Hillbilly grinder
Local time
12:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are the 660 hardwood spikes?
Any Stihl number?

If you have access to US IPL it’s the ones that don’t end in 0506 best I remember. I can’t access them on this iPhone

Here’s one I pulled from an eBay picture
1122 664 0503 and 0508

Last edited:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unfortunately, I bought this saw off of a forum and got a bit taken. Happy I split case, as it became apparent when the build was complete that there were issues.

First clue was starting the saw and it revving without issue with the chainbrake on. No chain movement with brake off? Then the hits kept on coming. Clear coated top cover, bad recoil, leaking caps, no bushings in top cover, bad tank vent, etc...

The new owner was such a sport about it, I threw in a custom badge for free.

IMG-20190113-WA0137.jpeg IMG-20190113-WA0103.jpeg IMG-20190113-WA0091.jpeg IMG-20190113-WA0089.jpeg IMG-20190113-WA0145.jpeg

ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have access to US IPL it’s the ones that don’t end in 0506 best I remember. I can’t access them on this iPhone

Here’s one I pulled from an eBay picture
1122 664 0503 and 0508
Thx, i found them in my IPLs

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unfortunately, I bought this saw off of a forum and got a bit taken. Happy I split case, as it became apparent when the build was complete that there were issues.

First clue was starting the saw and it revving without issue with the chainbrake on. No chain movement with brake off? Then the hits kept on coming. Clear coated top cover, bad recoil, leaking caps, no bushings in top cover, bad tank vent, etc...

View attachment 159505 View attachment 159506 View attachment 159507 View attachment 159508 View attachment 159509
Damn Al, none of that was noted in the sale ad?

ranchdadmike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 159505 View attachment 159506 View attachment 159507 View attachment 159508 View attachment 159509

Sadly, sales like those happen too often on these forums. Unlike CL, eBay, FBM, or other sale sites where contracts devolve into caveat emptor..I believe these forums should represent a higher moral standard. Forums in general are groups of individuals with shared interests..coming to share knowledge and access for the common good (even chainsaws) and should be ruled more by reciprocity (the golden rule, Matthew 7:12). My point is, we ought to be able to trust one another...at a minimum to be honest in information sharing, especially when money changes hands. It’s one thing to not know, and not admit it out of pride, but quite another to intentionally misrepresent the facts...although neither is honest. It has been my great fortune to deal with some outstanding individuals here who go out of their way to right the wrongs (of others most often) and I hate that one of them (Al) had to deal with a seller from the other side of the tracks (apparently). Kudos to you Doc for not slandering the guy or even sharing his name (as we all make mistakes), and perhaps the original seller will make it right with you. Kudos again for repairing its deficiencies like the pro you are, as I can honestly say I’m thrilled to be its new owner.

And no..the custom badge is NOT for sale so quit asking!

Last edited:

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hopefully the seller steps up and makes it right. Seller gotta step up to the plate, make contact and correct the issues.
That's why I'm looking for a set of cases for Al now. Let some stuff slip by and I'm gonna make it right sooner or later. I haven't forgot Al

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
9:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I have tons of 044/440 parts Al - let me know what you need for that and I'll send it your way...

Sadly, sales like those happen too often on these forums. Unlike CL, eBay, FBM, or other sale sites where contracts devolve into caveat emptor..I believe these forums should represent a higher moral standard.

My experiences on the forums have been overwhelmingly good. I've only had two bad experiences on OPE - one was a miscommunication/misunderstanding on both my part and the seller's part and was rectified fairly easily.

The other was just plain bad behavior on the seller's part and he's not been a member here for a long, long time. He pulled some fast ones on some other members here as well and was shown the exit...

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unfortunately, sometimes a used saw has almost as many issues as an Asian saw! No fun! Usually dealing with members is good business, but I did return an 044 I did not feel was as described. Must say, seller was VG about it, so I got no complaints.

Al, if you need an OEM 044 case, let me know. I have the one we ripped the crank out of for my Hybrid. I prefer flippy caps any way, and the Asian 440 cases seem to work just as well as OEM for me.

On decomps … I like em, and wish all my saws had them! I usually don't use them on a cold start, but for a warm start when I'm standing (balancing) on top of a wood pile, I'll use it every time.

Also, sometimes on a cold day, that oil in your cylinder just gets a little thick, and it is nice to have it. I don't enjoy having the cord ripped out of your hand when it is cold!