MS461 CFB style

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, when red Maple has some rot, the center is usually darker and irregular (not round) in shape. If it were Silver Maple, he would think he were cutting Paper Mache!

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
True, I've only ever cut about 4 really nice soft maples in my life, veneer. Almost no heart and almost as hard as sugar maple. Still ain't worth chit

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like soft maple, red or silver, never had a hard maple split on impact.

EDIT: I take that back, I missed the rot at the fork. Just seems to have smooth bark for its size.
That’s what I thought too. Sugar is usually shaggy bark when it gets large/old. Almost resembles a shagbark hickory, but not quite as shaggy.

Last edited:

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
That’s what I thought too. Sugar is usually shaggy bark when it gets old. Almost resembles a shagbark hickory, but not quite as shaggy.
Looks the same around me too. Even starts to get like that around the age that tree is. Looks like soft maple to me.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
“Soft” maple is still fairly hard and that wood is probably froze I bet. When wood freezes it’s harder to cut and harder on chains than normal.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It honestly looks a lot like Norway maple. Not a true hard maple but still very hard wood. Its harder than silver or red maple. Soft maple is a bit of a misnomer in that it's all quite a bit harder than say poplar or cottonwood.

Bottom line I stand by my earlier statement. The saw is skookum! I'd be proud to own one!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your description of Norway Maple wood is spot on, but the bark is not smooth, looking more like Ash. The wood is almost as hard as Sugar Maple, and you can tap the trees (they have more sugar than Red or Silver Maple). Also, IMO, the wood is tougher to split than Sugar Maple, almost like Elm.

We got lots of em around here, they were planted heavily in NYC. I get mad because I see them replacing Sugar Maples in a lot of areas.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your description of Norway Maple wood is spot on, but the bark is not smooth, looking more like Ash. The wood is almost as hard as Sugar Maple, and you can tap the trees (they have more sugar than Red or Silver Maple). Also, IMO, the wood is tougher to split than Sugar Maple, almost like Elm.

We got lots of em around here, they were planted heavily in NYC. I get mad because I see them replacing Sugar Maples in a lot of areas.

No surprise there. Norway maple, while good firewood, is now considered a nasty invasive species in most places. They were heavily used in many urban areas in the Eastern US to replace all the dutch elm disease killed American elm. Unfortunately they spread like weeds and are gobbling up our native sugar maple habitat.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll throw in something else just to screw things up … sometimes the trees cross, and it is not entirely one or the other! That could explain all the different opinions on the same wood! Maybe it is half Red, half Sugar! There is sometimes cross pollination.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll throw in something else just to screw things up … sometimes the trees cross, and it is not entirely one or the other! That could explain all the different opinions on the same wood! Maybe it is half Red, half Sugar! There is sometimes cross pollination.
Murica...