Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
didn’t know that, we always run studs in Maine
They weren't allowed to be sold in MA, but you could get the tires designed for studs like Ed said. Didn't know it wasn't a federal thing. Good to know.

Hulpio

DIY addict
GoldMember
Local time
9:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My wild guess is some grip on snow and ice but still may need more grooves and thin cuts. Anyway a lot better than plain summer tread.

Reactions: Lnk

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
99% of the time, you don't need chains. That 1% of the time can be a biatch without them.
Yep the 1% can get you which is why I keep the chains in the truck that and I already have them.

I guess the OP could always check into having his present tires sipped which could help their snow and ice performance.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep the 1% can get you which is why I keep the chains in the truck that and I already have them.

I guess the OP could always check into having his present tires sipped which could help their snow and ice performance.
Government agency vehicle so we can’t do that. We are also limited to what tires are available.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice. What did you guys decide on?
Well, after talking to our DOT contacts and seen what they run, we can get some on contract. I believe they are Pewag (sp?) brand made in USA. He is supposed to send me the contract list tomorrow. Pretty much he recommended at 4 link due to lower cost, square link 7mm with cams. That’s what they’ve been running when they have to have them. They also have a v bar/studded chain. He said they may work but are ROUGH, even off road. I did manage to talk him out of a set of 14.00-24 chains for my road grader since they have new graders with bigger tires now!

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
1:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, after talking to our DOT contacts and seen what they run, we can get some on contract. I believe they are Pewag (sp?) brand made in USA. He is supposed to send me the contract list tomorrow. Pretty much he recommended at 4 link due to lower cost, square link 7mm with cams. That’s what they’ve been running when they have to have them. They also have a v bar/studded chain. He said they may work but are ROUGH, even off road. I did manage to talk him out of a set of 14.00-24 chains for my road grader since they have new graders with bigger tires now!
Perfect!