Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
3:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
budgets on these saws have a tendency to get away from ya. from what I've found, the only real way to make money on these is to part them out, or to get the parts saws complete and for free. even then its tricky. gotta know what a saw is worth in nice condition, and then subtract from there when you are buying parts saws.

looking good. run it! :)

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't buy or build it with the intention of flipping. Sadly, I have not sold a saw in a few years and the last two 036 I had intended to sell or trade for a 200t I grew fond of. I was looking to build a decent loaner saw with the $40 - 350. Since it had a 346 top end I figured what the heck? Everyone seems to rave about the 346xp so it's been on my "list" for a while. I will see how I like it. I hope to get a chance to run it this week or next weekend.

Now I need an Echo 50cc and I can do my own 50cc shootout.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was able to test start the 346 tonight. A few pulls and it started really nice. I wasn't able to do much besides a few test revs and let it idle, but with the initial settings it was idling around 2800 and revved to 13,000-13,200. Turned it off and let it sit and it fired back up nicely. Can't wait to try it in some wood.

What should this turn rpm wise after it is broken in? 14,000 ish?

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
9:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was able to test start the 346 tonight. A few pulls and it started really nice. I wasn't able to do much besides a few test revs and let it idle, but with the initial settings it was idling around 2800 and revved to 13,000-13,200. Turned it off and let it sit and it fired back up nicely. Can't wait to try it in some wood.

What should this turn rpm wise after it is broken in? 14,000 ish?
I like to go fat in the beginning, maybe you are a bit fat with 13.2k.
Most of the 346 I got is OE's, 13,5k is where I prefer them to be as beginners, later I tune them to around 14k

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very good. Once I run it more that will give me something to shoot for.

My modified bar seems to make a nice light oil mist. I may switch it with l the K095 bar on my 5100s at some point to make sure it is oiling as it should.

Thanks for all of the build help guys! It gives you a good feeling when it starts and runs that first time.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Re-read this thread in search for info about the rim drive conversion. I have a 2150 with a 325 spur. I also had an extra clutch from the 55 Husky parts pile. Splines weren't quite kosher so here I am. I found a very good thread for these saws and wanted to post. Many of you have participated in it so it won't be new to you... husqvarna-340-345-350-jonsered-2141-2145-2150-information. If I learn of my solution, I'll post. In the mean time, if someone has the specifics please share. Pretty sure I didn't miss it?

@Backtroller Didn't think you'd mind this post. This is shaping up to be the consummate thread on these saws here on opie.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Re-read this thread in search for info about the rim drive conversion. I have a 2150 with a 325 spur. I also had an extra clutch from the 55 Husky parts pile. Splines weren't quite kosher so here I am. I found a very good thread for these saws and wanted to post. Many of you have participated in it so it won't be new to you... husqvarna-340-345-350-jonsered-2141-2145-2150-information. If I learn of my solution, I'll post. In the mean time, if someone has the specifics please share. Pretty sure I didn't miss it?

@Backtroller Didn't think you'd mind this post. This is shaping up to be the consummate thread on these saws here on opie.
I just bought an Oregon rim drum from Dave. Went on ok, but had to use the plastic oil worm from a 346. I believe one of my 350's came with the worm that had a metal coil around it for threads to drive the pump. I tried the plastic one and it fit. But I can't remember why I didn't use the metal coil one. I'm not sure if it would have worked or not

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the rim conversion that I used. I had planned on using it with the 350, but it now resides on the 346. The plastic worm from the 350 was NOT the same as the one that came on the 346 image.jpg image.jpg
Edited for wrong info

Last edited:

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the rim conversion that I used. I had planned on using it with the 359, but it now resides on the 346. The plastic worm from the 350 was the same as the one that came on the 346 View attachment 49775 View attachment 49776
That's the one that came on one of my 350's. The metal coil one came on the other like this. I used the plastic one
$_57.jpg

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I'm not mistaken they both had the same oiler tooimage.jpgeven got my decal. I'll see how the hammer finish gray holds up. image.jpg

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never saw your thread. I might be modifying mine once I get to use it enough to see how much oil it uses.

Very nice write up

Chainganger

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I did the rim conversion on a 350
Baileys has a write up on it in their question and answer section on rim drives
I did a 3/8 rim drive on a 350 to 346xp p/c conversion
Be careful the 346 worm drive might be the wrong size I think I tried it and had to use the 350 plastic worm drive
Note the splines will fit sloppily on the worm drive ( the worm drive female part on the plastic is larger than the thickness of the splines) it will still work
If you are anal about it you can fix this by using a bolt with a long part near the head that is not threaded (I am sure there is a word for this but do not know it) that fits over the worm drive diameter perfectly and the splines, put grease on the bolt and a little JB weld on top of the worm drive grooves where the spline sits, grease the splines and press on top of the worm drive into the JB weld and press to fit
After hardening pull the parts apart and off the bolt and sand it all down to correct depth and the slop between worm drive and splines is gone
Otherwise plan on replacing the worm drive more often because of the loose fit

Last edited:

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks really great Pat.

Might spoil you and make you abandon that little 026 ya got there.

Muh ha ha ha...
It has big shoes to fill. I really like the 026 and enjoy running it. I need more run time on this Husky for sure.

I do question the build quality of the Husky. I bought 3 new OEM top cover clips and of the 3, the plastic on 2 have broke and now if i don't remember to hold them, they will fly when I pop them off. They broke from very little use. Some aspects of it are cool and totally different from my Stihl and Dolmars which I can appreciate. I wouldn't mind owning another.

I'm sure that this 346xp is a really nice saw, but once my little 026 gets MOFO'd I think the muffler modded Husky will be sent to my dad's so I can get my 421 back.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't buy or build it with the intention of flipping. Sadly, I have not sold a saw in a few years and the last two 036 I had intended to sell or trade for a 200t I grew fond of. I was looking to build a decent loaner saw with the $40 - 350. Since it had a 346 top end I figured what the heck? Everyone seems to rave about the 346xp so it's been on my "list" for a while. I will see how I like it. I hope to get a chance to run it this week or next weekend.

Now I need an Echo 50cc and I can do my own 50cc shootout.

I've got a 200t and a 201t here if you decide you want to trade something. I dont need both...

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I may have spoken too soon with the worm drive grooves. I took apart my oiler to mod it like Jason wrote up. I noticed that the worm gear in my saw was NOT the same one that came out of my 350. Here's a pic to show the differences. The number on the worm drive that works with this Oregon drum is 503 89 21

The working one is the top or cleaner one image.jpg