MS461 CFB style

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Leaves almost don't look like Oak, and the heartwood is real rich, dark color. Real hard stuff. I gave some real twisted grain stump stuff to a wood turner, and he said it was too hard to work with.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think they preferred Black Locust, you put it in the ground and it stays like new! Opposite of most wood, only the part above ground weathers and eventually rots. Those white posts they used to use to hold the 3 wire guard rails were made from Locust.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He said whichever one it was made for decent posts, that's what they cut when they ran out of locust.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Plain old White Oak is pretty durable also, that is what they used to build ships with.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
3:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
“Soft” maple is still fairly hard and that wood is probably froze I bet. When wood freezes it’s harder to cut and harder on chains than normal.
When stuff freezes it get harder? I dont *f-wording believe it man.

You guys are turning this into a hybrid thread:facepalm:
It's a good sign that you made an excellent saws since they can't whine about *s-word.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is good wood. They still use it for the locks on the Erie Canal, can't even make anything synthetic that works as well.
Mike taught me the leaf difference in White vs Red oak. They use white to make Barrels and for wine presses.

My simplest detection method is by smelling it after a cut. White oak smells like Vanilla to the nose after cutting it, where as Red Oak smells like dog shít.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
White, black and red oak (from left to right). The black almost looks like a red/black cross. View attachment 159815 This one is what I think is a 100% true black. View attachment 159816

Looks like black to me. You guys really picked a convoluted species to discuss. There about 600 different "oaks" world wide. As far as I know they will not cross between white and red. Meaning whites can cross with whites and red can cross with reds but never white and red.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From the interweb:

"Black oak is well known to readily hybridize with other members of the red oak (Quercus sect. Lobatae) group of oaks being one parent in at least a dozen different named hybrids"

No wonder it is so tough to figure out, and one person thinks one thing, and someone else another!

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
From the interweb:

"Black oak is well known to readily hybridize with other members of the red oak (Quercus sect. Lobatae) group of oaks being one parent in at least a dozen different named hybrids"

No wonder it is so tough to figure out, and one person thinks one thing, and someone else another!

Welcome to the life of an arborist.:tiburon:

As far as I'm concerned there are about a dozen people in the world that are genius level as far as tree identification. The rest of us are just doing the best we can.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dibbs on this CFB461.

Mine needs a mate.
5d5bd6d16a3ab2869b130b0623d24148.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro