High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Is 3 Chains Per Bar Really the Rule of Thumb?

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey, all,

Somewhere I seem to recall hearing that by the time you wore out three chains, the bar should probably be worn out, or at least the sprocket tip. Is that true?

Reason I ask is, it seems like I go through more chains than that before the bars are wore out. I only file them to sharpen, and never rock them, and although we have a lot of sand around here, I generally keep them out of the dirt.

Maybe I'm filing them too much? Normally when I file, I file the tooth until it feels like the file is taking off meat from the entire "contact area" of the tooth. You can tell by how much the file "bites" or "drags." This generally takes between six and 10 strokes with the file. Also, I don't really try to use the same number of strokes on every tooth...I file until it feels right as said above. And I generally sharpen after every 4 tanks or so of mix, or sooner if I notice the chain getting dull.

I know it's hard to tell without seeing me do it, but does it sound like I'm taking too much meat off the teeth? Should I just concentrate on filing the cutting edges? (I use 13/64" files on 3/8" full chisel Stihl RS chains, mostly, if that matters.)

Last edited:

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never heard of that rule. Generally the rails have a lot of life compared to the tip. If you lay a chain on the bar when the tip is pointed to the sky, the tie straps shouldn’t touch the bar. The sprocket nose should support the chain.

Obviously the tip can be replaced if it is that type. A Stihl rollomatic es is replaceable tip. You get probably 3 or 4 tips out of a bar.

http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_noses.htm

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Homemade. I guess I heard (or remembered) wrong. Glad to hear the tip is replaceable on the Rollomatic ES...that's what I run. Appreciate the help.

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
9:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That 'rule of thumb' has been published in a lot of Oregon materials. Of course, they sell chains, bars, sprockets, etc.!

- Run 2 chains alternately until both are used up; replace the chains and drive sprocket at the same time.
- Replace the bar after replacing the second drive sprocket (4 chains).

Obviously, some of this depends on what types of chains, bars, etc. you are using (pro or consumer) and what type of cutting that you are doing. Good thing to inspect the bar for wear and burrs each time you swap out a chain.

Screen shot 2018-07-05 at 12.18.37 AM.png
Screen shot 2018-07-05 at 12.19.29 AM.png

Philbert

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would guess that by keeping your bar dressed and flipping regularly would give your bar some longevity as well.
On the bars that have greasable tips, keep them greased as well.

The Sugihara/Tsumura bars should last much longer than the regular steel bars.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would guess that by keeping your bar dressed and flipping regularly would give your bar some longevity as well.
On the bars that have greasable tips, keep them greased as well.

The Sugihara/Tsumura bars should last much longer than the regular steel bars.
Greasing the bar nose is another debate. Owner of Great Lakes Tree Service, 35+ years of business, believes greasing holds dirt and wears them out faster. He never greases them and only turns up oil pump and they last. Cleans and sharpens saws he and crew uses daily, amazing, he tries to get the most out of every penny he spends. I will ask him how many chains per bar he uses.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting. I never really thought about that.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting. I never really thought about that.

I'm not sure where it's written, maybe on the Madsen's site, but from what I recall you should grease them at every chain filing or never. Basically yeah, it holds dirt and they're something about the grease creating a barrier so that bar oil won't get to the bearings. No problem if you keep adding grease, but if you think you can grease them up once a year and be good to go, you're actually better off skipping it altogether.

Personally I've never greased a bar tip.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The eldest bar that I still have in operation is the factory original Dolmar branded Oregon laminate sprocket tip bar on my Dolmar PS-6400.
I never really bothered counting, but that bar wore out 10 to 15 chains total and it has been running a Carbide tipped loop for the last one a half years.
I deepened the groove twice at the tail end, sprocket tip is top/no significant signs of wear.

I flip and dress my bars regularly, as in every other chain sharpening (I file my chains).
I NEVER grease them, although most of them have the grease hole (HINT: the B&C oil is lubricating the tips bearing by seeping down to it whenever the chain stops mowing! ;) ).
I try to keep my chains sharp and myself off the bucking spikes - if I find myself utilizing the spikes the chains isn't sharp and I am generally grinding metal against metal causing exponentially more wear to my bars rails and my chains tie straps (You'd be surprised how cold the B&C stay when One lets the chain self feed!).
I generally use quality chains and factory spun loops.

It also depends on the quality of the bar!
I gave an AM bar a try once, ran a brand new Dolmar branded Oregon loop on it - the bars rails were shot after 4-5 tanks of fuel.
I dressed the old Dolmar branded Oregon bar the saw came with, mounted it on the saw and I am running it since.
The slapped out "new" AM bar is hanging on a nail awaiting it's death sentence (I have something peculiar in mind and need only it's tail section).

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You gotta try a Sugihara or Tsumura bar Wilhelm

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, asked owner of Great Lakes Tree Service and I cannot repeat everything he said. Went on the order of don't those guys know how to dress a bar. I informed him, he should be changing his bar every 3 chains and greasing nose sprocket. He wanted to know if I thought he was stupid. Here is what he stated about his bars. Runs 4- T540's and guesses they go through 20-30 chains each per year. Trades his top handle saws in every 2 years, 2 every other year and they are usually traded in with original bars. Uses 2 -562's the most after those T540's, 15-20 chains each per year, trades them in every 3 years with same bars. He was using 372's, but switched to 562's. 385 and 394, I have rebuilt before and said still has original 4 foot bar for his 20+ year old 394. 385 has had a couple bars on it. About greasing, why the hell grease that sprocket, it has oil puking on it all day long, turn the oilers up. He offered $5.00 for each 20 inch to 3 foot , 58 gauge large mount Husky bar that gets replaced every third chain, with a working oiler. As I said he does keep his saws cleaned daily and sits in his shop sharping any dull chain daily, while drinking a few beers.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have worn out about 10 chains on a oregon lightweight 28” and it’s fine. About the same on my other 28” Sugi and it’s fine. They say a good bar should outlast the powerhead. Take care of the bar, keep the tension proper and it’ll take care of you.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Greasing the bar nose is another debate. Owner of Great Lakes Tree Service, 35+ years of business, believes greasing holds dirt and wears them out faster. He never greases them and only turns up oil pump and they last. Cleans and sharpens saws he and crew uses daily, amazing, he tries to get the most out of every penny he spends. I will ask him how many chains per bar he uses.
Calm down buddy, he was talking about stihl bars lol.
No problem if you keep adding grease, but if you think you can grease them up once a year and be good to go, you're actually better off skipping it altogether.
This is what I have heard, and as soon as I heard it it was a great reason to stop greasing them.