Local time
2:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
MT doesn’t like smoke.
I would like more info on this.....

There is no oxygen sensor in the MT.
With that in mind, the airflow thru the carb and engine should be no different than a normal saw.

Now in hot area's, I can see the added wiring becoming an issue if the saw was used in an area of Extreme Temps, but then again, I would also expect to see the plastic (if any) on the saw start to melt / warp....

lwhaples

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Interesting read. A lot of good replies.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
2:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMHO if the smoke is that bad how will a regular carb work any better. The mtronic will compensate faster than a fireman can retune and get the job done. Plus when in the heat of the battle you need it cut now not dik around with some tiny screwdriver

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know nothing about structure fires, but we do a lot of prescribed fires in my agency. We also do quite a bit of wildfire suppression if needed on our lands. With that said, I have used a 661 with good success on the firelines. If the air is too thick with smoke to see, I could see a problem with the saw running, BUT I won't be cutting a tree down in that kind of low visibility condition either. I have cut numerous trees down that were on fire with the 661 without any running problems. The bar gets hot as hell and the saw is probably close to melting the plastics.

I know our statewide contract is a set % off of catalog price on equipment.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why is a firefighter worrying about the size of a saw?

Need a saw powerful enough to properly pull a carbide chain at full speed and not break off carbides but not so heavy it becomes cumbersome.

Personally I think 60cc is a bare minimum for a fire saw. I like to see 70cc-75cc for vent and house rescue situations. On our volly Dept, we have a 90cc solo for our vent work, but we also have a 20” standard bar and chain, and a 32” ice bar and chain for water rescue.

As far as m-tronic vs manual carb, I think it’s a toss up. I don’t have any personal experience with a m-tronic. The only problem I’ve had with saws we not carb tuning issues. One Ff wrapped the saw clutch up with carpet, and another with a carb icing up. Lastly on our push pull style choke lever, one heavy handed fire fighter, pulled the lever off the carb and couldn’t figure out how he flooded it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
12:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Lastly on our push pull style choke lever, one heavy handed fire fighter, pulled the lever off the carb and couldn’t figure out how he flooded it.

Thank you for not calling him a moron.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you for not calling him a moron.

Naa... that fella with the choke lever is a bit of an ox and in a hurry. Now the guy that cut the floor out of the house and didn’t pull back the shag carpet... he was a moron. It was wound carpet strings so tight in clutch housing, it was like the chain brake was on, and then he did the same thing to our brand new Stihl TS420. He started asking for a third before I questioned what was happening. He is from a neighboring Dept with a reputation of being very freelance cowboy style.

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good read guys, thanks.

I am worried about the size of the saw because if I don’t most firemen are going to want a 661/880, why because bigger is always better right (not really). It’s funny how many young guys grab a 12lb commercial sledge hammer for breaching and the old guy grabs the 8lb, I assure you their is a reason (truth be told 7-8 years ago I grabbed the biggin too). FF is exhausting, simply wearing turnout gear and air packs is demanding, next throw in extra weight and I can attest every lb counts.

We have 2 trucks and a rescue on every structure fire call, they all carry 461 rescues for roof operations (as talked about earlier, and I agree they are properly sized).
Engine company is pulling saws for other calls. Downed tree, make a window a door, make a door an open wall. Most of our homes are lightweight construction and their is absolutely no need for a big saw. If it’s a downed tree with no immediate life safety issue we are not touching it.
My apprehension is during RIT operations making a window a door, or taking a wall from the exterior in smokey conditions. I agree wether it be a standard carb or Mtronic the situation is not ideal but it may be the hand that is dealt. Right now the dealer does not recommend an Mtronic, I’m not saying he’s right but he for all intensive purposes is the subject matter expert not me. If I go against his advice and God for bid something were to happen, well let’s just say I’m not going to put myself in that spot.

We have a smoke machine, looks like someone needs to get an Mtronic and do some field testing. Problem is I’m not burning up my personal saw and the department isn’t going to let me blow up one of theirs.

Be safe Gents, Rye.