often cross!
Trees are interesting things. Amazing the different kinds of oaks on our landing piling up right now. Black, red, white and probably even the crosses between them that I can’t tell. White is the easiest to tell from the others and worth a lot more $.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Trees are interesting things. Amazing the different kinds of oaks on our landing piling up right now. Black, red, white and probably even the crosses between them that I can’t tell. White is the easiest to tell from the others and worth a lot more $ than the others.
I have northern red oak crossed with white oak in my woods

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have northern red oak crossed with white oak in my woods
Some of the red oak are slightly different color and you can tell there bit harder than the others when you cut them. I wonder if they are a cross? I guess it depends on the growing conditions too.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Black Oak seems denser grained than Red Oak, but the chart show higher BTUs for Red Oak.

Chestnut Oak, in the White Oak family but dark brown color, is real interesting. Gotta mill some of that sometime! AKA "Rock Oak", that stuff never rots of it is off the ground.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We cut a big chestnut oak last week, similar to white oak, but big blocky bark and interesting looking leaves. Black seems softer than the others when I cut it.

Last edited: