High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

M-Tronic slowly eating away at porting gains?!!

Redbull661

661 hoarder (BlueBallz)
Local time
7:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For a while now I've wondered if the mtronic was trying to correct the saw back to maybe a "normal" programed into the mtronic range of performance. Thus my fear was that initial saw performance would be great after porting and would slow somewhat over time.

To test this I figured I would need a absolute never run coil and carb off a new saw. Figured I'd run my normal setup and then switch to a brand new coil and carb so the porting of the saw would be fresh to the mtronic and it wouldn't have time to bleed off any of the porting gains. I finally sold enough stuff to get a new 661. Pirated the carb and coil off it and here we go...

normal setup Tree monkey 661. 41" bar .404 RSLF new chain.
33.8 sec

Then I swapped to the brand new never run coil and carb and did reset and did a few cuts for the mtronic to learn.
34.0 sec ...I did a 2nd cut for good measure 33.5 sec - I pushed a little harder to make the saw cut faster on the 2nd cut rather than just my natural pressure.

my conclusion - it's not bleeding off performance. With the times being so close, I'd say it's amazing how fast the mtronic learned. Not to mention didn't fry my saw. (that was a concern I had)

A little background on why I did the reset - Stihl tech manuals say - when you change a coil or carb you need to do the "reset". I would have to agree. Saws just seem to run better when you do it.

Last edited:

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
8:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For a while now I've wondered if the mtronic was trying to correct the saw back to maybe a "normal" programed into the mtronic range of performance. Thus my fear was that initial saw performance would be great after porting and would slow somewhat over time.

To test this I figured I would need a absolute never run coil and carb off a new saw. Figured I'd run my normal setup and then switch to a brand new coil and carb so the porting of the saw would be fresh to the mtronic and it wouldn't have time to bleed off any of the porting gains. I finally sold enough stuff to get a new 661. Pirated the carb and coil off it and here we go...

normal setup Tree monkey 661. 41" bar .404 RSLF new chain.
33.8 sec

Then I swapped to the brand new never run coil and carb and did reset and did a few cuts for the mtronic to learn.
34.0 sec ...I did a 2nd cut for good measure 33.5 sec - I pushed a little harder to make the saw cut faster on the 2nd cut rather than just my natural pressure.

my conclusion - it's not bleeding off performance. With the times being so close, I'd say it's amazing how fast the mtronic learned. Not to mention didn't fry my saw. (that was a concern I had)

A little background on why I did the reset - Stihl tech manuals say - when you change a coil or carb you need to do the "reset". I would have to agree. Saws just seem to run better when you do it.
Did you really buy a new 661 just to test this theory?
o_O

EvilRoySlade

What’s my line?
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Julian, I thought your ported 661 used a manual carb?

If so, how does putting a controlled carb on show a comparison?

I do like the direction you’re traveling though. It really does make you wonder if the computer tries to save the saw based on saved data.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I allways thought that mtronic was designed to allow the saw to perform at its best, allways varying the fuel for max rpm, under every circumstance, regardless of environment or load. This little experiment shows that to be true, nice idea to check this J !!!

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Julian, I thought your ported 661 used a manual carb?

If so, how does putting a controlled carb on show a comparison?

I do like the direction you’re traveling though. It really does make you wonder if the computer tries to save the saw based on saved data.
Scott has played around with switching to manual carb/coil, but likes the mtron setup better. The one he had at my place was mtron.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for doing this test for us Julian.
Just curious as to why you didn't just do a reset on the mtronic module already on the saw? Doesn't the reset clear everything and go back to 0? Wouldn't this do the same thing?
One can never have enough saws. Lol