huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
10:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've read that the Allen set screws are junk, otherwise the chicom knock offs work. Plan on picking up some replacement set screws from Mcmaster Carr. A friend just got a set new on ebay for a little over $100. He turned down the odd metric shaft thread for th T nut and used a 1/2" fine T nut.
Not sure if shars is chicom or not. I've turned about 50 cylinders on it and haven't had problems with anything yet. But tomorrow is a new day lol

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I drilled and tapped the compound base on mine. Locktited the 12 or 14mm stud that came with it into place. It's actually a size larger than what's recommended for mine, but several machining forums recommended the versatility of the larger one. I knew you'd gone through something similar. That's why I recommended you above;)
Can you grab a picture of yours with the tool holder and tool installed Kev ?

I'm just curious about the 200 series, my 100 series just about bottoms out with 2 or 3 different setups.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you grab a picture of yours with the tool holder and tool installed Kev ?

I'm just curious about the 200 series, my 100 series just about bottoms out with 2 or 3 different setups.
I'll try tonight if it quits raining.

With 1/2" tooling, I'd be borderline bottoming out. I'm up 1/4 - 3/8" with 5/16 bits

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not that familiar with different lathes. I was just showing the versatility of the qctp. I wish my lathe was a bit more rigid. I have to keep the gibs snug to avoid chatter if I'm turning steel
I need a stronger motor for mine if I want to turn steel ....... I really like the way yours has the quick select gearing for different head speeds. I've got to change gears plus mine is manual only cross slide

Last edited:

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yes sir . Mine isn't in as good condition as yours .
I've done a lot of little things to mine, and its a pretty good setup, but I'd consider selling my left arm for a powered cross slide.

I'm going by memory here (tainted with several Molson XXX's ...........)
I believe that the SB lathes have the A and B series as powered cross slides, with the C being a manual cross slide.

I can't remember if the A or B have a powered compound .........is your compound powered too ?

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need a stronger motor for mine if I want to turn steel ....... I really like the way yours has the quick select gearing for different head and compound speeds. I've got to change gears plus mine is manual only cross slide
Mine only has 1 power feed. Nothing on cross. I have about 5 extra gears to change to allow me to cut most threads metric and 'murican up to maybe an inch. Gotta hit the half nut lever when the dial reads 1,2 3, or 4 lol. I've used it once for threading. I took machining classes in hs and college, but Dino and BamBam were powering the lathe back then

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've done a lot of little things to mine, and its a pretty good setup, but I'd consider selling my left arm for a powered cross slide.

I believe that the SB lathes have the A and B series as powered cross slides, with the C being a manual cross slide.

I can't remember if the A or B have a powered compound .........is your compound powered too ?
@rattler's is a bit bigger than mine. A Grizzly with powered cross feed I think

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

nope . I have a manual compound .

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine only has 1 power feed. Nothing on cross. I have about 5 extra gears to change to allow me to cut most threads metric and 'murican up to maybe an inch. Gotta hit the half nut lever when the dial reads 1,2 3, or 4 lol. I've used it once for threading. I took machining classes in hs and college, but Dino and BamBam were powering the lathe back then
I've not yet cut a single thread on mine .......... and I'm sure Dino or BamBam would spin steel better than the motor I've got on mine.

One day I'll get a new lathe with a powered cross, bigger and stronger than mine now, probably more like Rattlers.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine only has 3 spindle speeds. Slow for cylinders, medium turns mandrels and small stuff. Haven't used high yet. Speeds change like a belt driven drill press- small-big pulleys, med-med pulleys, and big-small

kkemp

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As you can see it needs some work . I don't think the previous owner took care of it . Lol

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag