High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Has the 661 been proven like the 066/660?

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't like the new 661. 461 is decent. I'll take a 046 or 066 all day long. They cut better are more nimble, and more dependable. I will own any 394 or 395 over a 661 all day long.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
7:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Edwin, you got a great deal on that 661, I predict you are going to love it! Keep us posted!
Thanks, Mike. Weather is too cold these days for me to run it hard. I'm servicing the extra 30" bars that came along with it and building chain loops for them. Believe me, this saw will see lots of service. That's why my 064 and 660 are so jealous. Both of them want to take a shot at this newcomer. Frankly, I can't blame them because both are proven performers, and this is the new kid on the block.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Resurrecting this thread to ask a couple questions I didn't see addressed.

How can Stihl expect that *s-wordty HD filtering setup to work at all without using a pre-filter? And how much would using a pre-filter help (if at all)? Also wondering how well the M-tronic compensates for the differences in air flow when adding a pre-filter or switching to a MaxFlow setup. I gather quite well?

Last edited:

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

How can Stihl expect that *s-wordty HD filtering setup to work at all without using a pre-filter? And how much would using a pre-filter help (if at all)? Also wondering how well the M-tronic compensates for the differences in air flow when adding a pre-filter or switching to a MaxFlow setup. I gather quite well?

Max Flow FTW!!

You’ll ask yourself Why you didn’t do it the 1st day!

b51fd3e671a7ebfc7a3cda6a3f7d1c8b.jpg

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Pre-filters don't do sh!t if you use the stock cover, it just makes a *s-wordty filtration system even worse...max-flow is the way to go on these

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't like the new 661. 461 is decent. I'll take a 046 or 066 all day long. They cut better are more nimble, and more dependable. I will own any 394 or 395 over a 661 all day long.

A 661 is a good tree service saw, not an all day every day saw...just my opinion.

I "personally" wouldn't bank on one logging.

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
7:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A 661 is a good tree service saw, not an all day every day saw. I "personally" wouldn't bank on one logging.
I could show your post to a logger with 25 years of experience and who swears by his three 661's. He brought in over 70 flat bed bunk trailer loads of logs with his 661's this past year -- over 2.5 million pounds. I wonder what he would say?

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could show your post to a logger with 25 years of experience and who swears by his three 661's. He brought in over 70 flat bed bunk trailer loads of logs with his 661's this past year -- over 2.5 million pounds. I wonder what he would say?

I could show you a bunch of loggers that got about 100 hours out of a 661 that hate them from failing solenoids and busted AV mounts.

Then what would he say ?

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the input. This is a tree service saw, not mine. Second time I've rebuilt it in the past 3 months. Will spare the details. It needed an air filter among other things this time around. I just went with the HD and a pre-filter like it was set up originally (even though they don't even come with a pre-filter). The operator is real conscientious about the filtering and cleans it daily, but I wish I'd seen this thread and the vid before getting him the HD setup again. Will certainly suggest it to him, but he's had to put a lot of money into this saw over the past couple of months and I know things are pretty tight for him right about now.

I still find it amazing how poor the stock filtration is on these saws..., even compared to the 066/MS660. Ridiculous.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the input. This is a tree service saw, not mine. Second time I've rebuilt it in the past 3 months. Will spare the details. It needed an air filter among other things this time around. I just went with the HD and a pre-filter like it was set up originally (even though they don't even come with a pre-filter). The operator is real conscientious about the filtering and cleans it daily, but I wish I'd seen this thread and the vid before getting him the HD setup again. Will certainly suggest it to him, but he's had to put a lot of money into this saw over the past couple of months and I know things are pretty tight for him right about now.

I still find it amazing how poor the stock filtration is on these saws..., even compared to the 066/MS660. Ridiculous.

Seems like guys either get a ringer or a dud.

I don't use the 661s I have all that often but the one stocker I have you have to hold the throttle open just to get it to start, other than that it runs ok.

Last edited:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The smaller mtron saws any better Ryan?

I'm actually having a 201T give me some sh!t and my first 241 is starting to act funny..idk what it is yet, I'll try new solenoids and see where it goes.

I can't *b-word on the 241..I've ran it a good bit the last 4 years.

This 201 is about 2 months old...I'm pissed.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmmm. Not good. Change in seasons or weather have anything to do with it?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I agree about the filter. The old 660 screw on design is actually better seal on filter than the twist lock.