RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok so I need a little help.

Background I'm a Pro Firefighter so we have an account with a local Stihl dealer, he's our vendor and subject matter expert. He is the only one I can go through. We have had an issue with our 291 we carry on the engine. It's been in the shop a few times, it hard starts sometimes then once running it will run fine then at times bog down under load. The shop is in fact this dealer, he has the contract for the entire county so I don't think he knows the saw in question is one he's serviced. The next issue is we have 3 shifts of Morons who think they know something about saws putting their hands on the saw so who knows who has touched/adjusted what.

Funny our truck carries 2 461's and they have been flawless, well besides the fuel recall.

So I called and said I wanted a new saw and thought a 362 CM would be perfect. We don't need a 441 and a 261 may be a bit small. He quickly said the way we run them would not be good for the Mtronic saws and said we would burn them up. Suggested a manual carb and a 291/311, lol. I said "ok, thanks I'll get back to you."

Before I go and make an ass out of myself and go against the dealers recommendation I'd like to know if I'm making a big mistake. My thought is the Mtronic will not get messed with by the masses at the station and should be easier to maintain and operate. That said it will see FD service, meaning no warm up run hard and shut down quick and jammed back in a compartment on the rig.

Let me know what you think.

And please don't say find another dealer, I can't simply do that.

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh and all we run is the ethanol free 50:1 can fuel so I don't believe we have a fuel issue.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never heard that before! I cant think of a reason they wouldn't serve you well. I suppose he didn't elaborate as to why they would not. I would recommend Mtronic yes. I have two Mtronic 241 C's and love them

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a 362c and now a 241 and I like them a lot, really thought an Mtronic would be the way to go.

Unfortunately even when I tried to get more out of him he wouldn't elaborate.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a 362c and now a 241 and I like them a lot, really thought an Mtronic would be the way to go.

Unfortunately even when I tried to get more out of him he wouldn't elaborate.
Sounds like he is pushing something on you, the fact that he wont elaborate screams BS! Mtronic works really good I tell you what I like the 241C more than any other saw because it is so light.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh and all we run is the ethanol free 50:1 can fuel so I don't believe we have a fuel issue.
It could be a carb or a vac leak or just tuning issue,set the H and Low back to the stock settings that are on the side cover . What is it like 1 turn out ?

Manofstihl661

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only thing I could think of is if it compensated for the lack of oxygen in the air or something if you were doing a ventilation it could cause an issue with being too lean or too rich?(I have a Benadryl hangover and can’t think clearly enough right now so please pardon my crazy if it doesn’t make sense)

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think your right....(wanting the Mtron)
and he's( the dealer) is wrong.

in a few years you will not be able to purchase a NON Mtron Stihl so maybe Stihl themselves agree with you.

Manofstihl661

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But then again the saw would be compensating while you work allowing for more efficient cuts and less to deal with.

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can think of no reason the mtronic would not work great in your situation.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for all the input guys.

The other issue not considered.
I guess one major concern and I’m not sure if any testing has been done is how will a saw react in an IDLH environment (smoke).
Now this saw will spend 99%of its life riding around in a compartment and getting run occasionally in the open air. That said it could be used in a RIT/Mayday situation to make a window a door or a door a missing wall. We have switched most of our fans over to electric fans/most battery powered due to internal combustion engines not liking smoke.

Just a thought
I wonder if an Mtronic or a standard carb would fair better.
Next I wonder if we should have an outside every day saw and start looking at the possibility or battery powered saws for IDLH emergency ops???

This is getting interesting!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I actually read a post somewhere here on OPE (or AS) that the MTronic does not adapt properly to fire hot low oxygen air and smoke!

I could be wrong though.
I am not a Stihl guy, in fact I never ran a Stihl to date, lest a MTronic one.

I'd be very cautious getting a MTronic saw for a fire truck saw.
Make sure You get more than one or two opinions, and try to get facts.
I'd contact Stihl directly, make a simple direct question!
Who is better qualified to answer than Stihl themselves - the guy at the shop is basically "just selling" Stihl.

Again, if memory serves someone related to fire department work made a post about MTronic NOT being able to adapt to excessive smoke and heat - that a flame burst can choke off the engine and cause a hard restart.
Which makes sense considering that the intensity of smoke and heat isn't constant but rather variable in bursts - while the MTronic requires reaction time to adapt.

I apologise beforehand if I'm wrong!

Manofstihl661

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the dealer charge to do regular service on your saws? Because then that may be why. He wants to charge to tune it or something