p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
3:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That happens a lot at dealerships. We almost sent a brand new MS-440 out the door without a carburetor once. The manager of the shop borrowed the carburetor to get another customer's saw running (we didn't have new stock on the shelf at the time). Of course, it was forgotten about until a logger came in to buy the new saw.
Sheesh you mean chit happens? Who would have thought lol?

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
3:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sheesh you mean chit happens? Who would have thought lol?

The funny story about that 440 is that the gold technician I was working with at the time didn't know the carb was gone.

He filled it up with gas and tried starting it - it was "popping" on fuel that was squirting out of the end of the fuel line directly into the crankcase.
He pulled it over 15-20 times and it must have popped five or six times but wouldn't run continually.

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At least they recalled them rather than pretend all was well.

:tiburon:
I just started reading this thread but I would have to say this is exactly the problem. They have a real problem with accountability over here. The Swedes like to avoid confrontation and sweep stuff under the rug as it were, 'everybody makes mistakes' lets move on. I don't know how many times the wife told me not to rock the boat, don't push too hard for change. It is also extremely hard to fire anyone due to strong unions rules, not that I am hating on unions but if someone does a *s-wordty job repeatedly I think they should be fired.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
5:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, it is a pushrod.
The cause was the active fuel management lifter that tend to not do what they are supposed to.
No piston to valve contact.
20181204_123337.jpg

The internal latch in the lifter fails, lifter stays collapsed and pushrod pops out of rocker arm, then turns into a pretzel.
They go in streaks, but I would say we average 3-4 of these a month.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The funny story about that 440 is that the gold technician I was working with at the time didn't know the carb was gone.

He filled it up with gas and tried starting it - it was "popping" on fuel that was squirting out of the end of the fuel line directly into the crankcase.
He pulled it over 15-20 times and it must have popped five or six times but wouldn't run continually.

Sounds like you almost had fuel injection figured out.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just started reading this thread but I would have to say this is exactly the problem. They have a real problem with accountability over here. The Swedes like to avoid confrontation and sweep stuff under the rug as it were, 'everybody makes mistakes' lets move on. I don't know how many times the wife told me not to rock the boat, don't push too hard for change. It is also extremely hard to fire anyone due to strong unions rules, not that I am hating on unions but if someone does a *s-wordty job repeatedly I think they should be fired.

Thank you sir for the insight.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you sir for the insight.
I have a lot of nordic buds. Aside from 'lagom', one of the more interesting insights in to their culture is janteloven, jantelaw, etc:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Jante

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Law of Jante (Danish: Janteloven)[note 1] is a code of conduct said to be common in Nordic countries, that portrays doing things out of the ordinary, being overtly personally ambitious, or not conforming, as unworthy and inappropriate.

The attitudes were first formulated in the form of the ten rules of Jante Law by the Dano-Norwegian author Aksel Sandemose, in his satirical novel A Fugitive Crosses His Tracks (En flyktning krysser sitt spor, 1933), but the actual attitudes themselves would be older.[1] His novel portrays the fictional small Danish town Jante, which he modelled upon his native town Nykøbing Mors in the 1930s, which was typical of all small towns and communities, where nobody was anonymous.[2]

Used generally in colloquial speech in the Nordic countries as a sociological term to denote a condescending attitude towards individuality and success, the term refers to a mentality that diminishes individual effort and places all emphasis on the collective, while simultaneously denigrating those who try to stand out as individual achievers.[3]

Now where's Niko?

Last edited:

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh, and here's the WIki for lagom:

Lagom (pronounced [²lɑːɡɔm]) is a Swedish word meaning "just the right amount". The Lexin Swedish-English dictionary defines lagom as "enough, sufficient, adequate, just right". Lagom is also widely translated as "in moderation", "in balance", "perfect-simple", and "suitable" (in matter of amounts).

Sometimes when I ask a Swedish bud how he's doing, and he pauses for a moment, I will interject 'lagom?', and they will often just nod. There's a bit mroe to it than can really be expalined in a sound bite, but you get the idea.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just found this thread. I've been looking for a mid size saw lately to have ported, but new tech and design features, and cheaper quality of today's equipment has about scared me away from all options out there. I'm starting to wonder if I should try building my own saw from scratch (almost scratch). Maybe even end up selling them, just not on a mass produced scale.

It would be hard for me to make a light weight and durable one without advanced plastic and magnesium manufacturing tools, but perhaps I could aim for a lot of power from a small engine with porting, reed or rotary valves, and charging off an oversized flywheel impeller.

I was looking at a Husqvarna 550 or Stihl 261, but a lot of research and thinking and downsides to both brands or saw models has left me thinking I could do better at building what I want.

It just makes you wonder where the world will end up in 20 years. Will every piece of tech be a highly advanced expensive piece of fragile junk?

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guys I hate to have to go here but...here goes. The people pulling the puppet strings hate you hate me. They hate our country, the economy and actually hate themselves too. You are talking about a perverted class of fool that thinks trees are more important that people. You wanna see trees? Don't mow your pasture for about five years. You can't stop trees. They would do anything to hinder progress even while we are planting more trees than ever. How did they get in charge of it? Pure unadulterated laziness in droves both physical and mental. Thus there is so many of them well they must be right. You cannot kill a bat in your own home even if it bit somebody. The damn bat is more important than you. So they can sit around spending your money to create ways to destroy your life. They spend your money to bulldoze all the trees needed to build windmills by the thousands of acres then they spend your money to try and prevent windmills from killing the damn bats. They are killing millions of bats with your money and you cannot kill a god damn one of the friggen thangs or it's your ass. And you aren't supposed to cut any trees too or they are gonna come over and carbeque your truck and smash out all the windows in your town. Real good ecology there idiots. It sounds pretty counter-intuitive to me. But that's the problem.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just found this thread. I've been looking for a mid size saw lately to have ported, but new tech and design features, and cheaper quality of today's equipment has about scared me away from all options out there. I'm starting to wonder if I should try building my own saw from scratch (almost scratch). Maybe even end up selling them, just not on a mass produced scale.

It would be hard for me to make a light weight and durable one without advanced plastic and magnesium manufacturing tools, but perhaps I could aim for a lot of power from a small engine with porting, reed or rotary valves, and charging off an oversized flywheel impeller.

I was looking at a Husqvarna 550 or Stihl 261, but a lot of research and thinking and downsides to both brands or saw models has left me thinking I could do better at building what I want.

It just makes you wonder where the world will end up in 20 years. Will every piece of tech be a highly advanced expensive piece of fragile junk?
Cant sell new one if the old ones last for ever. Its a race to the bottom these days.

Guys I hate to have to go here but...here goes. The people pulling the puppet strings hate you hate me. They hate our country, the economy and actually hate themselves too. You are talking about a perverted class of fool that thinks trees are more important that people. You wanna see trees? Don't mow your pasture for about five years. You can't stop trees. They would do anything to hinder progress even while we are planting more trees than ever. How did they get in charge of it? Pure unadulterated laziness in droves both physical and mental. Thus there is so many of them well they must be right. You cannot kill a bat in your own home even if it bit somebody. The damn bat is more important than you. So they can sit around spending your money to create ways to destroy your life. They spend your money to bulldoze all the trees needed to build windmills by the thousands of acres then they spend your money to try and prevent windmills from killing the damn bats. They are killing millions of bats with your money and you cannot kill a god damn one of the friggen thangs or it's your ass. And you aren't supposed to cut any trees too or they are gonna come over and carbeque your truck and smash out all the windows in your town. Real good ecology there idiots. It sounds pretty counter-intuitive to me. But that's the problem.

Are you really the Batman ?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

tl;dr