Jason; here's the L77 build.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jason down in GA, asked about an L77 he might get. So, passing on some pics of a build I did a couple years ago. Just wanted to make it a runner, not a pretty one, so I didn't go the restoration route. Kept it stock. The nicer they come out, the less I run them. :) Not in bad shape to start with.

031.JPG

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Couple shots of the cylinder. Bottom fed transfers. Quite a deep cylinder skirt. This top end was actually carried over as is and used on the 480CD, which obviously looks nothing like an L77.

037.JPG

038.JPG

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would you believe the gaskets were still available when I did this? Probably still are. It's a thick gasket, so I imagine that it couldn't be deleted without having to do some other alterations.

041.JPG

Shot of the intake side. Interesting story on the thinking behind fluid location. Lot of saws back then like this had both fluids in the crankcase. Having fuel in the case caused some running issues that we are all familiar with. So, when these saws gave way to the 480-2100 models they got both gas and oil into a separate tank. Solved the gas issues, but then they realized that while it was better to separate the gas, the oil was better off in the case where it could be kept warm in cold weather so it would flow better. Not to mention that oil won't corrode the inside of a metal tank like bad fuel will. So, that's why they ended up where they are today.

043.JPG