I want a roof over my mill

junkman

Crush it
Local time
6:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am getting close to free up some time to cover my mill with a roof of some kind ,need to come out about 16 feet off the side of the garage which is 32 deep ,will need a header of some kind at least 24 long for the mill opening to access logs from the side with the skid loader ,if i shed roof it will be cheaper ,but i do have some 24 foot wide trusses ,but will have to lay then 90 degrees of the roof line and do some valleys and tear into my existing comp roof ,and mess with woodstove pipes ,so am leaning the roof shed roof for time ,any pics of your guys stuff to get me some idea's ? I can go milled beams or peel the bark off doug fir and use full logs for the frame structure ,i want no walls for easy access all around .

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
9:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd do it the easy way. Does the bark attract bugs out there?

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You got a pic of where you want it? 24' means a BIG beam. If you have the height you can do wood, or else steel makes it easy.
Asphalt or steel roofing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You got a pic of where you want it? 24' means a BIG beam. If you have the height you can do wood, or else steel makes it easy.
Asphalt or steel roofing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats why i am thinking whole logs peeled for the frame, a 16- 18 inch log should hold the roof we do not get much snow here it will end up low pitch if shed roof it ,2-12 if i use double truss like a pole barn i have 4-12 pitch tieing into a 5-12 on the shop,the shop had comp roof now ,i may metal the shed roof ,it would tie in below the overhangs

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
8:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
get you a spool a rope a big tarp and some metal poles and make a temporary roof it is cheaper that way.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
get you a spool a rope a big tarp and some metal poles and make a temporary roof it is cheaper that way.
I had a ez up type roof for a while 8-16 but the wind destroyed it,my lumber is free ,i make it ,i have some metal roofing at work ,i bet i wont have much into it,i have trees on my land for the wood

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had a ez up type roof for a while 8-16 but the wind destroyed it,my lumber is free ,i make it ,i have some metal roofing at work ,i bet i wont have much into it,i have trees on my land for the wood
slab the roof and support it using 4x4's it wont fall down then lol

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well for a guy who has access to a bunch of steel why not span it with a bar joist ? I would take one tough azz bug to eat through that .

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We need a picture of the building site......

Please:)
Its a mess right now ,been milling the last week after work ,yes i need to pressure wash my roof too ,lol
I am going to refresh the building ,i have some lap siding /hardiboard stuff left over from the house i can use ,or o may just put 1x2 cedar strips over the lp siding grooves to make a board and batton like i did the building in the background ,the roof is almost 2 years old now and i was going to put architecture/comp on it sometime ,but was not planning this soon ,i do have eight 4-12 trusses also from my old pole garage i can use ,but i will have to stick frame to the existing roof ,and have to buy more material ,the shop wall is 9 foot tall ,i think with some pitch the opening where i drive the logs in would be around 7 feet if i shed roof it ,if i truss it the opening would be nice and tall ,with the ground slope 10-11 feet tall ,i could run 6x6 for uprights with 6x12 headers maybe for the trusses ? then have all 3 walls open for walking boards in and out
the little storage shed is just sitting there ,i keep the mill stuff in there ,i can move it with the skid loader
shop dimentions are 36 across the front and 32 feet deep with 5-12 roof pitch that is 2x4 trussesshop saw mill pic 001.JPG shop saw mill pic 002.JPG house shop 002.JPG

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The first thing I would do is a little site work. Cut the ground down level and flat using a spot about 20' out and to the left of the front of the new building as a bench mark.

Then you would have quite a lot more height if I'm reading the ground correctly.

Then use beams for the whole structure. Shed roof style right off the overhang of the garage.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much header for a 20-24 foot opening you think ?I can gusset the corners also for support and side sway .the shed roof would be a lot less work ,so just take the gutter off and the facia board and sister the roof rafters along the trusses and to the building CIMG7611.JPG ? so i get one continuous roof ,then move the gutter to the shed roof ?

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's how I would do it.

A 24' span is asking a lot of a wooden beam. If you have enough height, you could stack two.....
I have a couple buildings with only 4x6 headers spamming 12 feet in pole building framing ,and 2x6 rafters going 14 feet ,never had a sag or colapse from the little bit of snow we get ,weather is real mild here ,it is 56 degrees right now in june ,avg winter temps are 45

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
24' imo is asking a lot for wood. I don't know what your budget is but I would get a price on a steel I-beam. There cheaper then you might think. I would build it like your drawing.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a couple buildings with only 4x6 headers spamming 12 feet in pole building framing ,and 2x6 rafters going 14 feet ,never had a sag or colapse from the little bit of snow we get ,weather is real mild here ,it is 56 degrees right now in june ,avg winter temps are 45

If you are determined to use wood (I like that idea too) then plan on about 16" tall......also, trim the sides to about 8". Too much width just makes it overly heavy, and it could then sag under it's own weight.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know a 12 inch by 6 glue lam will span 20 feet and meet code here ,if i use a 16 inch log doug fir ,that should be stout also if bring the uprights 2 feet in at both ends ,i do not mind the whole log look ,i can buzz a flat spot off the top only for the rafters if needed ,peeled doug firs with spar varnish look pretty nice actually .

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
24' imo is asking a lot for wood. I don't know what your budget is but I would get a price on a steel I-beam. There cheaper then you might think. I would build it like your drawing.
I am hoping to use all wood if possible

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you can square up a 24' log in the 16" range should work. We built a 40'x120' bank barn and the beams are 10x10's 16 foot long on about 16" centers. Some of the beams are just logs with two flat sides.
We stack about 150 round bales and other equipment in there with the skid loader.

Only picture I have of the barn on my phone. From the block on the left to the post by the white barrels is 16'. Same thing on the other side

image.png