In This Day And Age....

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a lot of nordic buds. Aside from 'lagom', one of the more interesting insights in to their culture is janteloven, jantelaw, etc:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Jante

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Law of Jante (Danish: Janteloven)[note 1] is a code of conduct said to be common in Nordic countries, that portrays doing things out of the ordinary, being overtly personally ambitious, or not conforming, as unworthy and inappropriate.

The attitudes were first formulated in the form of the ten rules of Jante Law by the Dano-Norwegian author Aksel Sandemose, in his satirical novel A Fugitive Crosses His Tracks (En flyktning krysser sitt spor, 1933), but the actual attitudes themselves would be older.[1] His novel portrays the fictional small Danish town Jante, which he modelled upon his native town Nykøbing Mors in the 1930s, which was typical of all small towns and communities, where nobody was anonymous.[2]

Used generally in colloquial speech in the Nordic countries as a sociological term to denote a condescending attitude towards individuality and success, the term refers to a mentality that diminishes individual effort and places all emphasis on the collective, while simultaneously denigrating those who try to stand out as individual achievers.[3]

Now where's Niko?
Oh, and here's the WIki for lagom:

Lagom (pronounced [²lɑːɡɔm]) is a Swedish word meaning "just the right amount". The Lexin Swedish-English dictionary defines lagom as "enough, sufficient, adequate, just right". Lagom is also widely translated as "in moderation", "in balance", "perfect-simple", and "suitable" (in matter of amounts).

Sometimes when I ask a Swedish bud how he's doing, and he pauses for a moment, I will interject 'lagom?', and they will often just nod. There's a bit mroe to it than can really be expalined in a sound bite, but you get the idea.
Exactly. Lagom and mysigt, swedens two favorite words/concepts.