4:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need feedback on buying a new pair of chaps

Cutting this weekend with my new saw and no chaps I felt very vulnerable

Back in Alaska I wear full wrap Labonvilles but they are now double what I paid

Worth it I’m sure but wondering if there is a less expensive option

I see everything from Forester to Echo for about half the cost and they say certified but still...

I noticed Archerplus has chaps that they say are made in Canada by the largest maker in North America yada yada

Anyone have any experience with them?

I know PPE is not where you want to cheap out but I wouldn’t mind some options

Thanks in advance

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had a pair of Swede Pro wrap chaps for years now. They’ve served me very well.I really don’t know how they compare in price to others though.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I appreciate all the input

It's been quite a few years since I bought chaps and I thought there might have been a new kid on the block but it seems that those in the know (you guys) are sticking with the tried and true...

Benjo

Some Guy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I appreciate all the input

It's been quite a few years since I bought chaps and I thought there might have been a new kid on the block but it seems that those in the know (you guys) are sticking with the tried and true...
Pretty much the case, folks tend to be a bit more hesitant to change in areas of safety.

Chaps-wise I've had the best luck with the husqvarna technical despite their predilection for melting. I've finally thrown in for pants/trousers instead of chaps, that's where the changes are happening nowadays. They're required in many places like Europe, so they've been forced to innovate with things like the Clogger Zero pants (way lighter and cooler than the safety pants of yore) and many others.

But you can't get away cheap with the fancy new pants, I spent all of the $ I had saved for a 572 on 2 pairs and some proper protective boots. Feels a bit silly wearing nearly $300 pants, but I know my family feels good about it and now that I spent the money I certainly don't regret it. If anyone cares, I can give my feedback on the chainsaw trousers options currently available.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty much the case, folks tend to be a bit more hesitant to change in areas of safety.

Chaps-wise I've had the best luck with the husqvarna technical despite their predilection for melting. I've finally thrown in for pants/trousers instead of chaps, that's where the changes are happening nowadays. They're required in many places like Europe, so they've been forced to innovate with things like the Clogger Zero pants (way lighter and cooler than the safety pants of yore) and many others.

But you can't get away cheap with the fancy new pants, I spent all of the $ I had saved for a 572 on 2 pairs and some proper protective boots. Feels a bit silly wearing nearly $300 pants, but I know my family feels good about it and now that I spent the money I certainly don't regret it. If anyone cares, I can give my feedback on the chainsaw trousers options currently available.

I’m interested in your thoughts on the pants

My gut reaction is they would be too hot for Hawaii but I’d like to hear what you have to say

Benjo

Some Guy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m interested in your thoughts on the pants

My gut reaction is they would be too hot for Hawaii but I’d like to hear what you have to say

Being too hot is indeed the general complaint about chainsaw pants, but the Clogger Zeros are worth a look in that department. This summer I tried lighter pants with chaps versus Clogger Zeros, the zeros were cooler while cutting (and did better when soaked with sweat), but the advantage of the chaps was I could take them off on breaks which felt great.

Not that you couldn't take off your pants on breaks, guess it depends on what you wear under them!

I tried 2 types of Oregon pants (Waipoua and Fiordland, had to order from UK, they don't sell them in north america), Pfanner Gladiator Vents, Clogger Zero, and Arbortec Breatheflex. In Hawaii, I wouldn't consider anything except the Cloggers. I kept the Zeros and Pfanners. I use the Pfanners most, but they're best when it's 60F or below. The Oregons were both quite hot, although much less expensive.

It's hard to know if you'll like them without trying them in the field, I understood why some people say they're like wearing sleeping bags on your legs, but again, the Cloggers are much lighter and cooler than anything else out there. They also have good customer service and will do custom sizes, embroidery, etc.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, great info

My jeans already get soaking wet after an hour or two of weedeating, sawing, basically anything strenuous in this climate so I am not sure about saw pants

I will do some more homework and it's possible someone in the Anchorage area might stock pants I can actually look at

We are heading back to Alaska next Saturday for the holidays which gives me a bit more than a month to find something to bring back or ship over to Hawaii

Thanks again for the awesome write up!!!

Benjo

Some Guy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No problem, hope it helps! Definitely helps to try in person, I could only find the Arbortecs near me. Everything else I had to order (and guess on sizing).

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I am still researching new chaps or pants and specifically some I can look at and try on locally

I found Echo chaps available at a local store so I was looking at the Echo site for more info and discovered this

Look at the warning in BLUE at the bottom of the attached pic

While I have no plans to buy an electric saw I thought I would post this so more of you have this info on hand in case anyone asks for a recommendation

I looked at Labonville and Husqvarna and I didn't see a similar warning

upload_2019-11-29_9-2-36.png

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t think any chaps are rated to stop an electric saw just because of the high torque nature of an electric motor. The fibers can’t bind the chain and bar hard enough to stop the chain.

I had never even considered that before

I hope Joe Homeowner reads all the disclaimers then before he starts cutting

Scary proposition

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
7:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This isn’t to say that they won’t stop the saw or reduce the injuries you could get from the electric chainsaw but they don’t guarantee them to stop it. Also not sure if this applies to just the corded 110v or if the battery ones have enough torque to keep pulling the fibers or if they’ll stop.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
7:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To me sounds like all the manufacturers need to put a clutch on the electric saws similar to a gas one. If you cut your chaps and the fibers start to bind the chain and overcome the friction drive of the clutch.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To me sounds like all the manufacturers need to put a clutch on the electric saws similar to a gas one. If you cut your chaps and the fibers start to bind the chain and overcome the friction drive of the clutch.

I know zero about electric chainsaws but I would certainly agree with you

Part of the problem as I see it is there is no warning about this on the retail store site I was on (Home Depot)

My son works for them and told me to look at the chaps and I looked at several brands and styles and none had the no electric saw warning on the web ad

I only found it by digging deeper on the Echo website

I would HOPE there is a warning on the box or instructions