High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

I Need Some Chaps

Cloggerpro

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Also, I should note that Kevlar has not been used in chainsaw protection for quite a few years (at least by mainstream manufacturers).
Reason being that while it is great when new, it degrades significantly over time and with washing.
Sorry, not wanting to sound like a know it all, just happens to be the industry I work in!!! More than happy to be disagreed with:)

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
12:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes it does and that’s why I prefer the chaps the protective layer are from the waist all the way to the bottom. Found a standard but in order to read it you need to purchase the license to see it

Cloggerpro

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes it does and that’s why I prefer the chaps the protective layer are from the waist all the way to the bottom. Found a standard but in order to read it you need to purchase the license to see it
We will no doubt have a copy of it kicking around at the office ( I work remotely ) I will see if I can find it next time I am there and give a basic outline on here for you.

Cloggerpro

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok was just curious on the fpm chain speed ect
Ah right. That i can tell you.
The EU standard (and also Australian/New Zealand) is run at a chainspeed of 20 metres/second (3900 feet/minute) and the power is cut on the point of contact (on the assumption the user will instinctively release the trigger). It is also run using a electric saw with a specifically weighted flywheel, although not sure what the idea behind this is.
The US standard is 16 metres/second (3100 feet/minute) and the power is held on throughout (on the assumption the user will instinctively grip the trigger!) This is done using a petrol saw with a standard setup!

This is off memory, I will correct next time I am in the office if wrong, but am pretty certain it is correct

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see so in all reality they are probably pretty equal in terms of protection. Faster speed assuming you’ll let off right away vs less chain speed but saw under power in a panic situation for test. I think the ones I’m using are adequate protection and any is better than none.

Cloggerpro

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I see so in all reality they are probably pretty equal in terms of protection. Faster speed assuming you’ll let off right away vs less chain speed but saw under power in a panic situation for test. I think the ones I’m using are adequate protection and any is better than none.
Yep, you will be quite safe in what you have! I agree that the end result is more or less the same from either method of testing. Sadly there is no unified global standard yet, it would make life a lot simpler for us manufacturers!

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Um... I'm talking about chain speeds north of 15k maybe 20.
Sounds like good or custom chainsaw pants and chaps. My junks not getting cut or my feet. Chainsaw pants, steel toe boots, heal straps on the chaps and around my boot.

Thanks for the info.

I'll read up at night on the poly fibers again. Much of that tech may apply to climbing lines, window nets and body harnesses. My saddle should have that in the rope bridge and elsewhere. Tough stuff indeed.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m thinking another good way to reduce your chance of injury is to only buy name brand chains not some of these soft inconsistent china chains that never quit stretching. Almost think a test to compare the name brand chains and china ones. Pull them till they break doing several of each size and brand then you could average out the tensile strength. Chains that break less often will reduce the chance of injury also

Cloggerpro

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Um... I'm talking about chain speeds north of 15k maybe 20.
Sounds like good or custom chainsaw pants and chaps. My junks not getting cut or my feet. Chainsaw pants, steel toe boots, heal straps on the chaps and around my boot.

Thanks for the info.

I'll read up at night on the poly fibers again. Much of that tech may apply to climbing lines, window nets and body harnesses. My saddle should have that in the rope bridge and elsewhere. Tough stuff indeed.
Heck! what are you using to get chainspeeds of 15-20000 feet per minute?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Canadian Stihl site has 15 chaps or pants listed.
Artie Johnson.jpg verrry interesting . . . .!

I assumed that the Canadian STIHL products would closely follow the US ones, but that website shows they are significantly different.

STIHL USA proudly promotes their use of AVERTIC® protective fibers, manufactured by the Swedish firm Engtex, while the Canadian STIHL website describes layers of Kevlar® and polyester. They also list different chain speed ratings. On one hand, the specifications are performance based: it does not matter what materials are used as long as they perform adequately. But surprising that they would use different materials in different markets.

Here is a summary of the chain speed protective ratings I have found on various sites (please jump in if this is incorrect, or if you have better information).

USA
2,700 ft/min

CANADA
2,600 ft/min
3,000 ft/min
3,600 ft/min
4,100 ft/min

EUROPE (EN)
3,937 ft/min (20 m/s)
4,724 ft/min (24 m/s)
5,512 ft/min (28 m/s)

Holy Cr*p! I have enough trouble just getting guys to wear them!

Philbert

Last edited:

Cloggerpro

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 229652 verrry interesting . . . .!

I assumed that the Canadian STIHL products would closely follow the US ones, but that website shows they are significantly different.

STIHL USA proudly promotes their use of AVERTIC® protective fibers, manufactured by the Swedish firm Engtex, while the Canadian STIHL website describes layers of Kevlar® and polyester. They also list different chain speed ratings. On one hand, the specifications are performance based: it does not matter what materials are used as long as they perform adequately. But surprising that they would use different materials in different markets.

Here is a summary of the chain speed protective ratings I have found on various sites (please jump if this is incorrect, or if you have better information).

USA
2,700 ft/min

CANADA
2,600 ft/min
3,000 ft/min
3,600 ft/min
4,100 ft/min

EUROPE (EN)
3,937 ft/min (20 m/s)
4,724 ft/min (24 m/s)
5,512 ft/min (28 m/s)

Philbert
Hahahahaha yeah its a minefield, the more you find out the more confusing it gets, particularly once you take into account the different methods of testing used to achieve those ratings!!! By the way, Stihl don't make any of their own PPE, it is all outsourced. Not saying that is a bad thing, but each region likely has its own supply lines given the differences in regulations, although that may change a little as US/CAN are consolidating regulations somewhat under the UL label.

Cloggerpro

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I am not aware of ANY of the hardware manufacturers actually making their own chainsaw protection. Again, its not a bad thing, but just a note that branded products should be judged on their individual merits, not the brand that has been slapped on the outside of them!

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 229652 verrry interesting . . . .!

Here is a summary of the chain speed protective ratings I have found on various sites (please jump in if this is incorrect, or if you have better information).

USA
2,700 ft/min

CANADA
2,600 ft/min
3,000 ft/min
3,600 ft/min
4,100 ft/min

EUROPE (EN)
3,937 ft/min (20 m/s)
4,724 ft/min (24 m/s)
5,512 ft/min (28 m/s)

Philbert

:sconf:

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m thinking another good way to reduce your chance of injury is to only buy name brand chains not some of these soft inconsistent china chains that never quit stretching. Almost think a test to compare the name brand chains and china ones. Pull them till they break doing several of each size and brand then you could average out the tensile strength. Chains that break less often will reduce the chance of injury also

Not only YES to that but HELL YES to that...

When you are half way through the sharpening life of a chain and you are STILL having to re-tension multiple times per tank you have a problem

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Cheap chain is BS and has no place in my tool box, period.

@Definitive Dave

I'm sure your three cube is faster but...
What is the chain speed of your five cube saw on change-overs free revving over the cant?

OldJack

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Longest article I've seen on chainsaw chaps and pants.
https://www.spi-s.com/en/blog/ohs-p...ight-protective-pants?AutoSwitchContext=false

If it comes up in French, click on the Canadian flag in the top left corner.

Looks like there's at least 4 outfits making chaps in Canada.
Whoever is making Stihl in Vancouver, B.C.
My chaps label:
upload_2020-3-11_22-24-55.png

Filature de L'Isle-Verte Green Island Spinning Mill
https://filature.ca/index.php?id_product=20&controller=product&id_lang=2

https://www.dendrotik.com/en/produc...MIh7KtnrCT6AIVFh6tBh3MBg52EAQYBSABEgIg7fD_BwE

Several models, all in French.
http://jeanguglia.com/produits/vetements/vetements-de-protection/pantalons-de-securite/