High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Has the 661 been proven like the 066/660?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can make the same arguments on the air filtration with the 066/660, and the price of a 661 is no more than they were. To me, the new 661 is a much better deal, a much stronger saw out of the box.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
660 didn't let near as much through as the 661. Might have to clean 7 times a day.

I presume you are talking about milling with it??? I can't imagine it would get that dirty that quick cutting green wood.

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I honestly can't believe people are still scared of mtronic and autotunes. But I guess I'm used to em I've been running them what 7 or 8 years never a problem...

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same here, I would keep a 066 for milling and have a 661 for cutting.

However your 066/660 looks to be a very strong running saw!

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
here is the problem with 661's or any mtronic/autotune

1. not running correctly
2. taking 3,4,5, 10 pulls to restart after shutting them off
3. not restarting after refueling unless leaving them sit to cool off
4. in allot of cases multiple new solenoids/modules per year to keep them running.....last one i worked on the poor guy had installed 3 solenoids in something like 8 months...thats roughly $100 per crack for diagnostic/parts. considering the old 660 would run a year without touching it and these require multiple trips per year to even keep them usable for a guy that puts a gallon+ of fuel per day thru them....that alone is enough to not like using one commercially. And before the excuses come that it is the fuel or oil he is running....his 6400 has been in service for the same time period using the same fuel without so much as a hiccup and the 660 even longer.

5. only a stihl dealer can work on them(electrically) and in our case locally its over an hour drive minimum to get to a dealer that has a clue on Mtronic

we could go into the pistons and P&C kits....I've sold more 661 pistons than 066/660 pistons....maybe thats just a coincidence though but the piss poor filtration of the 661 isnt just a fluke, thats a fairly well documented issue.

If i would have had 4 of the euro setups on hand today I could have sold 4 to a logger to get rid of the mtronic on all 4 of his saws but i only had 2 so he bought 2 and is waiting on me to get 2 more so he is rid of mtronic completely.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I may end up needing some more grunt than the Mike Lee 440 this winter. While I have had and like the 066/660 saws, the 661 looks like an big improvement. I know the early 661's had some issues but seem to be ok now as any new saw will have a trail and error peroid. I would use my last NIB 440 as a straight trade or sell it, don't really want to part with that saw but not doing me much good sitting in a box.

What does the OPE say, is the 661 worth the investment?
Nope

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
here is the problem with 661's or any mtronic/autotune

1. not running correctly
2. taking 3,4,5, 10 pulls to restart after shutting them off
3. not restarting after refueling unless leaving them sit to cool off
4. in allot of cases multiple new solenoids/modules per year to keep them running.....last one i worked on the poor guy had installed 3 solenoids in something like 8 months...thats roughly $100 per crack for diagnostic/parts. considering the old 660 would run a year without touching it and these require multiple trips per year to even keep them usable for a guy that puts a gallon+ of fuel per day thru them....that alone is enough to not like using one commercially. And before the excuses come that it is the fuel or oil he is running....his 6400 has been in service for the same time period using the same fuel without so much as a hiccup and the 660 even longer.

5. only a stihl dealer can work on them(electrically) and in our case locally its over an hour drive minimum to get to a dealer that has a clue on Mtronic

we could go into the pistons and P&C kits....I've sold more 661 pistons than 066/660 pistons....maybe thats just a coincidence though but the piss poor filtration of the 661 isnt just a fluke, thats a fairly well documented issue.

If i would have had 4 of the euro setups on hand today I could have sold 4 to a logger to get rid of the mtronic on all 4 of his saws but i only had 2 so he bought 2 and is waiting on me to get 2 more so he is rid of mtronic completely.
Oddly enough, I've had no troubles with my 241 nor 261 m-tronics. The latter is quite new, the former many years of use. So I don't know if all m-tronic saws or the tech itself could be justly written off across the board. Perhaps there's something specific to the m-tronic on 661 or larger displacement saws, other than the other problems many have had with their 661s. Or perhaps I've just been lucky with the smaller m-tronics to date?

I agree the closed-shop electronics is a worry. Hopefully someone can come up with a copy of their diagnostic tools.

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oddly enough, I've had no troubles with my 241 nor 261 m-tronics. The latter is quite new, the former many years of use. So I don't know if all m-tronic saws or the tech itself could be justly written off across the board. Perhaps there's something specific to the m-tronic on 661 or larger displacement saws, other than the other problems many have had with their 661s. Or perhaps I've just been lucky with the smaller m-tronics to date?

I agree the closed-shop electronics is a worry. Hopefully someone can come up with a copy of their diagnostic tools.
I actually started stocking the fuel solenoids because of 261's and 362's but back when i started stocking them they were only $15 so it was an easy choice when checking out a saw and cleaning the carb to just throw a new one on and dont look back but in stihl's quest for money they decided fuel solenoids were a hot seller and upped the price to almost $50.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I purchased one (that I never used) for $25 not long ago. They also really upped the price of pistons from $50 to over $90 for the same saw! Oh well, thank goodness for AM parts, or it could be worse!

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I actually started stocking the fuel solenoids because of 261's and 362's but back when i started stocking them they were only $15 so it was an easy choice when checking out a saw and cleaning the carb to just throw a new one on and dont look back but in stihl's quest for money they decided fuel solenoids were a hot seller and upped the price to almost $50.
Is this playing into the hands of the Japanese saws? People not wanting to be held hostage to Stihl's proprietary tech/parts. Or is there a standard carb option for every m-tronic model these days?

Last edited: