Hate to say it...

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Friction modifiers are not found in two cycle oils.
Most two cycle oils dont have corrosion inhibitors either beyond what protection is offorded by the buffering capacity of calcium and magnesium detergents.

From my research some do, they however do not burn the cleanest. I believe Schaffer's actually does contain some molybdenum disulfide. Yes calcium is normal additive for corrosion. I believe Motul 800 has a bit of zinc, which is great for metal to metal contact and corrosion, but leaves hard deposits behind.

The best 2T oils rely on quality base stocks and polymer additives BIP.[emoji111]

Last edited:

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If Schaeffers does indeed contain moly its in a rare territory. Regardless, its not well suited for air cooled motors.
Calcium isnt specifically an anti corrosion additive. Its primarily a detergent. It really doesent provide for much protection. Especially when used with ester oils.
Personally I do not want a two cycle oil with zinc in it. Its mainly added to 4 cycle oils to prevent camshaft wear. Especially engines with flat tappets. In a two cycle it really doesnt offer much. To the contrary it will build up on the piston crown and head, which causes pre ignition in high strung motors.

Last edited:

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If Schaeffers does indeed contain moly its in a rare territory. Regardless, its not well suited for air cooled motors.
Calcium isnt specifically an anti corrosion additive. Its primarily a detergent. It really doesent provide for much protection. Especially when used with ester oils.
Personally I do not want a two cycle oil with zinc in it. Its mainly added to 4 cycle oils to prevent camshaft wear. Especially engines with flat tappets. In a two cycle it really doesnt offer much. To the contrary it will build up on the piston crown and head, which causes pre ignition in high strung motors.
[emoji106]

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From my research some do, they however do not burn the cleanest. I believe Schaffer's actually does contain some molybdenum disulfide. Yes calcium is normal additive for corrosion. I believe Motul 800 has a bit of zinc, which is great for metal to metal contact and corrosion, but leaves hard deposits behind.

The best 2T oils rely on quality base stocks and polymer additives BIP.[emoji111]
What I took from running Motul 800 was that it wasn't combusting fully. I had zero deposits running it at 32:1. It seemed to lube great, but everything was clean and wet. Almost washing the cylinder

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What I took from running Motul 800 was that it wasn't combusting fully. I had zero deposits running it at 32:1. It seemed to lube great, but everything was clean and wet. Almost washing the cylinder
I had the same results, left a bit of a mess around the muffler port, that was with a crisp tune too.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
P..P..P--BIP base stock. I thought bright stock was the new fad for its pop up style piston compression increasing properties along with aiding a high velocity exhaust port.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had the same results, left a bit of a mess around the muffler port, that was with a crisp tune too.
I have ran it in a Stihl 260 and a Husky 562. It burnt clean in both. The 260 was setup with a 16" 3/8 chain and was used to cut mostly standing dead red oak which was dry and hard. If you did much limbing the exhaust would get wet, but as long as the bar was burried most of the time it ran clean. This was at 32:1. Of course the 562 rain clean no matter the wood due to Auto Tune. Its worth noting that the MS260 is notoriously sensitive to changes in load and temp and it requires alot of work to keep it running right.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
9:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you're an engineer for a saw maker, I'd think you'd have to decide what to offer as far as product/ consumable/ how the hell are these guys gonna run this thing..

Then compromise on something "serviceable" for device and recommended consumable..

Not sure I'd want that job..

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have ran it in a Stihl 260 and a Husky 562. It burnt clean in both. The 260 was setup with a 16" 3/8 chain and was used to cut mostly standing dead red oak which was dry and hard. If you did much limbing the exhaust would get wet, but as long as the bar was burried most of the time it ran clean. This was at 32:1. Of course the 562 rain clean no matter the wood due to Auto Tune. Its worth noting that the MS260 is notoriously sensitive to changes in load and temp and it requires alot of work to keep it running right.
With stock exhaust you won't see as much unburnt oil, with a really open muffler the temps never get hot enough to burn the oil off. Even with lower flash point oils with an open muffler you can see a bit of oil, no big deal it doesn't hurt anything.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
With stock exhaust you won't see as much unburnt oil, with a really open muffler the temps never get hot enough to burn the oil off. Even with lower flash point oils with an open muffler you can see a bit of oil, no big deal it doesn't hurt anything.
True. My mufflers are all opened up, including the 260 but not to a ridiculous extent.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks very good Julian. Tough to argue with those results. [emoji106]

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Exactly my findings.
I’ll see if I can find a pic of (2) 10mm 044 slugs that had around 10gal of fuel on em....

Exactly how they came out of the saws.
These were Meteor slugs that were replaced with OEM when I discovered the pin boss issue with Meteor

800 2T @ 32:1 with VP C9 on one and pump gas on the other
6290AA7B-EB2C-4AB4-9E4D-6D7A2598241F.jpeg

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly my findings.
I’ll see if I can find a pic of (2) 10mm 044 slugs that had around 10gal of fuel on em....

Exactly how they came out of the saws.
These were Meteor slugs that were replaced with OEM when I discovered the pin boss issue with Meteor

800 2T @ 32:1 with VP C9 on one and pump gas on the other
View attachment 125967
Them there pistones is clean!!!

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
tuned out past 4 stroke and a good load put on it will carbon

Well that sounds like a party! Actually....doesn’t sound good at all. Why purposely lean out a saw or any engine? And how long you gotta run it to make sure it’s making carbon deposits?

Any modern bike oil is designed to protect a liquid cooled engine running WFO for 20 straight minutes

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well that sounds like a party! Actually....doesn’t sound good at all. Why purposely lean out a saw or any engine? And how long you gotta run it to make sure it’s making carbon deposits?

Any modern bike oil is designed to protect a liquid cooled engine running WFO for 20 straight minutes

About 9’ milling will have a black ashy piston top

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
9:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Not alot actually Jeremy. My 461 tuned to about 14600 cutting 20" firewood would completely cover the piston crown on 800t in probably 5 tanks. If I back the tune down to about 13500 it would probably keep a clean piston in 20" wood